Does slow play screw up your game?

Yes! Played a round about a month ago. Front 9 was played in 1hr 15min and I shot a 42. Caught up to the back end of a scramble on the 10th tee and ended up waiting what felt like 10 minutes on every shot. Back nine took over 4hrs hours and I shot a 58. I’m pretty sure if I had an Apple Watch on it would’ve called 911 for me because my blood pressure was so high

Yeah absolutely.. one tip someone gave me though was to not tee up the ball or even go to the box before it is time to tee off.. reason being if you do your routine, then stop, do routine again, think too much etc then your shot is likely to be no bueno

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

wluker17;n8883061 said:
We all know slow play is a problem and everyone hates it, but does it throw you off your game?

I was playing at a nice course around Atlanta on Saturday afternoon and having one of my better driving rounds in a long time for the first 10 holes when we hit the wall of slow playing idiots on the 11th tee. I think there were two groups that were the problem but the group right in front of us seemed more interested in their gallon of Crown and playing from the tips when they had absolutely no business there than moving at a decent pace. Waiting 10+ minutes on each tee combined with it being quite hot out caused my game, especially my tee game, to fall off a cliff.

So does this kind of nonsense cause your game to go to crap or can you mentally power through it and keep your edge for the rest of the round?

It can if I am not prepared for it. If I know it is going to be a slow day before I tee off, I find it doesn't really bother me as I am mentally prepared for it. I focus on other things while waiting...my surroundings, socializing, practicing chipping around the tee box, etc.

If I don't have good people in my group, and probably music, slow play ruins my interest in the round.

That said, speed of round and overall slow play are two different conversations to me. Also, I actually find it worse to have slow players IN my group vs in front of me, as nuts as it sounds.

Slow play doesn't bother me too much. I try to switch off from the golf completely if I have to wait to play my next shot. I never stand on the tee box or over my ball until I know I'm clear to hit.

What does effect my game though are others in my group non-stop moaning about the slow play. That non-stop in my ear for a couple of hours really winds me messes my game right up.

Slow play doesn't bother me that much. If the course is backed up, there's not much you can do about it anyway. If there is a hole or two open ahead, then once you play through everything is OK.

What really bothers me though, is being part of a group that is holding things up.

Cigars can cure the slow-play blues.

I would rather be caught in slow play than be rushed. My game is absolute garbage when I am/feel rushed

Pears;n8904094 said:
I would rather be caught in slow play than be rushed. My game is absolute garbage when I am/feel rushed

I agree. I much orefer to be waiting vs being in a group that's being awaited upon. There is no worse feeling imo. Slow play waiting I will just talk (non golf stuff) or even chip a little , whatever to spend the time. The worst thing anyone can do is think about the slow play and let it get to you. That watched pot never seems to boil and all it does is aggravate you. So why pour the misery over your own head. It really does pay to find a way to occupy your time. I mean nowadays it gets to the point I don't even like to talk about it when playing. So many are always talking of it even when things are not even slow and honestly it just sets oneself up for aggravation. Best to just find a way to ignore it best you can.

Canadan;n8899881 said:
I actually find it worse to have slow players IN my group vs in front of me, as nuts as it sounds.

This is the opposite of nuts.

I don't at all like slow play during casual rounds but strangely enough, during competitive rounds it doesn't bother me.

I guess I just go a little numb to it and maybe assume that the field is putting up with the same thing too. So tolerating it well enough just might become part of the competition for me. I dunno. ;)

My game definitely suffers if partners are slow. I play really quick and if I’m off my rhythm all factors of my game go downhill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It definitely messes with my game. As nonsensical as it is I feel pressured to play faster under slow conditions. I play fast anyway...but I’m not hurried. Slow groups in front of me (or my own group being slow) makes me feel like I need to hurry up to put pressure on the group in front, or to motivate my own group to move faster.

That’s when I’ll do stuff like use the wrong club because I don’t want to walk back to the cart, try to eyeball distances (which I’m terrible at), or run to and from my ball. None of those things are conducive to good golf.

I enjoy playing fairly quickly, however, I tend to play better at a slower pace. Just played a four man scramble tournament this morning that was a five hour round. A little long for my liking but played well.

Not really. As long as I am playing with people with whom I enjoy conversing with, good conversation and jabbing usually passes the time. Getting aggravated is never good for your game, and with how difficult this game is, try and control as much of what you can control, and this is an easy one.

Yes, slow play definitely impacts my game in a negative way. Aside from not getting into a good rhythm, I tend to lose focus and that leads to poor decision making and execution.

My son and I played yesterday and got stuck behind 2 foursomes that were nut achingly slow. 18 holes took us 5 and 1/2 hours. Neither of us played great and I attribute part of my issues to the 5 minute wait on every shot at every hole.

Yes but I deal with it by jumping a hole or ending my round early. Yesterday we had a husband/wife twosome magically appear on the 10th tee in front of us when we made the turn in 1:40 as a foursome. By the 11th hole is was clear that they were going to take 2:30 or longer so we skipped the hole(after having a quick chat with them) and drove straight the twelfth tee and they had to wait for us for about 15 seconds to finish the hole. By the time we were done with the par 5 13th they were still on the green behind us. We played the back nine in 90 minutes and only had to wait on the last two holes after catching a threesome.

I am very much a rythm player, so yes, slow play does impact me negatively. I try to not get frustrated, and as long as the people are trying to keep it moving, I'm cool. But when a group is just playing slowly, it gets in my head despite my best efforts.

All my best rounds have been "find ball, hit ball" rounds.

Still, nope. I can't imagine allowing other people on the course to have that much control over me. Again, if we were in a competitive match and I knew slow play bothered you, hell yeah I am taking a few extra practice swings or changing clubs a few more times. Players need to be mentally stronger than letting that stuff derail their golf.

Generally no but after a decent front 9 yesterday the back 9 seemed to be backed up and I stood waiting for 10 minutes to tee off and I totally shanked my tee shot on a hole I should have had a birdie opportunity. I adjusted after that but I attributed it to the delay giving me too much time to think about it.

Back