Does your score on a particular course directly reflect your like or dislike of the c

X.Man

Reaction score
Handicap
Sometimes I have a bad habit that if I score poorly on a course, that course may go into the dislike bucket and I never want to play that course again, or play it not as often.

Transversely if I score well at a course then that course automatically goes into one of my favorites and I am itching to play it again!

Anybody else feel like this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends how the score came about. If the bad score was because of a few bad bounces or pin placements, but I struck the ball well I won’t discount it at all.

There have been course layouts that have made me not want to play again regardless of my score.

Yes, on the courses where I’ve scored well.

When I’ve scored poorly, it depends. If I’ve played badly, I’ll give it another go. If I’ve hit the ball decently but feel the course is tricked up and that (at least in large part) was what led to my bad scoring, I’m not in a hurry to play it again.

Nope, a lot of nice courses tend to be on the harder side. Unless it’s gimmicky or weirdly laid out, my score doesn’t tend to have a ton to do with whether I like it or not.

Well,...as soon as Im consistent enough to actually be better or worse at a given course I'll let ya know.

Usually I'll reserve judgment on a course until I've played it at least twice. Score isn't the biggest factor as I enjoy and like some highly difficult courses I've played where breaking 80 was the exception rather than the rule. However, I recently played a course for the 1st time where it was difficult to understand where the trouble was, how far and where you needed to hit it off the tee, and that had a lot of elevated greens that were hard as a rock and almost impossible to hold no matter what iron was hit into them. Pace of play, especially on the front, was also an issue. It is a course I'll not go back to.

It depends how the score came about. If the bad score was because of a few bad bounces or pin placements, but I struck the ball well I won’t discount it at all.

There have been course layouts that have made me not want to play again regardless of my score.

This is my thought as well. My greatest example is the two Palmer design courses I have played. Both have beautiful scenery and have some fun holes but both courses are set up extremely similar and don't fit my style of play at all. I loved the scenery of the courses but disliked the setup.

I feel you. I’m lucky enough to play the blue monster quite a bit and on the flipside I know going into it I’m going to shoot something disastrous. So I just really go and take it all im and enjoy the course. So I can see that side of things as well

What I tend to score really doesn't play into whether I prefer a course. The layout (especially hate gimmicky holes), condition, pace, do I get to play various shots from my whole bag etc... are far more important to me. There are some challenging courses that kick me in the teeth every time but I enjoy the beating and look forward to the next one. There are some boring tracks (both easy and hard) that I could care less if I ever play them again.

Looking back at courses I have played, and I actually can’t think of a course that is on my do not play again list.

Agree with this one.

If I get a bad score because of a wonky layout I will be less inclined to go back than a bad score due to bad breaks/off swing day.

My biggest dislike for course design is a purposefully blocked out tee shot. I understand a forced shape shot, but having tree limbs outstretched across most of the teeing grounds scratches my head. I understand space is an issue but a mid iron, short iron par 4 is just weird when it isnt a risk reward hole.

The other thing is course conditions. Tee boxes overgrown definitely gets me worried very quickly

I have a course that I shot my 6 year low on that is in my dislike bucket because I think the greens are gimmicky. Landing the ball 6 feet away shouldn't have you worried about a 3 or 4 putt. Not on a public course that's not used for top tournaments.

I have scored well on layouts I didn’t like and played poorly on ones I did.

I’ve definitely had some holes that don’t fit my eye and the score reflected that.

I try to give every course/layout a shot - some are gimmicky and that just sucks

Nah. I feel like I'm pretty good at separating score from experience.

None that I can think of. I do have plenty of individual holes I dislike.

Generally speaking, courses are to be conquered IMO. The exception is if a course is poorly maintained. We've got one in our area that has gone through different owners and superintendents vacillating from well maintained to garbage. When you can't tell what's going to happen because of a poorly maintained course, I'll go somewhere else. Otherwise, courses are to be conquered.

my least favorite course anywhere is Skamania. Postage stamp fairways, target golf, it has everything I hate about golf. Weirdly, I tend to score roughly the same as any other course...but man do I hate it. And get stuck playing there 2-5 times a year.

