Does slow play ahead of you affect your game?

Slow play is unavoidable, it's like death and taxes. I complain about it when it's encountered, but it really doesn't bother my play unless it hole after hole.

It’s annoying but there is no way to avoid it. I like to just sit in the cart and chat with whomever I’m playing with to pass the time.

I struggle when that happens. I hate having to wait every shot and haven't really found a way to deal with it. I like playing quick and keeping in rhythm.

It still gets to me, but I deal with it much better than I used to. I guess what irks me the most about it, is seeing guys waiting on the tee, the group ahead is on the green and all 4 of them are waiting for the green to clear. Then hit drives that never pass 250 yards.

It can break up the confidence you get from some good shots. I've also found it can loosen me up if I just go with the flow .... as it breaks up the routine from the last bad shot and reset myself mentally.

It gives me plenty of time to think...so yes 😂

It still gets to me, but I deal with it much better than I used to. I guess what irks me the most about it, is seeing guys waiting on the tee, the group ahead is on the green and all 4 of them are waiting for the green to clear. Then hit drives that never pass 250 yards.
But what if one of them gets one of those rare drives that might make 275? o_O :ROFLMAO:

Definitely, I have only myself to blame I suppose, but waiting ruins my game.

I can play fast or slow but what a drag it is to switch gears. Sailing around the course and then getting bogged down from #15 on definitely messes me up.

Open hole ahead - it does bother me and I blame the group ahead. On a course packed to the gills where there’s just no room ahead - I usually go into those rounds with the mindset that it’s going to be a long day, so just go with the flow. My primary focus becomes flagging down the beverage cart.

Sometimes yes but since i started listening to music while playing it helps me not go to a bad place.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Not really. I bring a book just in case. Got through War and Peace once that way.

Typically, yes. Right now, no. I know people literally have nothing else to do and our club is only running 2 of their 4 courses with the normal amount of members, so things are going to be busy and slow for a while.

To me, timing and tempo are very important. Slow play in front of me does affect my game, however depending on some factors it may, or may not affect my attitude.
1. if the course is completely backed up, it doesn't bother me too much, however,
2. if I can see open holes in front of the slow group ahead of me, it does annoy me, and I wonder if they ever learned the etiquette of waving faster groups through.

If I expect it, I seem to be okay. That being said, if it's super slow, it affects my game. I'm older and if it's really slow and there are cooler temps, I have to keep swinging while waiting or I tend to stiffen up a little and that can affect my play.

It depends, If I am playing in a foursome then no. If I am playing with just my wife and we have a foursome in front of us then sometimes.

Not really. What does bother me is when I am in the group that is slow. Then I feel like I need to rush my game to make up for the dummies in my group that are the slow ones.
It never helps and it just makes my scores go up.

Hell yes. I find myself sitting around, not staying loose, getting stuck in my head etc. So when I have a nice drive and go for the par 5 in 2, I'll end up with a crap shot

It depends. The all of a sudden huge delay has much more effect than the general slow play that follows a pace (albeit slow). Or when you're waiting...and you see the group in front of you do stupid things that create even more delay....that throws me off.

Yes, it has a terrible affect on my game and on my enjoyment, its especially bad this time of year when the nice weather brings out normal golfers. Since last November we played most rounds in the < 3:00 range, with no groups in front, no groups behind, we had five months of golf paradise and my scores reflected it. I'd much prefer to play in a cold drizzle and an empty course than a beautiful day and the resulting crowd.

Last edited:
I don't understand the rhythm argument. I have played on courses that are brutally slow so I changed my preshot routine to help get me back to game ready when it is time to play. I have my tempo drills that take all of 5 seconds to do and have a mental metronome for the putting green. You will never play every round with uninterrupted play so I stopped complaining about it (It used to really affect my play) and found a way to get over it.

I can play fast or slow but what a drag it is to switch gears. Sailing around the course and then getting bogged down from #15 on definitely messes me up.
Maybe it's that as much as anything. Typically I move pretty quick, 18 @ or around 2 to 2.5 hours. So cruising and then get behind a group that throws up the, "well there's a group in front of us that aren't going to let you through" :unsure: well...I guess I'll never know since you are stopoing me from getting to them!

Depends on who I’m playing with. If they don’t mind and we can chill and wait, then I can handle it.

Slow play used to bother me alot.
These days it does annoy me little but not as much.
Golf is funny game. When things are not working well you tend to find something to blame it on. Slow play is one of them.
When I stop blaming others things I now play less stressful game.
I do understand that sometimes it gets really frustrating such as husband giving lessons to his better half in middle of the fairway or waiting for green to clear when he is 250yd + away from green when his driver only went 230. Those examples bothers me but not much else.
I just look somewhere else. Staring at them from 250yds won’t fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back