Does This Change Your Perception Of The Early Downswing?

WILDTHING

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been actively involved in another golf forum for a few years now and this is a 'light bulb' moment for me and thought it important enough to share with you . The below is from a post by Dr Jeff Mann.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please see the 2 images of Jamie Sadloswki's swing below .

SadlowskiHandArcPathP4P5.jpg

Image 1 is at P4 and image 2 is nearly at P5. Note that the hands move rearward from a "A" hand position at P4 to a "B" position at P5.

I have drawn red circles over his shoulder sockets at P4 and I have drawn a blue line between his left shoulder socket and his hands and a yellow line between his right shoulder socket and his hands at hand position A.

I have drawn green circles over his shoulder sockets at P5 and I have drawn a blue line between his left shoulder socket and his hands and a yellow line between his right shoulder socket and his hands at hand position B.

Note that there is lot of translational movement of his left shoulder socket between P4 => P5, but very little translational movement of his right shoulder socket. His hands move rearward due to the rotation of his upper torso combined with depression of his left arm from being angled at a 12 o'clock position at hand position A to being angled at a 10 o'clock position at hand position B. Note that his right arm must adduct so that the right hand can move synchronously with his left hand from position A to position B.

---------------------------------------------

I can imagine many right handed golfers retract their right scapula and protract their left scapula at the top of their backswing. But how many of us keep that folded 'arm/wrists/shoulder' configured as a unit and then use the lower/upper body to rotate that unit in the early downswing (ie. a recipe for an OTT type swing)?

What should happen is that your pivot rotates the left shoulder socket pulling your left arm targetwards (with the help of your left shoulder girdle muscles to bring your left arm down and out) while your right upper arm adducts but also allows the ribcage (ie. its rear side) to 'slide' under the right scapula. You DON'T keep the right scapula tightly retracted and fixed to the ribcage as it rotates in the early downswing (ie, from top of backswing to left arm horizontal).

Strange , but after all these years , I think I now know something that may be crucial in the golf downswing.

But he is a freak of nature flexibility wish, not many humans can get to those positions. Even his wrist set is nuts it's so severe.
No wonder he hits the crapple out of the ball.😎

Back