Does wearing a glove impact grip size?

CMZ24

Reaction score
I recently was fitted to be between a standard and midsize grip. The total grip diameter I was told to be in was .930
That’s a .600 grip on a .600 shaft with 2 extra wraps.
My question is, if I wear a glove, doesn’t that impact the size of the grip/amount of wraps I should use?
When I grab a club without a glove, it fits much smaller in my fingers than when I have a glove on.
Shouldn’t the thickness of the glove be taken into account? The glove is basically like having extra wraps on my grips...

Interesting question. Back when I was fitted, bare handed, just after the dinosaurs disappeared, my golf guru fitted me with a certain size grip. I was a regular iirc. Have been ever since. .

There were not that many different size grips back then. Club builders/fitters relied on tape wraps for grip size adjustments. .

Anyways, at the time, I asked that same question, since I was planning on wearing two gloves. My guru told me it wouldn't matter, that my grip feeling would naturally adjust. I never looked back.

I recently acquired an old Adams Tight Lies 7W, in like new condition. It has a much larger grip on it than I am use to. It's also softer. It feels really good in my gloved hands. This grip also has a lot less taper in it. The ball flights I produce with this club are not much different than my long time gamer's ball flight. In some aspects, maybe even better.

So, I am thinking that next time I need to change out my club grips, I might be asking more questions, and trying something different.

I wear a ML Cadet glove, but can work the ball with less effort, and release harder when needed when using a reduced taper midsized grip.. For me the bigger grip produces less tension in the hands and forearms leading to a more relaxed flow to the swing.

Back