Does the distance you hit a golf ball correlate to a handicap??

Removing PGA level players from this response because their game is in another stratosphere. Comparing club/weekend players to PGA Players is pointless to me.

In order to have a really low handicap, meaning sub 5, you have to have a complete game. Controlled Distance is only one factor. And distance that lands the ball out of play or in a compromised position is not really distance. You don’t keep score on the range. I think the stats play out that distance does equate to lower scores because in general better players can hit it further. Because they are better players. Keep in mind that Distance is not just the driver. It’s all the clubs. Low handicappers can do it all. And do it consistently round after round. Over time they identified whatever the weakness was in their game and turned it into a strength. Usually with the help of good teacher and lots and lots of practice.

Why aren't the long drive champs tearing up the PGA? Has there ever been a long drive champ who actually even ever made it onto the PGA? If distance is first priority then they should be the best players.

most of the time they can't hit the ball onto a football field and many of the pga tour venues have narrrow fairways. I see the PGA player as hitting with far less energy then potential.

then again, 50% of the game is putting and we don't ever get to see the bombers putt

But....

What if it’s a 400 yard hole and you hit 7i/7i?

If I was smart I’d hold a course record. Two 7i’s on 18 and an easy par would have me in solo command. Blocking one OOB with driver still ended with a -6 66 for my best round ever. Made a triple. 9 birdies, 8 pars, and a triple to close it out. Had to then make 3(5 total) to tie the record, so hit driver again. Again blocked, this one coming down a foot in bounds but a branch 18” over my ball. I could only chunk it into position. Blowup of all blowups on a day I couldn’t miss. Never take anything for granted in golf.

I can hit a distance 7i 225 or so off the tee, I count on it for 180 carry off the ground, as I have a different swing (steeper more fade bias) from the ground than tee. The right lie and I can go 225 with it off the ground but I have to have the right lie.

I can’t wait for my new irons to show up. I went old guy graphite as I expect to have these carry me until I need R flex, so hopefully 20 years. By that point I hope I’m @YukonLiving ’s westward neighbor on my land in AK and playing once, twice a year (in my mind there’ll be nothing less than spectacular golf still being played, lol).
Well, that would be what I would call smart golf. To be fair though, if youre hitting your 7-iron 200 yards, you probably dont struggle to lower your handicap.

Back