Does anyone else enjoy watching the Pro's having a bad day?

PatsFan

Jedi Knight
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
myself
I will admit I do. When I see them Jack one into the water or OB it makes me feel good.
Maybe its because I do it all the time so to see that they aren't always perfect is nice.

"scha·den·freu·de"

I will admit I do. When I see them Jack one into the water or OB it makes me feel good.
Maybe its because I do it all the time so to see that they aren't always perfect is nice.

"scha·den·freu·de"

It is nice to know they’re human and screw it up like the rest of us.

I like seeing the really good recovery shots. I think it was Thomas this week that had a shot from a hazard, had to climb down a wall and flop the ball up on the green. That was a spectacular golf shot and fun to see.

I do like courses that make them really work for it, where 2-3 under for the week is a winning score.

I don't like to root against anyone but it makes me feel better about my game.

Dan

Depends on the pro

I only like seeing Poulter play bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have to admit, watching them hit great hit after great hit can be a little boring. I also like seeing how they get themselves out of trouble. Some of those tournaments where they end up 10-15 under really bruise my ego.

No, I don't like seeing anyone play bad regardless of skill level.

Not me. I watch the pros to see how good the game can be played. I've got the other end of the spectrum taken care of on my own.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I think one of the things that always amazes me is how well they recover from a bad shot, and the places they get up and down from. But I really don’t like to see them struggle all day, I’d rather watch them play well.

Won't root for a bad shot, it happens and fun to see there reactions. Watching the recoveries is the best part though, because you get to see them pull off some crazy shots.

I hate watching bad golf. I know how made it feels to hit a poor shot. I wouldn’t wish that at on anyone

I like to see how they can get out of a tough situation or bad lie. If a favorite golfer of mine is playing for the win on Sunday then I would root against who he or she is playing against.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same as most so far. Don't necessarily root for the bad shot, but love watching them make a 5 star meal from leftovers in the fridge

I think watching pros struggle makes them more human. When Jordan said yesterday that he sort of took for granted how easy the game came to him and now he has to work at it, it makes you feel better about your own struggles with the game.

Yes, absolutely. I think it's really educational. We get a skewed perspective of the game only watching the leaders play well. Seeing them struggle is more relatable to our game. How do they handle it mentally? Do they make adjustments mid round to their swing or strategy? Can they save their round? How?

One of the most impressive things I have ever seen is Tiger's mental toughness. It's amazing. I know if I start off with 3 or 4 bad holes I can check out mentally afterward because "it's one of those days". Tiger has the ability to have an almost match play like mental approach and grind an entire round. It's fascinating to me.

I don't enjoy watching bad golf and honestly don't see much in the way of pros playing badly since, other than the Masters, I only watch weekend golf. All the players that really played badly that week aren't televised on the weekend because they missed the cut.

Watching Greg Norman in 1996 collapse at Augusta was one of the most painful rounds I've ever watched. On the other hand, the 1999 Open Championship was quite entertaining to watch with Van de Velde making a mess of the final hole.

I find myself usually rooting for ties. I love to see the sudden death playoff holes. The more tour players the better, so I generally root for either someone to make or miss the last few holes.

I don't enjoy watching bad golf and honestly don't see much in the way of pros playing badly since, other than the Masters, I only watch weekend golf. All the players that really played badly that week aren't televised on the weekend because they missed the cut.

Watching Greg Norman in 1996 collapse at Augusta was one of the most painful rounds I've ever watched. On the other hand, the 1999 Open Championship was quite entertaining to watch with Van de Velde making a mess of the final hole.

I agree with you on Van de Velde - I’m not one to root for failure, but watching Van de Velde trying to outsmart the 18th at Carnoustie was rather fun to watch. I saw an interview with him a while back, and he didn’t let that collapse define him, which I was glad to see.

I think one of the things that always amazes me is how well they recover from a bad shot, and the places they get up and down from. But I really don’t like to see them struggle all day, I’d rather watch them play well.

Exactly what I was going to say. I can learn a lot from watching them recover, and generally am amazed by the mad skillz they show off.

Just so we're clear I'm not usually rooting for then to be out right bad just kinda enjoy the bad shots.

But I'm always amazed at how they usually recover.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Bubba just pitched one into the steps of the stands AFTER taking relief. It was glorious!

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

I don't necessarily enjoy it, but seeing them hit bad shots or have a round go completely sideways on them just shows how merciless golf can be. While it doesn't happen as much, I always laugh a little when it happens to the pros. This game spares NO ONE.

Enjoy no! It does help me to put my own game in its proper place.

I don't enjoy seeing anyone have a bad day but I do want them to be challenged.
Especially in the majors, I like to see scores around par.
I cannot stand it when it is easy to be under par.
Anytime the course (4 rounds) is better than 10 under then something wrong with the courser or conditions.
YMMV

Back