Does anyone prefer their original grip to an oversize grip?

tjam

Reaction score
Handicap
Has anyone changed from an original grip to an oversized grip and hated it or preferred their original grip? Is it rare to prefer the original after trying an oversized grip? How hard is it to change the grip (should i get a club pro to do it for me and do i lose my original grip if i change?) How do you find an oversize grip generally affects putting, what does it change in the putt?

I have a taylormade ghost spider. I am a beginner and I've found that my putting has improved considerably since getting it about 5 weeks ago, I'm sure some of it is down to me practicing and improving, but I'm also sure that the club is playing a part, particularly with alignment, compared to the very old borrowed blade putters I was using before I bought this. I'm often getting within a couple of inches with my line on longer 1st putts, even if I roll it 4ft past the hole, the line is much better.

I have been reading about oversize grips and see a lot of the pros on tv using them too. I understand it helps calm your wrists down on the putts and I'm pretty sure I'd probably benefit from this as a beginner with a lot to learn. Is it easy to change back to an original grip if I don't like it?

I have tried both. I could take or leave the midsize grip I have. I actually prob will be going back to regular once my testing for the see more thread is done. I think it's more personal preference unless you have loose wrists and need to calm them down. But it's easy to switch back if you need to prob a practice session or two and you'll get that feel back pretty quick.

Not me. I like a Jumbo grip for my putter.

I have always played with original grips. Only re gripped a putter once and went for the stock model again. I also went for the stock grip on my Odyssey Metal X 2ball for this years Morgan Cup. I know a lot of guys went for different grips on their MC putters

No sir I always get a bigger grip! I have big hands

No sir I always get a bigger grip! I have big hands

I'm with Satch. I don't really notice it on the putter as those grips tend to be a bit larger anyways.

I'm with Satch. I don't really notice it on the putter as those grips tend to be a bit larger anyways.

It's crazy the stock grips feel like toys to me I can't do it, that's why my spider ghost is just sitting in the corner haha, I haven't gotten around to a bigger grip

I feel odd with a normal size grip now. Most comfortable with midsize, but jumbo is fine too. I did try a SS Ultraslim and didn't care for it.

I feel odd with a normal size grip now. Most comfortable with midsize, but jumbo is fine too. I did try a SS Ultraslim and didn't care for it.

After I got my tigershark oversize grip, the medium on my spider ghost felt too small.

Weird how that works.

Weird how that works.

it's pretty dumb but I really hate playing the smaller grip, it just feels so weird.

I agree. I don't know if I believe that it does anything for my wrists, but it allows me to take a pretty loose grip and just feels right.

If you don't mind me asking, was there something in particular about the Ultra Slim you didn't like? I just ordered one to put on my Classic, but I've never tried one. Just tacked it on to an online order to try out. I've tried the Fatso, but those are way too big for me. But the stock Cleveland grip is pretty bad, so I'm giving this a shot. I'm intrigued by the reverse taper...

To me, it felt like a regular size grip, which is exactly what I don't like. It was skinny at the top and I didn't really get much out of the reverse taper. I think I would have liked the Slim better.

I switched to mid size a few years ago when KJ made them popular. Now I can't grip a regular size grip. It just feels funny to me. I don't think it does anything for my wrists, it's just a personal preference.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I switched over to a Winn Jumbo a few months ago, and it has made a big difference for me...I can't say I would never switch back, but I don't see it happening in the near future.

The only thing that was a deal breaker with the Jumbo was that it didn't fit into my putter well. It messed with my head. Midsize fits well.

The only thing that I need to do is add weight to my putter since I switched to the bigger grip the putter head feels wippy lol

That's pretty common I hear. The club builder I buy from recommended the Winn Lite to keep that from happening.

That's pretty common I hear. The club builder I buy from recommended the Winn Lite to keep that from happening.

I may have to look into that

Some people don't like the shape, but I'm a fan. The Jumbo is huge, but not heavy.

I put the Winn jumbo lite on my classic 5.5 and love it. It's a big grip but really lite weight.

The only thing that was a deal breaker with the Jumbo was that it didn't fit into my putter well. It messed with my head. Midsize fits well.

I had the same problem. But over time the ring around the top of my putter well came off, and now it fits fine! I had been putting it in one of the 14 slots before that happened. It actually came off within a few months of me getting the bag, but since I was now able to use it, I didn't worry about getting it fixed.

I didn't mind with the staffer, but the putter well on my OGIO seems really narrow.

I didn't mind with the staffer, but the putter well on my OGIO seems really narrow.

Same here. It went in the same slot as my wedges. But I've retired the staff bag and am back to my regular bag. I don't really have a putter well on it, it's more of a tube on the outside of the bag! But when the ring around the top of that came off, my jumbo grip fit just fine!

Funny thing is that since I switched from the staff bag, I don't really like the individual slots anymore! I want a new bag with a six-way divider!

Back