Do you use a “water ball”?

Scott F

I Putter Around
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
You know what I mean. You come up to a par 3 that is all carry over water. You keep the Pro V1 in your pocket and tee up the Top Flite you found the other day. Or on a hole with deep woods lining the right side of the fairway and you don’t want to risk losing that $4 ball, so you play an old, scuffed up ball just in case. Is this something low handicappers don’t do?

Nope going with my gamer.

Now my daughter...you can find her digging out one of my balls on any hole that has water. 😂

heck no, i know people that do it, but your just saying there is a more than 50% chance e you can't get it over the water, Club up Karen

Nope got to trust it

I'm not a low handicapper and don't play $4 balls, but I do use a "water ball" on those risky holes.

I guess it depends on my game that day. There are days I trust getting my gamer over the carry and others where I feel it’s best to switch. The last round I trusted the gamer ball, I put it in the drink although I had been playing pretty confidently up to that point. :rolleyes:

I don't. I get used to a feel and flight of a certain ball, so I don't want to change it when it becomes important.

Anytime I play a hole that has any water on it, I consider the ball I'm using a water ball.

Nope not concerned about water or woods.

Alright so here’s the weird thing I do...

When I golf on Saturday or at nicer courses I use the Golf Balls numbered 1 or 2. When I play less than attractive courses I use Number 4, and if I have none of those Number 3.

If at the nicer course I don’t have my A game and lose 2 Golf balls then I will reach for a #3 or #4 Golf Ball.

I don’t, because for me it means I’ve mentally accepted defeat before even hitting the ball. But I know many who do, to each their own (y)

I don’t even think about the water, so no I don’t. I really don’t understand the mentality of taking that into consideration because you are using a ball you are used to.

I sure do, my handicap says it all. If I was a single digit handicap I probably wouldn't be scared of water either lol.

Nope. As others have said, it’s basically telling yourself you’re going to hit it into the water. My home course has a par 3 that’s a carry over water, it honestly doesn’t bother me. It doesn’t even cross my mind there is water there. That all being said, I can see how it would intimidate a high handicapper, and I remember being cautious around water when I was starting out.

I used to until a friend/mentor told me that the best way to hit it into the water is to assume it is going there by pulling out a ball strictly for that purpose.

I don’t, because for me it means I’ve mentally accepted defeat before even hitting the ball. But I know many who do, to each their own (y)
Was coming to say the same thing. I heard some commentator during an event on TV say the same thing, if you grab a water ball, you've already planned to hit a bad shot.

Was coming to say the same thing. I heard some commentator during an event on TV say the same thing, if you grab a water ball, you've already planned to hit a bad shot.
I tell my HS kids that all the time, because it’s true.

But I’m also the coach that when they kit over water in practice I use the word water about 100 times to either make them fold or get over the fear :ROFLMAO:

no
id be more concerned marring my club with that rock top flite than hitting a butter ball in the water..

No. They make golf balls every day.

I tell my HS kids that all the time, because it’s true.

But I’m also the coach that when they kit over water in practice I use the word water about 100 times to either make them fold or get over the fear :ROFLMAO:
We have one par three over water on our course, and it always plays long. Even if I'm hitting the ball ok, I take extra club because it always comes up short of the number you expect. As much as I hate bunkers, I'd rather be in the bunkers behind the green than the water.

it depends how i'm playing that day. usually no but if i am having one of those really crappy days then yes.

also, if i already put 1 in the water, the next ball for sure is a junk ball from the bottom of the bag....lol

Water, what water? I don't let it get in my head. My head is full of enough things that screw with my golf game! 🤪

Back