Does your annual golf trip with your buddies have a trophy?

I wish I had a small group annual trip. It would make me immensely happy. Sadly, I don’t anymore.

Man that was a fun weekend and that photo brings back so many memories. I was super honored (and shocked) to have received it last year. True story, the trophy is still on prominent display in my office, and someone asks me if I was a BMX racer about once every couple weeks.
View attachment 8944876
I'm on the hunt for this year's trophy. I imagine it'll be just as cumbersome to transport.

This year should have been our third annual trip ... hopefully later in the year now. No trophy though. Don’t want it getting too serious!

What about a golf ball pyramid like you see at the high end courses? It could vary in sizes for different classes of win... set them in resin... there are a lot of people doing the resin thing right now... top end balls for the highest win... low end balls for the low wins... maybe old cut balls for the worst score or something?

We do prizes like a putter or a bag or something plus a closest to the pin but personally I'd prefer a trophy. Most people are kinda picky about the golf stuff they use and I've yet to actually use anything I've won.

What about a golf ball pyramid like you see at the high end courses? It could vary in sizes for different classes of win... set them in resin... there are a lot of people doing the resin thing right now... top end balls for the highest win... low end balls for the low wins... maybe old cut balls for the worst score or something?
Like the idea... I'm thinking just a two story (5 balls)... Maybe dipped or sprayed gold... E 6000 glue I'll test it out

Yup! My oldest friend and I meet once a year in Pinehurst for a weekend. We were co-captains of our high school golf team together, so we are pretty competitive when we play, especially against each other. And have pretty even handicaps. We arrive in town on Friday evening, play 36 holes Saturday, and 18 Sunday morning. Lowest overall stroke score gets to keep our “Pinehurst Challenge” trophy, which has proudly been in my office at work for the last two years. Won two years ago by 6 strokes after being down 4 strokes overall going into the final 18. Was putting like a man possessed that final round, and had a chip-in birdie early that got the momentum going. Won last year by 8 strokes - tied first 18, took a 6 stroke lead on the second 18, and hammered it home with two more strokes on the final 18. Pic of our trophy attached (pic is from google search, but it’s the same one we ordered when we started this thing). We write the winner each year with year, winner’s initials, and margin of victory on the bottom in silver sharpie.

Attachments

• 47434EBA-798C-4106-83CE-06FF57339A29.jpeg
    47434EBA-798C-4106-83CE-06FF57339A29.jpeg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2
That would take away from beer money, so no...

I think most of my golf friends are like me; we threw all of the hardware in the trash years ago. For an annual golf tradition that has gone on as long as yours has, it would be cool to have something besides a trophy that would be fun for the winner to hang on to each year (not sure what that might be).

A bottle of single barrel whiskey aged 25 years that's only opened once each year for one shot for the winner? Or a bottle of chateau lafitte rothschild opened just to sniff the cork for the winner?

We don't have a trophy for my annual guys trip. This year will be our 21st year of the trip.
What we do have is the Ugly Shirt. Whoever gets the highest score for the day has to wear the Ugly Shirt the whole next day. It's a new shirt every year so it changes.

I wish I had a small group annual trip. It would make me immensely happy. Sadly, I don’t anymore.

I think we should start an annual North Texas Oklahoma Winstar - 36 in one day outing

I love the idea of having a trophy for last place.

I love the idea of having a trophy for last place.

We have another annual trip I've gone on for the past 5 years or so (but the actual event has been going on almost 40 years now!). They do some fun awards on that trip. If you get the worst score they give you a bag of tennis balls. I laughed pretty hard at that the first year I went ... when they handed ME the tennis balls. The idea being, of course, that perhaps I should consider a different sport. It was all in good fun.

Not a golf trip with my buddies. But each Memorial Day we have a tournament in backyard games. I made a trophy last year. I got tshirt printed up for the person that finished last with their face on it. It was really funny.

You're giving me an interesting idea here!! I affectionately named this event after a particular terrible whiskey of which someone in this group always ends up passing out shots. It has kind of become a thing. I dubbed it the "Texas Fireball Cup". Even created a logo (with significant elements liberally borrowed from Fireball Whiskey) and I'm having it printed on golf towels to hand out.

But for a trophy I've been trying to figure out if I can incorporate a bottle of Fireball. Now I'm thinking maybe a 4x4x4 resin block of golf balls with the bottle mounted above it. Of course now I'm probably out of time for getting something like that made. Maybe this year I'll have a Yeti-type tumbler made with the logo on it and give that out as "the cup".

Back