Does Golf Run In Your Family?

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Does golf run in your family? Did your parents play the game? How did you pick up the game?

My parents have never played the game. I was lucky enough that my grandparents got me hooked on the game, and they were in their 50's/60's at the time.
My brother might play once every couple years. I have one uncle on each side of the family that play pretty regularly, but have never teed up with them. Other than that, no one in my family/extended family golfs.

I sometimes think that my parents/family maybe don't understand why I want to be on the course/range as often as I do. But I feel the same way about their hobbies, spending days/weeks on end every year out fishing or hunting.

Growing up, I didn't know of anyone who golfed in my huge extended family. Closest I ever came to golf was the course we used to cut across all the time to get at some trout filled beaver ponds. There is now a Top 100 course built right there; Greywalls.

I picked up the game on my own when I got assigned my first active duty station. I was the only young GI assigned to that laser lab, saving up to buy some wheels to have real fun :desire:. The lab looked right out over the golf course and range, it looked like fun so I quickly joined the party.

My dad taught me how to play golf. All of my uncles and cousins golf on my dad's side of the family, no one on my mom's side golfs. I have got my girlfriend into golf and bring my 8 year old daughter golfing a few times a year. It's something I hope she continues playing as she gets older and get more into it but if she has other interests that's fine too.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My father taught me everything I know about the game. I started playing when I was 4. One of my brothers picked up the game later in life but never to the extent that I did. No one else in my family or really immediate family do. One uncle & a few cousins might but I don't ever see them so I don't really call them much of a family.

My grandfather, father and uncle all played the game. My dad introduced me to it. Looks like it may skip at least a generation though going forward as none of my kids, or sisters kids, ever showed any interest in the game. They are all in their late teens and 20's so there is still hope though.

I doesn't really run in my family. My grandfather played some, years ago. My Dad did, very briefly before I was around. I only got into it because I couldn't play tennis after my knee surgery.

No. I picked it up while in the Marine Corps and am the only one who plays it in my family.

It runs in my family where my grandfather played and did a league for years with my dad, who taught my brother and I to play too.

I was lucky to marry into a family who's dad and brothers also golf, in addition to my sister in law's husband too. Hoping I can pass the sport along as my kids get older, and based on the last few months I have a strong feeling they will give it a shot.

My dad golfed and introduced me to the game, but I didn't become invested until I started playing golf with my wife's family. Golf kind of runs in the family.

It didn't, but it does now. My father, uncle, and cousins did not play. I began playing as an adult in my late 20s. My son started two summers ago at age 14 (and started consistently beating me last year).

Golf is not strong in my family. My grandfather had it, and I have it, but my father didn't have it, and my sister(s) definitely don't have it.

i guess yes in the sense that i play golf because my grandfather played golf. his brother plays as well. but beyond that, no one else in my family plays. hard to say "runs in" if it's just a few of us :)

good question though!

Nobody in my family ever played golf, I picked it up later in life from some friends in a strictly social platform. I never really was invested in the game until I found THP about 5 years ago...now I can’t imagine my world without it.

Nope, not on my side, I picked it up from in-laws. Not sure any of my kids want to play. My daughter just expressed interest going with me to the course on the next found.

before my generation, not at all. My older brother was the first one to pick it up, introduced me to it then we got our nephew to play. His sister and now also their father is also playing so we have spread it around the family and hope it continues that way.

Not at all. My dad played but he never included us as he was more into fishing. So the boats were the thing for us growing up.

I have cousins who play but most only started as adults.

And it looks like it will end with me. My daughter never showed an interest and my son was a flash in the pan.

Very good athlete, always excelled at every sport he'd try. But as a young kid, he was way too frustrated with the game's difficulty and he lost interest.

He loved being out on the course with me, driving the cart and tending the pin, but he just never wanted to return to the game. That'll forever bum me out, always envisioned having golf to share with him as I grew older.

He turned 24 just last week. I've had a set of clubs waiting for him here for years and years now. Older stuff but all quality and I'll still rotate the oldest out for better gear here and there. All in the hope that he'd someday give it another shot. :(

To all of you out there whose kids maintained an interest, indulge in every moment.

No my parents never played. I did find a few old clubs in the barn that must have been my uncles. I cleaned them up and started playing around the yard/farm on a course of my imagination. My freshmen year or so a friend of the family took me out to a course with a set of $100 K-Mart specials.

I'm the first golfer in my family. I have a brother that took it up years after I did, but my other 2 brothers are not golf fans. Neither parents or grandparents ever touched a club.

No. I picked it up when kids in the neighborhood decided to play. No family members before me played and neither do my two sons.

No, it definitely does not. Golf is a game & my Daddy didn’t have time for games. I picked it up a few years ago for work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, in fact really no athleticism runs in my family haha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

My father taught me the game, and his father taught him the game. My grandfather was a scratch golfer, my father was a high single-digit capper, and I'm currently a mid-teen capper so the games are not trending in the right direction haha. Most of the men in my family play the game, with the exception of my mother's father.

braddman19;n8889371 said:
Does golf run in your family? Did your parents play the game? How did you pick up the game?

My parents have never played the game. I was lucky enough that my grandparents got me hooked on the game, and they were in their 50's/60's at the time.
My brother might play once every couple years. I have one uncle on each side of the family that play pretty regularly, but have never teed up with them. Other than that, no one in my family/extended family golfs.

I sometimes think that my parents/family maybe don't understand why I want to be on the course/range as often as I do. But I feel the same way about their hobbies, spending days/weeks on end every year out fishing or hunting.

Mom is a casual golfer.
Dad is an obsessive golfer.

My grandfather (aka Papa) is/was the best golfer in our family. I'd like to say I've challenged him, but he's got a lot of trophies and hole in one's and I don't haha!

No one in my family played. For some reason I had an interest. My Dad bought me a couple clubs at a discount department store and I began swinging away in our field. At the time our Jr High had a golf program ran by a history teacher in the school who was a scratch golfer, great teacher and a real great guy. Fast forward a bunch of years and my oldest son plays on the HS team for the same guy who taught me. Now all three of my children/adults play as does my wife on occasion.

My father and most of my brothers play. Some of my nieces and nephews play now. I used to "caddie" for my father (pulled his cart, raked the bunkers and cleaned his clubs) for a few dollars until the club changed the rules and wouldn't allow women or girls on the course on Sat or Sun mornings - that time was reserved for men only.

Back