Meanwhile, I absolutely loved Quivira but scored the biggest number in a decade. Would play it again in a heartbeat.

I can score high and have fun, I can score low and not enjoy it at all. I can also do the reverse. And that to me is the key...did I have fun whether the number is low or high.

Yes. I keep trying to figure out why this particular course keeps kicking my butt. I play there once a year to see if my opinion changes. I like the look and layout of the course but never seem to do well there. That being said, when I'm struggling I have a course that I go to that always seems to help get me back on track.

I don't think it does but I've only been to a handful of courses where I would vow to never go back. Those were due to awful greens, and one or two where the overall condition of the course didn't justify the greens fees I paid. If I played poorly due to just striking the ball bad or a few bad breaks, it actually makes me want to play it again to see if I can improve.

If my play or some bad bounces resulted in a poor score, then no, I don't hold that against the course.
If it's a dog track like I played this weekend where they have lost all of their greens to snow mold, then I do put that in the temporary dislike bucket.
I drove over 70 miles to play in a tourney that was canceled and I was never told. I get there and find out they lost the greens and were supposed to send an email to ALL entrants announcing the cancellation of the tourney.... 2 weeks ago. I checked my inbox, junk mail, and deleted folder. There was no email from them. Grrrrr !
They let me play the course for free, gave me a free cart rental, a bucket of balls and a free beer at the turn as an apology.
The photo below is what all of their greens look like as of Saturday. Needless to say, I played them all as temp greens and used the 2 putt rule and did not turn in my score.

IMG_3180.jpg

If my play or some bad bounces resulted in a poor score, then no, I don't hold that against the course.
If it's a dog track like I played this weekend where they have lost all of their greens to snow mold, then I do put that in the temporary dislike bucket.
I drove over 70 miles to play in a tourney that was canceled and I was never told. I get there and find out they lost the greens and were supposed to send an email to ALL entrants announcing the cancellation of the tourney.... 2 weeks ago. I checked my inbox, junk mail, and deleted folder. There was no email from them. Grrrrr !
They let me play the course for free, gave me a free cart rental, a bucket of balls and a free beer at the turn as an apology.
The photo below is what all of their greens look like as of Saturday. Needless to say, I played them all as temp greens and used the 2 putt rule and did not turn in my score.

View attachment 39682

Damn that’s awful!!

Yes I would say this is accurate. If I score well somewhere then yeah I will want to go back there and play it again.

Their has been a few courses locally that I've played only once and I got my ass kicked. I will say over the summer I will go back to these courses and try to fire a better number

Nope I'm a glutton for punishment. One of my favorite courses in the area, I struggle mightily to break 90 there and usually shoot somewhere in the mid-90's. Normal scores for me are in the mid 80 range, but we would play this one at least twice a month.

I like a challenge and will continue to play the tougher course as I feel like it makes me a better player overall.

Yes and no.

It really depends on WHY i score a lot worse at one place over another.

I have a love/hate relationship with a local tight course with thick rough.

It's always in great condition and well run.

But it absolutely plays to my biggest weaknesses.

I still play it at least once every 6 weeks or so---but so tend to gravitate towards coursea with wider fairways.

It is sometimes borderline not fun to play somewhere that always defeats you.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I really only dislike courses that are generic. If the course is challenging and has interesting holes than I enjoy it. It's like trying to crack the code of the course to score well on it. If a course is really generic and not very interesting I really don't want to play it again. The only courses that I would not play again due to my score would be a course like Bethpage Black. I am not interested in battling a course that is really long and tight everywhere. If It's hard because the strategy is tough that's fine, but hard just to be hard is not very fun. From the looks of it I would also put Pinehurst No. 2 in that category as well.

Back