Does slow play screw up your game?

Yes, but a course with 156 guys who play like Bryson will be far slower than a course with 156 guys show play like DJ.

Yes it does then I get in a bad mood and lose concentration. A bad combination for me.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

It used to. When they finally cleared, I'd want to get up to the tee and hit right away. A combination of impatience and trying to make up for their slow play. After what seemed like 500 times of doing this it finally dawned on me that we were just waiting for the group on every tee and fairway because (duh) they were the ones that were slow. So, me trying to make up for their slow play did nothing. Since then, I've been able to allow myself to take my time on the tee, including a few practice swings while waiting to take the tee or stance for the next shot.

Everyone has a different definition of slow play. For me it’s anything over 4:10. I don’t put myself in position to play slow golf. If it looks like a round will take longer than what I like I end the round and go home. Luckily it’s happened only a couple times this year.

It absolutely destroys my game. I believe all but one time that I have broken 80 have come in a time of 3:30 or less. And it's very unlikely I will break 90 if it goes much over 4 hours.

No, I can screw up fast or slow makes no difference. May as well enjoy the extra time out on the course while there is no choice.

This is what I don’t understand. The course this morning is busy but not packed - plenty of open tee times this morning. Yet, we still have 3 holes to play and it’s already a 4 hr and 15 min round. If we finish in 5 it will be a miracle.

As I look around, no one is playing any sort of ready golf. On a day like today, we should easily finish well within the 4:30 pace. Unfortunately too there are absolutely no marshals as usual. I’m a pass holder here and I keep contemplating not renewing due to the pace of play.

Hunger and staying loose are the factors that screw up my game. If the round takes five hours I'm good as long as I brought enough food and it's hot enough that I don't get stiff. If either of those becomes a problem because of slow play I'll just call it a day and save myself the lost pounds and injuries.

It usually doesn't bother me. I'm an equal opportunity golf swing screw up, whether I'm delayed due to slow play or have no one in front of me.

Slow play is really the only thing that kills a round for me. I'll deal with weather, bad shots, stupid risks, etc., but if I'm sitting around every shot or hole I have no desire to keep playing.

Ive really tried to work on different exercises to prevent a bad round because of slow play. Trying to hang out, talk, look at my phone, and not necessarily start my routine until its close to my turn. Play a game on the tee like putting the ball with my driver or 3w to the tee marker. Just anything that occupies the mind until its time to hit.

No one likes slow play and most dont get better with a snail pace but it happens on tour all the time and theyre shooting in the 60s...theres gotta be ways for amateurs to play better in spite of it.

Slow play is probably the biggest thing that throws me off my game. If I have a slow player in my group I especially am going to struggle if I have to watch it the whole round. I need to figure out how to handle it better.

I was playing solo yesterday. Temp was 103. Foursome in front of me was taking FOREVER. Two of the players hit about 10 yards with each shot (not complaining about that, because I’ve been there recently). I was hitting the ball well and it was on course for being my best round since I’ve started playing again after a 30 year layoff. I made the mistake of stepping into the tee box and was ready to hit. I stood there for at least 15 minutes. All of my good work on the previous holes went out the window because by the time I was able to hit, I hit two balls OOB. Prior to that I had been making good hits and staying in the middle of the fairways (a BIG improvement). In returning to the game, I’ve learned that if I’m slowing up play behind me (or even with my foursome), to just pick up and move on and spend more time on the range so I don’t cause a disruption for other players.

If I need to wait quite a bit to tee off for the next hole while I am playing, that is really annoying and kills my rhythm. Don't want to play anymore.

I would say slow play has the biggest impact on my scores outside of my swing. Waiting between every shot doesn't allow me to get into any type of rhythm and by the time we get to the back 9 my back/body begins to tighten up. My emotions also start to get the better of me and have a negative impact on my game, as I get pretty frustrated with the group ahead of me if they are slow and do not let my group play through if and the space is there to do so.

Yes, it gets me out of my rhythm and has a big affect on me. I need to be mentally tougher in that area

zbeekner4;n8891910 said:
Ive really tried to work on different exercises to prevent a bad round because of slow play. Trying to hang out, talk, look at my phone, and not necessarily start my routine until its close to my turn. Play a game on the tee like putting the ball with my driver or 3w to the tee marker. Just anything that occupies the mind until its time to hit.

No one likes slow play and most dont get better with a snail pace but it happens on tour all the time and theyre shooting in the 60s...theres gotta be ways for amateurs to play better in spite of it.

Same here. I’m committed to staying positive and just enjoying the present moment, even when waiting on a slow group. It’s a challenge but I’m getting better at it.

In fact it’s starting to be an advantage for me... staying calm and continuing to play my game while others get frustrated about slow play usually results in my wallet having a few more dollars in it when we’re done.

Slow golf in general kills my game.

I hate slow golf.

I don’t like slow play but it bothers me less than someone pushing us from behind when there is nowhere to go.

I’m talking the guy who is hitting into the green, or fairway, before I’ve had a chance to reach the cart after hitting my shot. There is a guy at my course is notorious for that. I don’t know what Ive done to the golf gods but I’ve ended up the group ahead of him 4 or 5 times in the last couple of months. The marshals won’t do anything to stop it. He and I had words the last time I called the pro shop for his crap and they sent the manager out to talk to him.

Yes ... today for instance. Was slow as molasses. What gets me is there are 4somes, then a single, another single, twosome, followed by another 4some. WHY aren't the others joining up??? Nope. We are going to clog up the entire course because we dont want to join up. Turns into a nightmare of a day.
Slow play aggravates the hell out of me. Messes with my head, my game ... everything

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

yep, absolutely

If it's me flying solo for 9/18 after work, yes. I want to scream at slow players. If I'm with other people, I can play fast or slow.

Yes. It absolutely kills my game. Especially when the heat index is over 100. I can stand some heat but not 5+ hours of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes yes yes all kinds of yes.
I got enough issues with my game but slow play is gas on the fire

It really depends with me. In my normal Sunday group game it doesn't really bother me, because we are all having a good time/conversation and throwing back some beers. It only really bothers me in tournament rounds where I'm not that close to my playing partners and dont have distractions so I really notice the pace of play.

Back