Do You Use Your 3-Wood?

You need the right 3 wood - whether it is a shallow face or shorter length or adjust the swing weight, or the right shaft -

I've gone from 42.5 inch to 43 inches - I may grip down on the 43, depending on the lie.

Don't know your issue but my own recipe for success off the deck with a 3-4 wd is a shallow face, metallic tink for a hot feel, high MOI (weight in back), forgiving face (ball speed monster), low kick 55g shaft. We will all vary. It took me time to find the recipe for my swing.

Prior to this season, my primary fairway wood was a 20 degree Heavenwood. I struggled to hit a 3w other than off the tee. This season, thanks to THP and Cobra, I had Speedzone woods in the bag, 14.5 degree 3w and 18.5 degree 5w. I was able to hit both from off the fairway. The Speedzone fairways were the stars of my bag this season. Easy to launch from most any lie and long.

You need the right 3 wood - whether it is a shallow face or shorter length or adjust the swing weight, or the right shaft -

I've gone from 42.5 inch to 43 inches - I may grip down on the 43, depending on the lie.

Don't know your issue but my own recipe for success off the deck with a 3-4 wd is a shallow face, metallic tink for a hot feel, high MOI (weight in back), forgiving face (ball speed monster), low kick 55g shaft. We will all vary. It took me time to find the recipe for my swing.

I fully understand and agree. I am working with my coach (who also does club fitting), and I'm sure we'll find the right formula for me moving forward.

I LOVE my 3 wood. Use it off the tee and from the fairway when I need to. My driver started misbehaving this summer and I went several rounds where 3 wood was all I hit off the tee. Very consistent but I do give up some yardage over my driver. I’m playing a Tour Edge E8. Great club.

OMG - I hated the Rogue Woods. No spin, tough to launch up there for me. Other guys loved them. They hit my Rogue woods with the GD AD F 65 shaft and ball go high and far. If I could get them to spin...
Yeah I couldnt hit the 3 to save my life, all low worm burner bananas, but the 4 wood was a blind buy, recommended by THPers, and its worked out pretty well. Sometimes I don't even bother with my driver off the tee

I gave up on trying to use a 3 wood since I only was able to hit it off the tee, and not well. Went to a 4 wood and it has been a big help off the deck and off the tee.

Nope. Gave it to my son and get by with my 19° hybrid

Yep .... 2nd shots into par 5's, tee shots on short par 4's .... I use a strong 3-wood too 13.5* :eek:

Use mine a lot off the tee. I went from a stronger 13.5* to 15 just so it didn’t come as close to the driver.
like you I’ve kinda been thinking about a 4W just get even more separation from the driver and a better gap to my driving 3iron.

Yep .... 2nd shots into par 5's, tee shots on short par 4's .... I use a strong 3-wood too 13.5* :eek:

My current 3-Wood is 14*. My ideal would be to use a fairway wood into longer par 5s to leave myself with shorter 3rd shots (if not chip shots when I'm lucky).

My current 3-Wood is 14*. My ideal would be to use a fairway wood into longer par 5s to leave myself with shorter 3rd shots (if not chip shots when I'm lucky).
Easier to control too. SO if I really need to hit the fairway & the hole isn't too long ... it's either the 3-wood or the 2-iron (y)

I don’t even carry a 3 wood. Longest club for me after the driver is a heavenwood. Great club, so easy to hit off the deck.

I do not own a 3W. And my 5W is collecting dust. My long game need professional help.

Easier to control too. SO if I really need to hit the fairway & the hole isn't too long ... it's either the 3-wood or the 2-iron (y)

I'm working on more consistency and distance with my Driver. In the past, there were times I was very comfortable with Driver in my hands, and I know I can get back to that confidence. I guess I've never played fairway woods all that much, so I've never gained much confidence in using them. This past season, I often found myself using a hybrid or long iron off the tee because Driver was too inconsistent and too often resulted in penalty strokes.

I do not own a 3W. And my 5W is collecting dust. My long game need professional help.

I certainly know this feeling which is why I've been taking lessons (and getting properly fitted).

I use mine a fair amount. It is predominantly a tee club for me. But, I am not afraid to take a crack at the green on par 5's if I have space.

I kind of switch between 3W and 3H even though there is quite a difference in loft. The 3H is a big easier. One thing I should be doing is using 3W off the tee more. The 3W is a bit tricky off the fairway.

I use it at least four times a round. Two on par 5s and two off the tee are the guaranteed shots. And then use it as needed the rest of the round depending on how the driver is acting that day.

It used to be one of my most reliable clubs in the bag. Towards the end of the season however, I developed a pretty wicked hook and it became more of a hinderance. But that was on me, not the club. Especially since it came out of nowhere. Once I get that figured out. It will become a major weapon for me again

I have a 3w lofted up to 17*.... I love it, hit the crap out of it, but hardly ever truly need it. I mainly hit it off the tee solely bc I haven't hit it in a couple rounds. I never need a 3w on an approach for a par 5 so truthfully its kind of a wasted spot in my bag

Sometimes I question why I keep mine in the bag. I can hit all the par 5's on my home course with a hybrid or less (not a flex, just a short course haha), and if I absolutely need to hit it straight off the tee, I'll probably opt for a 4 iron instead of a 3 wood. The question is: What would it be replaced by?

In the past I used it quite a bit off the tee. Lately though I only used it maybe once a round so I've switched out out for a 5 wood. I think that should still be helpful off the tee but will be much more versatile and will get used more.

I don't use my 3wood often, sometimes as a fairway finder on shorter or dogleg holes. I use my 3U from Srixon ALOT more. I cannot hit my 3wood off the deck so I don't even reach for it on Par 5's. I will layup to a nice comfortable yardage or just hit the 3U as far as it will go on shorter Par 5's. I recently just changed my 3W shaft and shortened it 1 inch. I haven' had much time to work on it though so i don't know if that will help, as I did the same thing with my Driver in August and that has been working very well for me so far.

I use my 3W off the tee a lot. Probably more than I use my driver.

I also use my 3W quite often off fairway. There's a 570 yard par 5 hole that I hit three, 3Ws to get to the green.

I tee the 3W ball much lower (1/4" inch) to the ground than my driver ball. I also place the ball maybe a ball width more forward than if I was hitting off the fairway. I do this so that I can use my 3W fairway swing. It's a comfort thing with me.

It just depends how much open space in front of me off the tee, and how far the hazards are, as to when I use my driver. That, and off the tee, there's less than 20 yards difference between the two clubs.

Truth be known I could take my driver out of my bag, and not miss it, scoring wise.

Last edited:
I use it at most 4-5 times a round. I’m starting to wonder if I’d be better off going the 2 driver route. One set up for easy draws and one set up for easy fades. Or maybe a short driver built for accuracy and a second as a bomber.

Back