Does an equipment change result a Golf Ball Change?

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I’ve used my Apex CF19 irons for exactly 3 roundd I’ve used the 2020 RX for 2 of those rounds and liked my results. Today I played Z-Star and my iron play was not up the last two rounds.

Now I know everyone has a bad day however it makes me wonder if I’ll be able to play the same ball (Z-Star XV) that I played my Rogue X irons last year with this year’s Apex CF19 irons.

Would or can a equipment change cause a ball change?

I mean there is less mass on the Apex vs. Rogue X irons. That has to have some effect on my ability to compress the ball.

Iron performance has to come before Driver performance?

or is all overthinking?

I think a ball can effect your game when switching irons. The faces are different in the two irons you stated, you will get different feel off of those irons and the ball may react differently.

Sure I suppose its possible. Ive been going back and forth with the Z Star and Z Star XV. Also the ProV1 and ProV1X, Kirkland , and Q Star Tour. There are days where I prefer the XV, but more often than not its the Z Star. I like the Pro V's as well but not the price and I just dont see a difference in my game with them.

If you’re switching irons or any club in your bag, yes you need to re calibrate your ball. Irons especially have so many specific spin and launch Characteristics that it’s impossible to assume that one ball for one iron is going to be the best ball for another iron.

Be open minded and try out a bunch of new balls with your new Apex...maybe one will really surprise you.

I had never even thought of this, great point!

I usually play the 2020 Chrome Soft, last night played the SRixon Q-Star Tour for some comparison. The ball does make a difference, I noticed a higher ball flight on the driver and irons, but also a very different feel on the putter.

That’s an interesting thought about how some golf balls perform better with different equipment. I am not sure why a say Chrome Soft would be a better performer with Callaway clubs vs say Titleist Prov and vice versa for a Titleist clubs.

That would be an interesting test. To see not if you are playing the best ball for you (aka ball fitting), but best ball for the clubs you are using.

The ball you play should have nothing to do with what equipment you use. It should be based on your swing speed. It does not matter what brand of equipment you use. ,

Idk. All I can say is that once I settle on a favorite ball, I never change from that ball, unless manufacturer discontinues it.

I've never had a different set of clubs make a ball react differently. Differently enough that I noticed a difference anyways.

I think it could but would imagine you would need to know a lot about your current game and how your current ball already reacts (traj, speed, length, etc.) before deciding If you want a new ball, which comes with reps and time.

I do think that with stronger lofted irons, you almost need to go to a higher spin ball. I know that when I got my Tommy Armour Atomics, they seemed to work better with a higher spin ball because the lofts are so strong that there would be much less spin and I would often hit shots farther than I ever had and the ball simply would not stop on the green.
I recently picked up a set of Cobra Amp Cells and found that with the weaker lofts, I could play cheaper, lower spin balls and with the weaker lofts, I could still get the ball to stop and wouldnt hit the occasional flier that I would with the Atomics.

I'm not sure the difference would even be noticeable other than on a launch monitor. Have you tried it yet, and did you notice anything different about the performance of your existing ball? I'm kinda leaning on the side of you may be overthinking this.

There’s a huge difference in those two balls. One (TourB RX) I’d classify as a premium distance/straight ball. Offers enough check up for high spin players to easily hold greens.

The other (Srixon) is designed for close to maximum green holding power with irons.

If you’re spinning the new irons more you’ll find it harder to hit the ball straight and you also may be seeing ballooning you didn’t see in the past.

But yes, you very well could need to rethink what ball is best for you. It may be different now.

My world changed once I hit the AVX first and then the TourB RX. As a very high spin player, into any wind in the past was bad. With the TourB RX I usually only need 1, maybe 2 more clubs into the wind. With my old ball, it might have been 3-4.

Example- So you buy new irons and they have a higher launch so now you need a lower launch ball?

Back