Does the ball you use really make a difference?

You either didn't understand my post that made you reply to me or are twisting what i'm saying. My post was absolute truth.
Perhaps you don’t realize you have made multiple posts in this thread.

But if you believe they don’t matter much, that’s great, I’m not here to argue with you. Just try our best to make sure THPers get good info about technology that is available to them.

I realize what i posted, you only responded after one particular post not after every post i made. Thought you weren't concerned with the other ones. And i'm not here to argue with anyone either, just post the truth that i know to be real after my life experiences on the golf course (4 decades worth).

I'd say that depends upon the ball, it depends upon the greens and it depends upon the player. I'm not high spin, and the greens I usually play are pretty hard and don't check worth a damn. I've gone to the practice green with ProV1s, Chrome Softs, Q Star Tours, Supersofts and the old Bridgestone e6s, spent an hour messing around with them, and couldn't tell one bit of difference in terms of how they checked up on pitches and chips.
It could be game dependent but for me around the green there is a big difference and I am a 15 handicap

A few years ago I played the Vice golf ball and struggled with consistent distances. A golf ball definitely matters. If you play with the same ball, you will learn how it reacts in all conditions. If you flip flop you can see a big variance.

Complicated answer but...
if you're not a professional or scratch level to low single digit amateur you can play any ball from the major brands in the $15 to $25 price range without worry; they are all good balls that will not hurt your game.
100% false. I can tell the difference in every single ball. Easily.

After over 40 years playing golf (from rank beginner to hoping to break 90 hack to high school Team MVP to consistent mid to high 70s shooter back to 13 hdcp chop) i can honestly never remember saying after playing any of the thousands of rounds of golf i've played "If i had just used a [insert ball name here] instead of a [insert ball name here] i would've shot 79 not a 82". #WordsNeverUtteredByGolfers
Do you think that golf ball fittings are a waste of time? I would absolutely think that playing the right ball for your game would have an impact on scoring. Of course you’d need to practice with that ball and understand how it plays in all areas.

For years I thought no. That's why I always played TopFlite Gamer. But over the last 5 years I'd have to say yes. The ball matters a lot. Around the green and off the tee especially.

It’s all part of the consistency pie. The more that you can control, the better chance at learning and improving.

I pick my ball from the green back based on feel (including sound) and generally tend to prefer a softer ball.

So at what level? As soon as you start swinging a club.

For people that want to get a golf ball fitting, no.
And do you think golf ball fittings can make a difference in one’s on-course performance?

I've never done a legit ball fitting so i don't believe i'm qualified to answer that question.

At what level of play does a ball make a difference and save strokes?

I think it makes a difference in all levels of play. I used to be in the camp of...."I'm not good enough to notice the difference between balls."
I have since learned that by either getting a ball fitting done or by trial and error (gets expensive) you'll see a difference in your game and you will save strokes.
Find the right ball for you and your game and you will see a difference.....in my opinion.

So far I'm not seeing much difference between a chrome soft, tour soft, or TP response. But we have pretty firm greens, and it's not hot out yet. Discussion is enough to convince me to try a ball fitting this year.

This is probably why you smoked Parrot and I isn't it! I definitely use any ball I can find on the course.
Well....I wouldn't say the ball was the only reason, but it did help;)

I used to just find golf balls and put them in play, or buy the cheapest golf balls I could find. But a couple years ago I found a Srixon z star xv and my game was forever changed. When I put in play a XV/TP5x/tourBX, I hit the ball a little straighter, hold more greens, and my irons hit their yardages more consistently. From thinking the ball doesn't matter at all to now believing it can save a couple of strokes per round I play.

Side note - having the spring winds here in MN, I'm amazed at how well the XV holds more true in the gusts. Technology is incredible.

When I am playing well, Yes
When I am playing poorly, NO.

I am not a fan of ProV1s and if I had to game that ball regularly it would not be good for my game.

I can switch between the ProV1 and TP5 as they perform similarly for me.

I feel the same way. I can also play one of the high end Bridgestone or Srixon balls and play well with it.

I can play with lower end balls but I need to adjust my thought process a bit and the way I play some shots around the greens. I don't lose a ton of balls so it isn't really worth it to me.

not really but yes....lol. if you buy a $10 box of 30 golf balls they are probably pretty crappy and will wear quick and hit like rocks. but most golf balls, for higher handicap players at least, are fine. i have several times picked a ball up i found and use it on the next hole and i didn't really notice a difference.

for some it is more of a confidence thing. you feel more confident playing Titleist pro v's or Callaway chrome soft balls....even though we could probably play the Titleist nxt's and be fine....and not really notice a difference. of course lower handicap guys can do more with a ball then i can, so for them they need certain spin balls or balls that spin less.

edit: this is how it works for me

Last edited:
A decent player can adjust to playing any ball. Balls generally perform differently from each other and feel different. As a 12-15 handicap, I played the Titleist DT balls for years. Then started to branch out a bit and played Tour Edition and then Precept Pro (loved that ball). I preferred the feel and green holding ability of the Precept. I’ve been playing ProV1 consistently the last few years, but could easily game anything similar. Three or four years ago, I tinkered with all of the “soft” balls, (65 compression or less) and found distance loss with the driver.

I could’ve easily adjusted my game to the ball but found it easier to find a ball for my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Complicated answer but...
if you're not a professional or scratch level to low single digit amateur you can play any ball from the major brands in the $15 to $25 price range without worry; they are all good balls that will not hurt your game.

I have to disagree with this statement and others saying that until you have consistent contact or are a lower handicapper the ball will not matter much in terms of scoring.

For anyone that doesn't look at all the posts about ball fittings or watch the videos, I would highly recommend you do as they helped me considerably to understanding how important playing the correct ball is to your game. I would suggest any person that really wants to see if there is a difference for themselves to grab 10 or more sleeves of different balls. Have them range from the lower price up to the most expensive and really go into a playing test with an open mind. I have done just such an experiment this year and was very surprised at how different some balls will spin, how different some balls will go distance-wise, and how much different playing different balls will affect my personal score.

I have noticed that absolutely I can get more than 10 yards carry with one ball over another off the tee, as well as, from my irons. That I can get one particular ball to spin greater and stop on the green while another will roll more. To each player, even the higher handicap that might need more rollout or that same high handicap player then needs more spin to help a ball stop on a green. You have higher handicaps that need a lower compression ball to help them hit more consistently. On the other side, lower handicap players might look for more ball speed and distance since they already have enough spin with solid contact. A certain ball will help golfers in so many different ways.

I am one of those types of individuals that believe in always trying to learn more and then applying what I have learned for myself and to help others. I would say unequivocally the golf ball can absolutely matter to one's score if playing the correct ball.

I consider the ball to be as critical of a fit as shafts, and in many cases clubs.

Skill level matters for consistency, sure.. but it matters for using the proper golf ball? Heck no. Tell me how in the world someone who plays a hard fade but only swings at 85mph with a driver couldn't benefit avoiding firmer high spin golf balls like the plague and gaming a softer, lower compression ball?

If you can do that, you'll sell me on golf balls not mattering.

Since I'm older I think a softer ball helps a little with distance. Plus I prefer a soft feel off the putter face and the soft ball helps there also.

Back