does your home course require collared shirts?

My home course does have a dress code of collared shirts and no jeans. However, I have seen they don’t enforce the rule on many occasions. I wish they would be more strict.

Nope, my home course doesn't have too much of a dress code.

I grew up by a 9 hole muni and they didn't care, just needed the fees to keep the doors open!

I always wear golf attire, no matter where I'm playing :)

My home course doesn't, it states no denim either but they don't say anything. Been to one that had the No Shirt, No shoes, no service sign on the front door.

They don’t. Just as long as you don’t wear jeans.

Generally around here it’s collared shirts and no jeans locally but they aren’t real strict on enforcing it. Especially in winter time. They pretty much don’t care what you wear in winter time as they will happily take your money regardless.

I think it's a written rule but not really enforced. I go back and forth on this topic. For the most part I'm traditional and feel like people should adhere to the dress code but there are times when I go out with my kids for a very casual round and wear a t-shirt. It's usually during a slow time on the course though.

My course’s rules. People usually adhere although you have the fairly rare outlier. The thing most strictly enforced is the shoe rule.

Golf Course & Driving Range Golf Attire Guidelines
  • Men
    Collared shirt or golf style pullover. No tee shirts, muscle shirts, etc. Slacks or golf length shorts. (While not preferred, jeans in good condition are acceptable.)
  • Women
    Golf style shirts and tops. No tee shirts or halter tops. Golf style slacks, skirts or shorts. No short shorts. (While not preferred, jeans in good condition are acceptable.)
  • Shoes
    Golf or tennis shoes are required. (No bare feet, flip flops, street shoes or boots.)

***All dress guidelines apply to the range and the golf courses.

I think it’s preferred but I don’t believe it’s mandatory.

Yes, Collared shirt iis required and must be tucked in at my home course.
No denim, shorts are allowed.
I do play at quite a few other courses in the area that have absolutely no dress code at all. I still wear a collared shirt and tuck it in. That’s just how I roll.

Yessir, I joined a course with a strict dress policy and even though I’d enjoy a casual round I don’t think I’d ever wear jeans or a t shirt. I enjoy dressing nice

The two places I go most often have no dress code beyond shirts must be worn. I'd guess about 95% wear khaki or similar pants, and 85% wear a collared shirt. Nothing is enforced in any way, so there is the occasional idiot out there barefoot with no shirt and cutoff jeans, but that's pretty rare.

Golf is like church these days :). I remember the first time I went to church and saw someone in shorts and was a bit shocked. Now, I see people in jeans on the course (public links) while I still wear khakis and a few in logo t-shirts while I wear polos. It's hard to find a restaurant that requires a coat and tie; our society is just becoming more casual all around. I guess we can choose to dress down while we play or choose to continue the traditions we were raised with. I play at public courses now, but years ago when I was at a C.C. would wear plus 4's in tournaments. It's fun to dress up.

My home course has all the appropriate rule signs posted. No denim, collared shirts required, appropriate shoes required, no outside food, beverages, allowed. That type of stuff.

In reality, as long as you look presentable, and pay your fees, my home course won't bother you. I see players wearing blue jeans, and tee shirts quite often in the warmer months. Sweat pants, and shirts in the cooler months. They will say something about your foot wear if it might cause damage to the greens.

Myself I wear cargo pants, or shorts. Short, and long sleeved collared shirts most of the times.

About 40 years ago, a GC employee, called me on wearing a tank top, sleeveless shirt in the short game practice area. He allowed me to stay, but asked that I not wear that type of shirt again.

I think theses days it's all about just getting paying customers on the course for alot golf courses. The almighty dollar trumps all the rules quite often.

Imo the collared shirt rule is not a prevalent now as it was in years past I don't think. Not since some of the pga players started wearing collarless shirts during tournaments. That and some golf apparel manufacturers now sell collarless shirts. .i have seen these shirts on racks being sold at courses.

Nope. Neither of them.

Jeans acceptable in winter time too. And I wear them.

Come at me.

No, but if they don’t have collars then the shirt must be designed for golf. I don’t really agree with it but it is what it is!!

Public course - no denim and collared shirt. But you can have it untucked.

Private course - no denim and collared shirt tucked in required.

Honesty I wish a tucked in shirt was required at my public course because so many golfers look so sloppy. I know it sounds pretentious but I’ve always been a believer in looking good in athletics. I cannot stand ragged workout clothes at the gym either.

I play at a semi private course and a municipal. Generally, no dress code. That said, I always wear a collared shirt. The only exception is in colder weather when I wear a long sleeve mock.

Public course - no denim and collared shirt. But you can have it untucked.

Private course - no denim and collared shirt tucked in required.

Honesty I wish a tucked in shirt was required at my public course because so many golfers look so sloppy. I know it sounds pretentious but I’ve always been a believer in looking good in athletics. I cannot stand ragged workout clothes at the gym either.
If I didn’t know that we get along well already, I’d say we wouldn’t get along ;)

If I didn’t know that we get along well already, I’d say we wouldn’t get along ;)
Haha.

There is a way to look okay with your shirt untucked, and then there is the overweight, sloppy guy with an untucked shirt that either exposes his belly every time he swings or is as long as his shorts.

Jeans don’t bother me - it’s the sloppy, untucked shirt.

I wish I could scan the image in my head - big dog outlet mall collared shirt, stained, and hanging down nearly to the knees.

Verbiage from the course website.

Dress Code
No denim is allowed. Appropriate golf attire, including collared shirts, is required at all times on the golf course. Cut-off shorts, gym shorts, beachwear, t-shirts, halter or tank tops are not proper golf attire. Soft spikes or tennis shoes are required.

Our local muni where I play most of my rounds is pretty open about it, they draw the line at having the sleeves cutoff though.

Yes they are required.

Back