Does anyone grind their own wedges?

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
I've rekindled an interest in the zipcore tour rack wedges and looking over pictures of the different sole grinds.

My overconfident brain starts saying, "that doesn't look too hard, your could probably do that in your garage"

Anyone given it a shot?

I did just for a fun project one weekend. I ground a Scratch wedge 60* to sit lower to the ground.

I’ve looked into it, something I definitely want to give a try and would give me a reason for a new tool.

I have been thinking about it some because I have a CBX Full Face that I would like some heel relief for. What kind of grinder is needed is it a bench grinder of some sort?

I'll be following this one. I've been thinking about trying to grind out the bottom of my PM grind to more of a square leading edge. Maybe someone in here can talk me out of it.

My instructor will take a Titleist M or D grind, Mizuno M or C grind (my typical grinds) and grind off more trailing edge after looking at contact, and then spin on Trackman. I prefer to do this on raw wedges

Nope, don't have a grinder and would have no idea where to begin.

I've never done it, but I totally think a person could pull it off. Just about any grinder could work with the right touch, but seems like a nice 2" belt grinder would be ideal. 1" belt could work in a pinch. Heck, an 4" angle grinder could work in a pinch.

Nope. I figure the people designing the wedges know a lot more about it than I do.

So when I still had Sunset Beach Golf up and running I toyed with the idea of some wedges. I worked with an overseas factory and had a few wedges made and I had them make a few sole of their standard sole grinds and send them over. I also had them send 3 of each head raw so I could grind and send them back to make a template.

In the end I have a few raw partially ground wedges here at the house and a few of the finished ones. In the end the face milling they did was WAY TOO AGGRESSIVE and they shredded balls and the wedges never turned out exactly like I wanted.

It was fun and I learned a lot, but realized that I was not a wedge maker. The raw heads they sent me were around 370 grams. So yeah I had a lot of wiggle room to pull off weight wherever I wanted.

I've never done it, but I would if I had a bench grinder. I love that Cleveland wedges can be found brand new for around $100 or less with Tour Issue S400's (RTX-4), but can't stand their bounce/grind designs. After seeing this video of Chris Trott of Taylormade showing the process, I've wanted to do it myself:

I did a whole setoff irons from 4 through 60*. Got Kyoei blanks from Tourspec golf. Currently I put the 5-7 in the bag shafted w/ Recoil smacwrap shafts

Back