Does Nike need Rory to struggle or start slow?

tgtt

Reaction score
Handicap
How much more will Nike benefit if Rory struggles or starts slow?

IMO, they gain little, aside from having #1 using their clubs, if he comes out rolling. The equipment change will be talked about little if this happens. However, if he struggles it will be a hot topic until he starts rolling, which we all know he will again if he does start slow.

JB has mentioned this a couple of times that Nike is in a no win situation. But, that withstanding, which will be more beneficial, Rory coming out blazing or struggling?

Internet golfers will tear Nike apart if he struggles. Same thing they've done elsewhere. People are stupid.

I feel like Nike gets a pass if he starts slow because people expect a transition period. I won't automatically think its junk because I've seen Tiger win with it for years. All Nike needs is for Rory to be Rory for the next 20 years and they'll roll in the dough. Throughout those years he'll have some ups and downs but I'm confident his typical year will be amazing.

I have mentioned it before, tgtt is right.
Rory plays well out of the gate, its because he is so good he could win with anything.
Rory struggles, its because he made an equipment change.

I don't think it matters a whole lot, their target audience is not the online golfer in my opinion.

I wonder how big a benefit Acushnet seen when he became no 1? If he comes out on fire after the switch I wonder how many sets of Titleist clubs etc you'll see for sale and how much Nike's takings go up as amatuers want to play the same as the worlds 1 & 2! If he comes out slow then I reckon he doubters will be out in force giving out that he should never have switched etc. Doubt it'll be to long before even they say that it was a good career move when he starts to win again

I see 0 benefit for Nike if Rory struggles.

Nevermind

I see 0 benefit for Nike if Rory struggles.

No such thing as bad press. He doesn't get hot until Masters or US open it'll be talked about for a long time.

No such thing as bad press. He doesn't get hot until Masters or US open it'll be talked about for a long time.

Except when you have a bad reputation. The bad press can hurt a bad reputation.

If people blame Nike for Rory's (potential) struggle, it'll be as ridiculous as when people wondered if the ProV1 was responsible for Tiger's slump because he played an inferior ball.

If people blame Nike for Rory's (potential) struggle, it'll be as ridiculous as when people wondered if the ProV1 was responsible for Tiger's slump because he played an inferior ball.

Sadly if he starts out slow, people will jump on board the "its Nikes fault" argument. Its silly, but it will happen. I agree with pete here.

Except when you have a bad reputation. The bad press can hurt a bad reputation.

Bad reputation? Tiger has been using them for years. Do they have a bad rep?

Bad reputation? Tiger has been using them for years. Do they have a bad rep?

Their equipment gets a bad rep. The brand has fought it very hard. But it has never gotten the respect it deserved.

Nike is in a tough spot here but they lose less if Rory plays well. If he struggles it will be tough for them. I don't see him struggling though.

Their equipment gets a bad rep. The brand has fought it very hard. But it has never gotten the respect it deserved.

I think, as far player's clubs go, Nike has a very good rep. I can't say for GI equipment and the like.

I think, as far player's clubs go, Nike has a very good rep. I can't say for GI equipment and the like.

I never said they made bad clubs. I love Nike's gear for all levels. But they still fight a stigma that isn't their fault.

I don't think it will make any noticable difference. The fact that they signed rory is enough of deal. Rory being with nike and playing nike will be talked about because he's the number player in the world and a budding superstar. That's enough. Whether he plays well or not will have minimal comparative affect.

I don't think it will make any noticable difference. The fact that they signed rory is enough of deal. Rory being with nike and playing nike will be talked about because he's the number player in the world and a budding superstar. That's enough. Whether he plays well or not will have minimal comparative affect.

So you don't think that if Rory goes winless this year that Nike will take a beating? I would think that the internet would explode with a mushroom swoosh cloud

I never said they made bad clubs. I love Nike's gear for all levels. But they still fight a stigma that isn't their fault.

I know you didn't say that blu :act-up:. I'm just reflecting on their reputation amongst golfers of different skills.

So you don't think that if Rory goes winless this year that Nike will take a beating? I would think that the internet would explode with a mushroom swoosh cloud

Swooshroom Cloud? Someone should trademark that for the Nike Nuke driver :)

Anyone who is under the impression that the clubs are winning for him is an idiot. If he starts slow, he is knocking the rust off. If he starts hot, he is just picking up where he left off. The stamping on his equipment doesn't mean a thing. Yes, he will need to adjust...but the clubs aren't making or breaking the kid.

That said, most people are too dense to admit and/or realize, so it is best for Nike if he starts hot. A slow start would leave Nike holding a lot of blame for it, though undeserving.

I think he's good enough it will make little difference for his game. I think it will end up being a boost for Nike just cuz it's Rory, just a matter of how much and how much his game affects overall perception. On the reverse, if he comes out winning how much of a jump will Nike really see? This will definitely be interesting to see how it all plays out.

Sadly if he starts out slow, people will jump on board the "its Nikes fault" argument. Its silly, but it will happen. I agree with pete here.

Completely agree. I have never bought into brand loyalty or distaste that much. I have all Titleist gear simply because it appeals to me. I've also got a complete set of very nice (yet barely played) nike VRs/VRpro clubs, they are excellent clubs and deserve non of the random online hate I see dished out to Nike. I'd play them more but the Titleist gear simply appeals to my eye more.

If Rory struggles though (which I doubt, I'm sure he's had the time to become intimately familiar with the gear he's gotten and it was fitted to his swing to perfection) then people will without a doubt blast it as Nike's fault.

I have mentioned it before, tgtt is right.
Rory plays well out of the gate, its because he is so good he could win with anything.
Rory struggles, its because he made an equipment change.

I don't think it matters a whole lot, their target audience is not the online golfer in my opinion.

Agreed. Good post. They'll get their product seen either way which will work for the general public.

Back