Does Your Course Use Alternating Holes?

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
This time of year, a few of the courses I play have two holes cut in the greens.
I get the idea. So you don't wear out a certain part of the green. Play a few days at one location, then move it to the other location on other days.
Plus not having to cut holes very often when the greens are hard, frozen, etc.
Sometimes the holes are alternated by the groups playing. Meaning one group plays to the back, then they move it to the front for the group behind to play it there. But I noticed today that they had these white cups over the other hole. Which is no big deal because most groups forget to move the flag anyway.
The only downside I see to this is that the hole eventually will become worn out, with the freeze and thaw of the greens and not moving the flag. So that area does get worn out.
Do you also end up being closer to the "other" hole more often than not? I do .... a lot!
So it gets me thinking more about not paying attention to the flag location. Hitting the center of greens instead. Not worrying about pin location might help with my "proximity to the hole?"
So THP ... does your course use these?

(I'm running into problems posting pics from the phone. I will try to post them later.)

edit ... I still can't upload any pics. And this time I'm on my laptop. It keeps saying "Oops ... we ran into a problem."

Last edited:
Never seen this before either.

Can’t say I’ve ever seen this either.

I have seen it and it doesn’t bother me at all. My club will close soon so not an issue for us.

Have seen this a number of times. With maintenance being much less in shoulder season much easier to have two cups cut and have them set for a week or so.

When I lived in the land of freeze and thaw all but one went to temporaries in the fairway. The one that didn't didn't go to alternating. They would cut and move less times, but none of it was a big concern for them because there weren't that many people braving the cold to play.

Here there are more, but they don't do alternate either. I'm surprised they move them as often as they do though. By spring it looks pretty crazy on some of them.

I have seen this before, but I can't think of any courses close to me that do it. I do have a course or two that doesn't move their pins for weeks at a time, does that count? When the flag starts to sit at an angle instead of vertical that's a pretty good sign it's time to cut a new cup.:sick:

My parents course is the only one I know that does it.

Never heard of it, I know my home course didn't this year.

Never heard of it but seems to be a interesting idea.

Like most, I didn’t even know this was a thing until just now. Seems like it would be hard getting people to use the right hole or move flags around, especially when they won’t even take 4 seconds to fix their ball mark.

Never seen that at any of the courses I have played

My home course has gone to a 'winter green' which is cut into the fairway short of the green in the past, but we have seen it less and less over the last couple of years due to the ongoing maintenance to deal with some drainage issues they had

"Ooops .., we ran into problems."

Is anyone else having issues uploading photos??

I have never heard of this

I've played on courses that use the multiple holes but none of the courses in my area do this.

I've never seen it either, but if I did, I'd obviously putt to whichever hole was closest to where I landed.

Once, playing alone, I hit onto to a huge double green which was the green for the 7th and the 15th hole.

(I had once sank a 100+ foot putt on that green putting to the correct hole. Obviousl;y a no-brainer luck shot.)

Playing alone, however, I once finished that same hole (the 7th) putting to the 15th's hole on purpose because it was much closer and why not?

Never seen this. Our offseason is summer, though, so there wouldn't be any reason to do it.

A local course that we played quite often back in the day would have 2 holes on the green at any one time. The idea was that each group would move the flag to the other hole when completing the hole. Generally on either side of the green as the greens were a decent size. Local Rule had it that if you happened to go in the 'other' hole on approach or off the tee, it counted. But I've never seen it anywhere else that I can think of.

I've never seen it either, but if I did, I'd obviously putt to whichever hole was closest to where I landed.

Once, playing alone, I hit onto to a huge double green which was the green for the 7th and the 15th hole.

(I had once sank a 100+ foot putt on that green putting to the correct hole. Obviousl;y a no-brainer luck shot.)

Playing alone, however, I once finished that same hole (the 7th) putting to the 15th's hole on purpose because it was much closer and why not?

See I can't do this because the hole is covered with a white "Fake Cup" that sits in the cut hole. :eek:

For some reason I can't post the pics in this thread :unsure:

Our local course changes pin locations ever couple of weeks or so. The busier they are, the more they change pin locations.

I've never seen a green, or greens with two pin locations on the same hole.

The course I play does this. Once we're all on the green, we move the pin to the other hole location. If the players behind us are part of our "group," we keep the pin in the same spot so we can compare scores at the end of the round.

My home course used to, but membership voted against it as of two years ago.

It kind of made sense year round since it’s only a 9-hole track. But I’m actually happy to look for only one pin on the green.

Back