Does this rule proposal in league make sense?

echico

#MOIJacking
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was on the range this morning and overheard a conversation from a member and our rules guru in the league. He just got a new set of Rogue ST Pros so that is where this is coming from. He asked if we could make an allowance for a desert club. The caveat being that it had to be something that you already game. Meaning that if you use a 50/54/58 wedge you couldn't put a 48 wedge in your bag as a desert club. So if you had a 7i you could add another 7i that would just be for the desert. Never the one to miss out I asked if it had to be same loft and iron type. He wasn't sure how to answer. Everyone that overheard him said that sounds like a good idea but then showed him their clubs with dings and scratches on them. The rules guy said to just stop hitting in the desert.

This is a big money league so not your normal 9 hole after work league so would you be ok for your hit and giggle league allow a 15th club to protect your other clubs?

I am against.

As somebody who plays in the desert and has clubs with soles that look like I play in the desert, I wouldn't be opposed to the idea. I think it's a good idea that it has to be a duplicate of something you already carry so it doesn't really offer any advantage other than being a beater club.

No, take an unplayable if that concerned and don’t hit it in the crap next time 🤷‍♂️

My other league doesn’t allow this either. Just make the first club they ding up their desert club.

It isn't a terrible idea..... but....

You can already carry a desert club if you wanted. Just only carry 14 clubs in your bag, and have the 14th be your desert club.

You can already carry a desert club if you wanted. Just only carry 14 clubs in your bag, and have the 14th be your desert club.
That's how I always looked at it.

That's how I always looked at it.
Like do they also want an exception to carry an opposite hand club in the instance that they need to hit from the other side?

I don't know. Sometimes stuff in league gets a bit silly for trying to change things that don't need to be changed lol.

What’s the point of having a sword if you’re afraid to get blood on it?

Use your clubs in the desert. Don’t like it, don’t hit it there.
Resale obviously. I think that is a dumb reason.

I'm one of those if that's there main concern they should probably buy cheaper clubs and balls as well. Golf is a game where a metal instrument is interacting with the ground. It's going to get scuffed and dinged.

I actually don't hate this rule. But, I think there's something to be said in a big money league for the guys who might be willing to let one of their clubs get dinged up for competition.

Absolutely would support this for a hit and giggle league though

It's not a resale thing for me. I don't even think about that because I never resell my clubs, I either pass them on to a friend or donate them. I just get tired of looking at stuff like this in my bag.

54W.jpg

Guess they better avoid the desert then if they’re worried about resale

This is the correct answer

Does he use iron covers also? :ROFLMAO:

The clubs are going to get beat up no matter what, they are tools, use them.

Like do they also want an exception to carry an opposite hand club in the instance that they need to hit from the other side?

I don't know. Sometimes stuff in league gets a bit silly for trying to change things that don't need to be changed lol.
Yeah I learned how to hit backwards so no opposite hand clubs!

Yeah, I think this is the right answer.

I've played plenty of desert golf. Always carried a versatile 'DESERT CLUB' in the bag ... PLUS THIRTEEN OTHER CLUBS. Everyone in that league has the same option IMO.
Especially hard NO in a big $$$ league.

Last edited:
I don’t live in the desert, so no. Move if you don’t like it 😈

14 clubs is plenty.

I would definitely support this. I used to keep an extra 4 iron in the bag just to punch out of crap. Had a pitch shot last week off some tan bark and didn’t want to mess up my new Edel wedges so tried my set P wedge and had to try a shot I never hit and chunked it to the bunker just trying to save my wedge.

I would definitely support this. I used to keep an extra 4 iron in the bag just to punch out of crap. Had a pitch shot last week off some tan bark and didn’t want to mess up my new Edel wedges so tried my set P wedge and had to try a shot I never hit and chunked it to the bunker just trying to save my wedge.
I think it was the third round I had my clubs for the Morgan Cup I was on a cart path. The closet point of relief was in the desert plants and I was in a league match so couldn't just kick it to the turf. I took 54* off the cart path and left a love mark on the bottom of the club. 🤷‍♂️ Tools not jewels.

I would just drop a club and carry a beater if I was that worried about it. I’m in the tools not jewels camp, my Edel 58 got scuffed up at the event and I got over it quick.

Back