Does too stiff of a shaft make you feel sore?

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
I am curious what the thoughts are on this.

I don't think the shaft does it, but I have noticed that when I'm trying to play a shaft that's a bit much for me on that day or in general that I am more sore from it. I think it comes from the trying. My swing can be noticeably different on video. Which makes sense because I'm forced to try to do what that shaft is requiring of me for the flight I want. And I often pick which driver, 3W, hybrid/driving iron I'm taking for the day based on how my body feels going in. If I'm sore or hurting I do reach for softer.

I don't think the shaft does it, but I have noticed that when I'm trying to play a shaft that's a bit much for me on that day or in general that I am more sore from it. I think it comes from the trying. My swing can be noticeably different on video. Which makes sense because I'm forced to try to do what that shaft is requiring of me for the flight I want. And I often pick which driver, 3W, hybrid/driving iron I'm taking for the day based on how my body feels going in. If I'm sore or hurting I do reach for softer.

This makes oodles of sense to me. One of the things I have noticed since I have been struggling with my game is that my body just feels stiff and a bit sore all the time. I played far more golf In March and April than I ever have for a similar period of time. My driver ball speed is literally down about 8 mph. Softer feels much easier right now.

Ouch. You might just need some rest. It's good for bodies. I should take a week off myself honestly. I'm overdue for it, and can tell, and if I was struggling I guarantee I would. I've actually wished for a streak busting round so I can put them away for a bit.

When I'm really sore I go for the more 'even bend' type profiles. I think they're made for people will smooth tempos, and old people. lol So my buddy usually spots when I have the Riptide on my Mavrik and asks if I'm sore. I definitely think it helps. The problem though is if I loosen up, that profile doesn't work for me well at all, and I'm wishing for a smoke or black.

So what shaft are you using to take some pressure off?

Last edited:
I find weight makes more of a difference than flex... at least in my limited experience.

A friend who's a total club ho brought a driver out one day - no idea what the head/shaft combo was other than it was a XS shaft, but that thing felt like swinging a ten pound sledgehammer. I swung it for one drive and it felt like it was going to rip my shoulders out of the sockets. I probably would have been sore as hell if I gamed that thing for a whole round.

I never play stiff shafts, most are regular flex or even a tad senior. I find that on some days though, I need a bit stronger flex because I am swinging more aggressive and other days I simply cannot stand the stronger flex. As to the original question, I had not really thought about it, but I imagine I do get more sore from it, yet I wonder if weight is more of the contributing factor to soreness and not so much the flex.

As a general rule a shaft that is too stiff encourages a player to swing harder than they should. Given that 95+% of golfers are not using their bodies correctly (safely) when they swing, it is reasonable to assume that the extra effort may lead to potential injuries.

I think there is a balance between too stiff and too soft. Things that are stiffer make it feel like I can swing more aggressively which can result in soreness if I'm overdoing it (100+ full bore driver swings). However, if it's too soft feeling the kick of shaft may cause me to use my body out of sync which can equally cause pain.

I think things too stiff will cause more people soreness trying to get the proper feels out of the shaft.

I am trying out a new driver andam switching between a couple of shafts. I had not thought of this before.

A stiff shaft may demand a more powerful swing which it can make you feel sore. I don’t typically feel sore but I can experience swing fatigue later into the round.

I've always used OEM regular flex. I have no idea about other stiffness and how it would affect my swing

I've always used OEM regular flex. I have no idea about other stiffness and how it would affect my swing
It can make a huge difference and one might not even realize it.

I started messing with different shafts in my driver (flex and weight) and was amazed at how I hit them different on the courses. The other day I actually was using my HZDRS Smoke 60g regular and was not hitting it well and not sure why.

I was all over the place - left/right, etc., switched it back to my 49G Helium (more flex and lighter) and hit three nice long drives in the fairways after that. Just felt right and should have switched out earlier. It is weird because some days I hit the smoke 60g better. My golf game, the never ending saga.

A related tangent. I know we have no standard on flex but I've read and heard people on the board saying that so and so's shaft plays softer or stiffer than stated flex. Are certain companies known for that? Certain shafts only within a company's line?

If you feel an S flex is too much in shaft X, would going to a lighter shaft X in the same flex be of help?

I feel SW affects me more than the flex/stiffness of the shaft. With a swing weight too heavy, I feel like I have to really heave the club which leads to swinging 'harder' instead of more in sequence. A shaft too light, and I end up swinging with less body and more hands because I don't feel like i have to.

im not sure i fully understand the question or the reasoning behind the question...?

I've never noticed any soreness or stiffness because of the flex of my shaft. Maybe because of how many times I swing that day but not the stiffness ;)

Playing a shaft stiffer than prescribed might give mental thought that the player must swing harder or more violently and that could cause overswing...leading to soreness the next day or injuries. Doesn't sound like a good idea.

Sore? not usually. I can get sore just from swinging hard all day. If a shaft is too stiff for me, its just a lower flight typically.

The title of this thread make me :ROFLMAO:

The answer to the question is no I don't think so

A related tangent. I know we have no standard on flex but I've read and heard people on the board saying that so and so's shaft plays softer or stiffer than stated flex. Are certain companies known for that? Certain shafts only within a company's line?

If you feel an S flex is too much in shaft X, would going to a lighter shaft X in the same flex be of help?

Very likely, yes, it could.

Ouch. You might just need some rest. It's good for bodies. I should take a week off myself honestly. I'm overdue for it, and can tell, and if I was struggling I guarantee I would. I've actually wished for a streak busting round so I can put them away for a bit.

When I'm really sore I go for the more 'even bend' type profiles. I think they're made for people will smooth tempos, and old people. lol So my buddy usually spots when I have the Riptide on my Mavrik and asks if I'm sore. I definitely think it helps. The problem though is if I loosen up, that profile doesn't work for me well at all, and I'm wishing for a smoke or black.

So what shaft are you using to take some pressure off?

I had a Smoke Green 6.0 in my driver and was just murdering it a month ago. Hit some of the longest drives I can ever remember. I have put my prototype from the Small Batch Experience back in. It is built off of the Riptide platform.

Last edited:
The title of this thread make me :ROFLMAO:

The answer to the question is no I don't think so

Hey, get your mind on golf, not other things. :oops::LOL:

I just switched from nspro 950s to DGx100. Had a range session, hit about 100 balls and felt soreness, like the kind you get after working out but very subtle. Now I haven't lifted weights in over a year so I guess the change in weight and flex gave me a tiny workout. Did a search on Google and low and behold there are others that experienced the same! I'm a golf pro in my early 40's and have about a 110 SS so the NSpro950s were too soft. Way less dispersion and gained a bit more distance. Anyways, nice to be here. Happy golfing!

It does.But the women seem to love it

I think when you can swing driver 105 or more the stiffer is hard on the forearms.

Back