Do You Use Your 3-Wood?

3 wood is an important club for me. At my home course, I hit it at least twice off the tee. I also use it regularly into par 5’s.

I use mine both off the deck and off of tees. I have a TM Rocket 3 which is 14* with an Oban Isawa stiff flex. I love the club and hit it very consistently.

My 3w was decorative for about a decade until I was fitted into the Titleist TS3 last year and it opened up a whole new part of my game.

For the past couple of seasons, I've gone with a driver-4w-3h setup at the top of the bag, and it's worked well for me. I get better results off the deck with a 4w than I did with the 3w, and it's not all that much shorter of an option on tighter holes than the 3w was.

I love my 3 wood. It’s an adams Tightlies from 2014ish. I’ve tried to upgrade it but the easy of hitting it off the deck is something I haven’t been able to find with another model.

I go right from driver to a 17* 4w that has been cut down an inch.

I use mine a lot. Both from the tee and the fairway.

I love my 3 and 5 wood. Money clubs for me. 5 wood can sit on a green from 220 with no issue. 3 wood is either a tee shot or 240+ I’m gonna give it a go club.

Mine is a 4, mainly my go to on shorter par 4’s

Seriously thinking about retiring my 3W and 3H and replacing it with a 5W. Hit some balls on the range last week (3W & 5W). 5W is easier to hit and distance is farther, especially off the turf.

Up until about this time last year I had never really used a 3w and had zero intention to do so. Had no confidence in them, couldn't elevate them off the fairway and had just as much chance of carving a big slice off the tee as I did a driver. But then I went for my MC Cobra fitting, and the fitter gave me a SZ 3 wood with a Tensei Orange shaft. Hadn't even been on the radar, was going to be straight from 5w into hybrid under the driver but this just flat outperformed in every way. Straight off the tee and an absolute cannon off the fairway - I'm never going to be without a decent 3w again.

I have the 15° Epic Flash Sub Zero in my bag, and depending on the wind and tee positions at my home club, it can go multiple rounds without being used, or it can be used more than driver off the tee

Off the deck, there aren't many holes where I would use it at my home course, but generally it is a club I am comfortable hitting

I'll use my 3W occasionally off the tee and stay away from it as much as possible off the deck. I will only use it off the fairway if the lie is perfect and I'm into a pretty sizeable wind.

I haven't used a 3w in like 10 years. Just don't use it enough. I carry 5w though set at 17 deg and that seems to be a better distance for the courses I play. Tee and off the deck.

Last edited:
As I continue to work on tee shots with my coach, I will eventually get into a conversation about what to do about fairway woods. I think I tried to hit my 3-Wood once or twice all season, and it was never a great result. I've been considering maybe a 4 or 5-Wood since it would still give me some distance, but it would likely be easier to hit. In addition, I would still have hybrids as an option, but I could see myself possibly going for a 4 or 5-Wood given the right result off the tee into a longer par 5. During this past season, I was far more likely to hit my hybrids instead.

How many of you use a 3-Wood?

How many of you have opted for a more lofted fairway wood (or even a hybrid) instead?
Tee off with it all the time.

I use mine. It's currently set at 16 degrees, so more like a 4 wood. I use it from the tee frequently. Not so much from the deck.

love my 3 wood but don't use it as much off the tee anymore...

Yes, added a Ping G410 SFT 3 wood mid summer after several years of 3 hybrid as my next club after driver. Found the 3 wood works with a deliberate, controlled swing.

Last time I played 3w was acting up but usually I’m pretty consistent with it...
look forward to hearing perspective in upcoming #OffCourse episode

I hit mine better then my driver, so it has a permanent spot in the bag. I tested the cobra speedzone this summer & fell in love with it, but have not pulled the trigger on one yet because of this crazy year & loosing my overtime.

I replaced my 3w with the 4w when it hit me that I never hit the 3w off the tee. The bigger head and forgiveness of my tour length driver typically gives me better results in play then the 3w. So after about a year with the 4w in the bag, I realize I don't hit great shots with it on 220 yard approaches and MOST often it puts me in trouble or OB. So I am now playing the 3h. The 3h is not as long for me but typically it does not put me in trouble.

as a prior poster mentioned, it is important to know your limits

I use my 3 wood mainly as a tee club for more precision tee shots. I also carry a 5 wood that I use as a fairway club and really long par 3's.

More often than not I use my 3w on the tee because I can't swing a driver properly enough to keep the ball on the planet.

Back