Does The Northern U.S. Have Its Own Cuisine?

Northern Cuisine?:unsure:

I enjoy a variety. It's best to embrace all cultures and food and find what you like.:D

But when I visited NYC for 4 days, I ate a lot of pizza and Italian cuisine, and deli. And Boston, seafood and Italian... and donuts.:LOL:

Since Kentucky fought with the winning team in the War of Northern Aggression, bourbon is Northern cuisine.

Southern cooking,
Crayfish-farming.jpg
Maine cooking,
hith-lobster-175508181-1-2.jpg
😎

Having lived in the Northeast for all my life, I tend to believe that our cuisine is to a large degree influenced by our immigrant ancestors. Those influences combined with the local ingredients make up our cuisine. We do have regional specialties and favorites.

Having lived in the Northeast for all my life, I tend to believe that our cuisine is to a large degree influenced by our immigrant ancestors. Those influences combined with the local ingredients make up our cuisine. We do have regional specialties and favorites.
I think that is true everywhere. Arizona and Texas have heavy Mexican influences. New Orleans has a heavy influence from the history of slave trade bringing in non-European culture that spread across many of the southern states.

Born and raised in Michigan. This covers it pretty well: Cuisine of the Midwestern United States

Excerpt:
Midwestern cuisine is a regional cuisine of the American Midwest. It draws its culinary roots most significantly from the cuisines of Central, Northern and Eastern Europe, and Native North America...
My mother's cooking was, for whatever reasons, strongly influenced by southern cooking. So, as children, we were exposed to both traditional upper-midwestern and southern cuisine.

Seems like much of the northern states you could consider game meats and dishes to be the thing. Idaho, Montana, Minnesota, Wyoming all big hunting and fishing states.

Not a local food but every Sunday I make crepes..

image.jpg

In a word the food in the NE is authentic. Go for Italian in the North End in Boston. It's wonderful. Go for seafood in Maine. Crabs in Baltimore.
New York is just amazing in the taste and smells. Cheesesteak in Philly.
This country is full of great food and wonderful hospitality. I live in the South and love the food but have grown to enjoy it all.

Stop by rural Pennsylvania and you can eat well! Just don’t plan on doing anything until you come out of your food coma. It is not light food. As others have noted, there are strong European ties to much of the regional cuisine in the northeast.

I’d pay good money to plate that sucker!
Save your money, anyone who eats enough lobster will tell you 1-2# are better tasting and texture. Just like a steak from a 2 yr old steer compared to a 14yr old dairy cow. :cool:

Save your money, anyone who eats enough lobster will tell you 1-2# are better tasting and texture. Just like a steak from a 2 yr old steer compared to a 14yr old dairy cow. :cool:

Oh I know, but just to have that sucker on the table, lol.

Reforming fat boy on a diet speaking.

There is definitely a north/south divide here in the UK as well when it comes to food - in an area about 10 miles from me, it is known for the 'Parmo'

Parmesan, chicken parmo/Parmesan or Tees parmo, is a dish originating in Middlesbrough, North Yorkshire, and found throughout urban northern England. It consists of a breaded cutlet of chicken or pork topped with a white béchamel sauce and cheese, commonly cheddar cheese.

I suspect you have got zero chance of getting that in the south

Hotdishes are much better than casseroles! :ROFLMAO: I think that the MN/WI culinary delicacies consist of high contents of cheese, potatoes, and meat... so really we like our carbs and fats! And deep-fried anything!
@HarlettoScara might have tried one, I definitely haven't, but apparently in Scotland they deep-fry Mars Bars amongst other things

And I saw something last week about a place local to me that does a deep-fried chip butty - not sure how I feel about that....if I remember right, they had chips and curry sauce in the bread bun, then deep-fried it

There is definitely a north/south divide here in the UK as well when it comes to food - in an area about 10 miles from me, it is known for the 'Parmo'

@HarlettoScara might have tried one, I definitely haven't, but apparently in Scotland they deep-fry Mars Bars amongst other things

And I saw something last week about a place local to me that does a deep-fried chip butty - not sure how I feel about that....if I remember right, they had chips and curry sauce in the bread bun, then deep-fried it
Oh the parmo...coming from Thirsk I'm not a million miles away from Boro and have had my fair share of those. After a certain number of beers they are wonderful, but do absolutely no good for the waistline :LOL:

There is a lot of deep fried things up here, although the stuff like Mars Bars being deep fried do frequently get offered they're still a bit of a novelty. The big thing is a crispy pizza though, basically a half pizza deep fried, and it tastes phenomenal. Again, you can feel your arteries slamming shut just by reading the menu:ROFLMAO:

One thing I really missed when living in California was having Dairy Queen’s everywhere. Growing up here I just thought it was a normal thing. When I was working as a lifeguard in college there was one a few hundred yard from the beach I worked at and I had a large DQ shake or peanut buster parfait about 5 days a week, lol.
I’m also a big fan of their deep fried cheese curds and a Heath Bar Bilizzard on a summer weekend. Our kids are in high school and college now and still request a DQ ice cream cake for their birthdays. :)

59E73E5B-0BE2-4055-8EEF-B59B57117B04.jpeg5262463A-364B-4DD3-997E-E90F47B2894C.jpeg

We have great fish fries and old fashions on Fridays. Love both!

29065B58-8194-4830-962E-244E63C094FF.jpeg

You can get it down south but why would you? Cheesy chicken doesn't work unless it is Italian.

One thing I really missed when living in California was having Dairy Queen’s everywhere. Growing up here I just thought it was a normal thing. When I was working as a lifeguard in college there was one a few hundred yard from the beach I worked at and I had a large DQ shake or peanut buster parfait about 5 days a week, lol.
I’m also a big fan of their deep fried cheese curds and a Heath Bar Bilizzard on a summer weekend. Our kids are in high school and college now and still request a DQ ice cream cake for their birthdays. :)

View attachment 8997270View attachment 8997271
Luckily for my taste buds, we have no shortage of DQs in Maine, un-luckily for my waist line, we have no shortage of DQs here in Maine! 😎

#JuicyLucy you're welcome

Back