Does your last shot matter?

I can't remember my bad shots but I can exactly when and where I was for all my good ones.

I mostly succeed at ignoring the last one, but from time to time it certainly creeps into my mind.

Should it matter and does it matter are two completely different things. It shouldn't matter you should treat each shot as a new event without a history. However that isn't always realistic for us mortals. I try to clean the last result out of my head and go into the next shot fresh.

The only time I think you might want to take previous shots into account is if you have had a consistent shot shape all day. If you have been hitting draws with your driver all day it is unreasonable to expect to step up and hit a fade unless you are a lot better than I am. If you have had a consistent shot shape and miss all day I think you should take that into account when choosing the shot shape to play.

Nope. What's done is done. The next shot is the only one that matters at that point.

That's the way that I like to approach it.

If I shanked one, it probably would, but other than that, I have gotten a lot better at moving on. A bad shot or hole used to have the potential to derail the round. The last round I played, I doubled number 3 and made a triple on 4 and came back and birdied the next two.

There's an old cricket term, you are only as good as your last ball faced, most times you are out so there's that way to look at it. At least golf gives you the opportunity to make a better shot until the final hole.

It matters for a moment but then I try to let it go. Really, the only shot that matters is the next one.

The best advice I ever got was you have 10 seconds to get over a bad shot, then you need to start to plan your next one. If you hear me counting to 10 on the course you know that I'm reminding myself that the next shot is the one that counts.

NOPE, last shot has no bearing on the next one. I try to not turn 1 bad shot into 2 or 3.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I'm getting better at not letting a bad one stay in my head and getting myself pumped up after a good one. But the answer to the thread title for me is no. Whether it's good or bad, nothing you can do about it now. Focus on what's next. Much easier to write that than think it on the course for me though

I think everyone does in some form. Some use it negatively. Some use it constructively.

No I try not to let my last shot affect me. I won't remember usually the bad shots unless it's really bad. I'm always amazed when someone can recount each and every shot of their rounds of golf... for me, I'm lucky that I remember what hole I had a good shot happen on... I can't do that.

I remember the last situation (drive, approach, chip) not than consecutive shot. This is especially true with chipping which has been abysmal!

In an ideal world, no, and I really try to let the bad ones go quickly and not affect my next one

I would like to quote For The Love Of The Game "Clear The Mechanism". It also helps to not have much up there to clear! HAHA
I love that movie.

Yes it matters.

If I hit a good shot because say, my tempo was good. I'm going to try and do that again.

If I pull a putt and miss it because my alignment was sloppy. I;m going to try and fix that on my next putt.

Whether you crush one down the middle or shank it into the woods, do you let your last shot affect your next one?

You can learn a lot from bad swings and bad rounds if you allow yourself to.

You can learn a lot from good swings and good rounds if you allow yourself to.

During a round where you have accumulated a number of bad swings........ it's all too easy ride the "misery train" to the 18th hole.

The trick is to know it was a bad shot but not let it get to you.

ask me after my next round

Back