Does Playing Shots Fast Help You?

I get my yardage, check the wind and hazards, pick my target and hit the ball.

I prefer to just go when I'm ready. I'm fine with giving honors if others are hung up on it, but I feel like I do better if I can just hit when I'm ready and not have to think about the shot too long.

I am all for Ready golf but I won't step on Birdy or better.
I tend to pick a spot and then just go. Too long and I might start to think.
I see people who stand over the ball for 45+ seconds and I want to shout LETS GO!! But refrain from doing so!

I don’t even think about it, just go with the flow.

While I do respect honors for birdies and eagles, I tend to just get up to a box, especially at my home club where I know where I want to aim it, and hit quickly. No waiting around, not debating things, one small practice swing, up and hit.

I see a lot of golfers operate differently, thinking through a lot, taking their time, and I decided that'd probably be pretty tough for me to do haha - I'd rather think before I get to a shot more than when I get to it. In fact, my timing is about 90% get a number a grab a club, and 10% in my stance to hit.

What's your standard? How do you like to play?
I could be wrong here but I dont think your talking about slow play (which some seem to be responding to) so much as you are simply talking about whether or not one requires or prefers to take some more time vs little time at all in order to comfortably hit successfully.

If this is also a slow play thing then I can say confidently Im usually (probably 80% of the time or better) the first one ready on the tee boxes. And even as a walker vs cart couples too yet still Im there first (unless the holes are far apart). And heck even then I may walk up from behind and still somtimes on the tee with club ready before the others. Sometimes its just incredible.

But as for being comfy for my swing? I do not just step up and hit like a bat out of hell. Nor do I stand there and go back and forth and this that and the other thing (ya want to kill someone).
I place my ball , I take a half then a full swing (to get swing path and tempo) and if it feels lousy Ill do another. And then Im stepping in (the same way with every club) and hitting. The whole process is pretty quick. Sometimes Im already hit by the time the carties get up to the tee and sometimes will ask.."you hit already?". Yes Im done.
Yet i cant place a ball and swing with no prep at all but I cant dilly dally or take drawn out time either. But there is some prep involved but its just not all too deliberate. Some people look like your watching tv how they act like they are playing in the open. Some people are very deliberate where its painful to watch and others hit before you even knew they were swinging.

I am all for Ready golf but I won't step on Birdy or better.
While i will reluctantly respect ones wishes when it comes to that, I feel its a load of unnecessary Bull Crap.
People need to get over themselves imo. Nice hole...well done back there but now no one really give a $#!T anymore.
The whole honors thing was really only about how to determine who goes first. Other than that and in casual golf and rounds where no one is playing against anyone and you get a bird? Nice hole....now get over yourself as we head to the next tee.
I could care less if I eagle or even HIO. Your on tee and ready before me? fire away. That whole ideology is ridiculous BullCrap imo.

"There's only two things that can happen, you hit a good shot or a bad shot, so why waste time doing it?"

-Dustin Johnson

I’m 100% a rhythm golfer. I play quick in general, so waiting too long definitely throws off my routine. Once I can finally go, I’m pretty fast. Pick the shot I want to hit and the club to do it, then send it!

I do all my thinking while I'm waiting for my turn to play. That lets me not have to rush when I aim, step up to the ball, and begin my swing.

I'm not a speed golfer, but I ain't slow.
I don't like the " We have to finish in 3:30" crowd, but I can finish in 3:30 if I don't have to wait on the group in front of me/us.
I take my time on the greens, but am ready to putt when my turn, or I'll tell someone else to go If needs be.

Ready golf yes, but not necessarily rushing. Both rushing and slow play throw me out of a rhythm. If someone has a good previous hole we will give them the chance at honors but if they are twiddling away they lose their chance. Also it's one of the reasons I enjoy walking, it keeps me more engaged in the round and I'm usually thinking about the upcoming shot of what I want to do before I get there so usually my decision has already been made and can hit the shot quicker.

Ready golf yes, but not necessarily rushing. Both rushing and slow play throw me out of a rhythm. If someone has a good previous hole we will give them the chance at honors but if they are twiddling away they lose their chance. Also it's one of the reasons I enjoy walking, it keeps me more engaged in the round and I'm usually thinking about the upcoming shot of what I want to do before I get there so usually my decision has already been made and can hit the shot quicker.
I always prefer ready golf. I do tend to get a little impatient and want to get to the ball quicker and hit it. If I'm sharing a cart with someone and my ball's a ways off from his, I'll hop out, grab my club and head over to my ball while he gets ready to hit. But I have be careful not to rush it. That throws the swing off. Sometimes I get into too big of a hurry someone will say "Hey, you're gonna get hit by the ball if you don't stop".

While I do respect honors for birdies and eagles, I tend to just get up to a box, especially at my home club where I know where I want to aim it, and hit quickly. No waiting around, not debating things, one small practice swing, up and hit.

I see a lot of golfers operate differently, thinking through a lot, taking their time, and I decided that'd probably be pretty tough for me to do haha - I'd rather think before I get to a shot more than when I get to it. In fact, my timing is about 90% get a number a grab a club, and 10% in my stance to hit.

What's your standard? How do you like to play?
We let birdies go first...bad juju to go in front of a birdie

I get distance, pick club, small practice swing, maybe a waggle and hit it. Prefer to not over think it

I play ready golf. Also it is likely that I will drive you insane. I get a distance on my GPS. Check it with my rangefinder. Pull the club. Pick my target. Take two sometimes three practice swings, Address the ball, swing and hit the shot. We will finish the round on or ahead of "pace." When playing alone I can finish in under 3 hrs. If I find your ball while looking for mine I will point to it.

I stand behind the ball, pick my line, set up to the ball, get aligned and maybe waggle a few times, and then hit it. I am almost always on the tee box ready to hit first. If we're playing ready golf I will be first one off the tee and in the hole on almost every single hole in my group of friends. Got a couple of folks who try too darn hard at it.

We let birdies go first...bad juju to go in front of a birdie

I get distance, pick club, small practice swing, maybe a waggle and hit it. Prefer to not over think it
And drop low cap bombs, I know I know 😄

I think so? I think it helps me not overthink my swing mechanics when I just picture the line while walking up to the ball, get over it, waggle a couple times and fire.

In a very unscientific study I’m doing I notice that I play to better scores when I ride rather than walk. I’m starting to think it has a lot to do with what I mentioned above. When I walk I tend to think A LOT about what I need to do with the next shot and what type of swing I need to put on it or what went wrong with my last swing to put me in the position I’m walking too.

Again it’s all very assumption based at this point. But it’s happening.

Back