Do You Use Your 3-Wood?

In addition to the other things Ive already mentioned in this thread, Id also like to suggest how a 3 (or even 5w) can sometimes be a recovery club. What I mean is this.....

.....And so I hit a really poor screwed up tee shot. Like I topped or flopped or burned one and it didnt travel far at all. Maybe 50, 70 etc yrds or whatever. But I have a good enough lie (which was exactly the case for me a couple times today) and so the 3w comes out and (if hit well enough which I did) Im not only at the area but even past the area where I would been had I hit good tee shot in the first place.

So the woods can often also be rescue clubs (given the right scenario) especially for one who may have a poorer day (or poorer few holes) from the tees that round. Ive used my 3w in that role countless amount of times through the years.

I tee off with my 3 wood on all par 4s and 5s. My driver has been shelved for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven’t pulled my 3 wood all season, just can’t get the swing down. I hit a 3 hybrid for anything less than driver or long shots from the fairway.

I use mine a lot off the Tee. Rarely from the FW as I will use the 5 wood there.

I use mine a lot off the Tee. Rarely from the FW as I will use the 5 wood there.
I see what you're saying because I was sort of in the same boat. I get away with using just a 4-wood in place of two clubs, a 3w and 5w. I hate bagging all those long clubs when I can get away with less and save space for the so-called scoring clubs. Also, a 4w travels about the same distance as a 3-wood and is easy to hit off the deck.

4 wood off tee when needed, 7 wood, 4 hybrid has worked great.

I use it quite a bit. Both off the tee and from the fairway.

I am done with the 3 wood for the next golf season. Going to try and use something like a utility and hybrid in place of it. I don't hit 3 wood very often anyways and don't have supreme confidence when I pull it. After listening to JB on the pod with Dan I have decided to remove it for the foreseeable future. Rather hit driver any day off the tee than 3 wood.

Love my 3W. TM Hi Launch. 17*. I had a 13* 3W but I hit this as long and much higher.

Love my 3W. TM Hi Launch. 17*. I had a 13* 3W but I hit this as long and much higher.
I guess you can stamp whatever number you want on a particular Club, but my 4 Wood is a 17 degree loft.

I use it 2 to 5 times a round off the tee on my home course, depending upon conditions. We only have 2 par 5s where I might hit it into the green, and that is pretty rare. The other 2 are short enough that, with a good tee shot, I can reach with an iron.

I was really intrigued by JB's and Dan's discussion on the podcast and may play without it for a while.

It's a really nice club to have at my home course - there are a few spots where driver might bring a dogleg into play, or OB off of one of the tee locations in case of a miss. So I'll take it out a couple times in a round. The flash isn't great for me off the deck, so I actually ordered a Heavenwood for those scenarios, where loft is my friend.

I am not using it much at all right now. Honestly if I am not hitting driver off the tee O am hitting 4u or 2u. I actually got the 2u because I rarely use either my 3W or 5W and just wanted another option. I can rotate one of the woods out the bag depending on the course I play.

Nope. The head is setting in a fellow members garage waiting for a shaft to be put in it. I was going to buy a Helium 5 Stiff shaft to put in it. I didn't get around to ordering it right away when I found one on 2nd swing golf. Went back to order it and it was gone. Once I find a high launch shaft for a decent price then I will try it out.

I guess you can stamp whatever number you want on a particular Club, but my 4 Wood is a 17 degree loft.
Agreed. My 4 wood is 16*.

Three wood is probably my favorite club in the bag along with my putter.

I use it every round. Off the tee and fairways. The B21 has given me renewed confidence.

I use my Speedzone 3 wood several times per round, most regularly on par 5's for 2nd shot, but I do have a certain hole at home course that I tee off with it and it performs really well for me. Super easy to hit from deck or off tee.

Prior to the Speedzone I had Epic Flash and Rogue 3 woods that I never got along with. Speedzone 3 wood is staying in my bag for a long time.

I switch between 3 and 4w off the tee depending on what setup I'm playing. I'll use mostly off the tee, usually 3-5 times a round. Maybe only 3-5 times per year off the fairway. I've been working to open up opportunities to play it off the fairway more often on Par 5's, but its still a calculated risk.

Almost never off the tee. The exception is when my tee ball doesn’t clear the tee, and I then have to deck it from the tee box. Ha.

It’s not my favorite club. If my lie is 100% I’ll likely just hit driver if the shot calls for a low cut. If it’s less than 80% I’ll probably just advance my 4h as far as I can.

I can hit it, it’s not that. It’s just not as long as driver nor as precise as the next club down. I play mine at 13* but I launch super high. Since CHS is down it’s not a moonball anymore but still goes higher than I’d like.

I am super confident right now with a fairway wood in hand. My 3 and 5 I can really pound the ball with right now. I am even hitting out of mild rough successfully with them. The V-Sole on the SIM lineup is something else.

I am playing my 3W mainly off the tee. This is the first time in the last decade that I have had a 3W in the bag. Just took me a long time to find one that I meshed with.

Haven't had a 3w in my bag for several years now. My longest fairway wood is my 5... it's almost as long as my 3w off the tees and MUCH longer and more consistent hitting off of he turf. Many of the people I play with do not carry a 3w.

It is very interesting to read the variety of viewpoints on this topic. I'll be making a decision in later January what would work best in my bag.

Back