Does anyone remember Sonartec?!

DaveGolfer15

Reaction score
Handicap
8 (WHS)
Does anyone remember Sonartec golf clubs? Perhaps still game one of their clubs? I recall them being absolutely awesome quality, super premium and desirable clubs but now seem to have all but disappeared? I recall them being very expensive (more than the big manufacturers) and even used by tour players. Todd Hamilton used to game a Sonartec hybrid that he chipped with in a play off of the 2004 Open Championship to beat Ernie Els. Whatever became of them?

I have 2 in my bag and another here in the home office....they are bombs....19 deg 5wood and a 14 deg 3 are in the bag. The one sitting in the office is a 13 deg 3. THe Two in the bag, i put HZRDUS Black Smoke shafts in and they fly

I will also say they are small heads so hitting the center of the club is a must

I have 2 in my bag and another here in the home office....they are bombs....19 deg 5wood and a 14 deg 3 are in the bag. The one sitting in the office is a 13 deg 3. THe Two in the bag, i put HZRDUS Black Smoke shafts in and they fly

I will also say they are small heads so hitting the center of the club is a must
HZRDUS Black Smoke shafts in a Sonartec fairway wood 😲. My God, what an idea. Excuse me, I'm heading over to Ebay... :ROFLMAO:

I remember the name and looked them up. They still have a website but it looks like they are only in Asia now.

They were some good heads. I had a Sonartec fairway wood.

I owned a 14 degree fairway metal during the early 2000s. Actually met the owner of Sonartec when I bought it - he was touring Australia in 2000 promoting his clubs. He told me that his metal woods were popular on the USPGA tour. I think Nick Price was a Sonartec Staffer. Jim Furyk had a Sonartec metal wood in his bag when he won the 2003 US Open at Olympia Fields.
The issue I had with my Sonartec was I hit it the same distance as my driver. It was a real bomb that I never fully appreciated at the time. I referred to it as a blade wood that was very unforgiving.
I think it was more suited to elite golfers than to ordinary golfers.

I had a Sonartec fairway for a while also. They weren't the most forgiving fairway woods but they were super solid.

The SS03 to me is the best 3 wood ever made. Had one with the stock Penley shaft and another with a GDI YS6.
Just bombs....
Ebay here I come!

I still have a SonarTec 3-wood - it was always a great club but my TaylorMade M6 is the bomb!

I have a set of the wedges...

EA13512A-CF69-4CA1-A208-99561D530F1F.jpeg

Geez, unforgiving? It appears not many of you young whippersnappers have ever had the pleasure of hitting anything smaller than a shovel. Yes, almost all club heads back in the day were smaller. Yes, you really did have to focus to hit them. That being said, you won’t see my old azz going back to them. Ever.

Geez, unforgiving? It appears not many of you young whippersnappers have ever had the pleasure of hitting anything smaller than a shovel. Yes, almost all club heads back in the day were smaller. Yes, you really did have to focus to hit them. That being said, you won’t see my old azz going back to them. Ever.
I’m a young whippersnapper and I have a second set of vintage golf clubs and love them 😍. I’m a few shots worse with them over my modern set but love the challenge 😊.

I owned their hybrids - great clubs that were better than I was at the time.

Sonartec-like heads can be found in several of the Japanese domestic market (JDM) brands.

I’m a young whippersnapper and I have a second set of vintage golf clubs and love them 😍. I’m a few shots worse with them over my modern set but love the challenge 😊.

Compared to modern clubs, most ancient golf clubs are quite the challenge. I commend you for keeping those old relics alive, and wish you the best of luck going forward!

they are small but i love mine, I have a 13 deg just sitting if someone wants one.....but those wedges, those still have plastic on them?

I have a set without the plastic...

Bought a second set for backup and then never used them.

Back