Dominate eye while putting and swinging

U_of_Bucky

Reaction score
Handicap
Do you determine which eye you will use when putting, chipping, and full swing?

I find when I forget to do this action my directional choices suck.

I generally don't think about it but know that I am extremely right eye dominant and it will completely over ride my left eye when doing anything, except when I close my right eye. So I guess my proper answer is I don't consciously think about it but rather my body adjusts as it seems fit with the feel of my eye dominance.

Assuming you meant dominant.

I'm most definitely right eye dominant now. My left eye is 20/400. I'm screwed.

What about the golfers who are able to switch dominance?

In oder for me to shoot trap clays, I need to be VERY aware of which eye I an using!

I'm right eye dominant when shooting, but I've never paid attention to it in golf - in thinking about it, I guess it feels like I use both eyes.

Never really thought about it as far as golf is concerned. I just see what I see.

I do know that I am a right handed person, who is left eye dominant.

Never really thought about it as far as golf is concerned. I just see what I see.

I do know that I am a right-handed person, who is left eye dominant.
Baseball players who wee cross dominate, Ted Wiliams and Sta Musial, were successful. Try putting with both eyes then using one eye o the other. When I get into a putting funk I use both eyes with a side-saddle facing forward putting style. Extreme measures fo a insidious problem.

Assuming you meant dominant.

I'm most definitely right eye dominant now. My left eye is 20/400. I'm screwed.
^^ I was left eye dominant until I took a 9-iron to the head and started the long road to become 'more right' eye dominant. I don't think it plays much of a role for me reading or making choices on greens though. I naturally close my left now when I'm really struggling to see, and I don't think I ever do it doing that. At least not to determine direction. I'll close it when I get over the ball sometimes so I can get the ball and putter where I need them without bumping them.
If I need to figure something like that out before swinging I might as well close them both.

^^ I was left eye dominant until I took a 9-iron to the head and started the long road to become 'more right' eye dominant. I don't think it plays much of a role for me reading or making choices on greens though. I naturally close my left now when I'm really struggling to see, and I don't think I ever do it doing that. At least not to determine direction. I'll close it when I get over the ball sometimes so I can get the ball and putter where I need them without bumping them.
If I need to figure something like that out before swinging I might as well close them both.

I agree with you. i do not care which is your natural eye. Choose!

Super left eye dominant here. I dont pay much attention to it for driving and irons, but for putting I realize my alignment and positioning are often way off

Do you determine which eye you will use when putting, chipping, and full swing?

I find when I forget to do this action my directional choices suck.
No, I just putt, chip, and full swing with however my eyes currently work. I know a guy that went for a putter fitting and they got his straight on his eye line and he said it has helped. I think my eyes are not my problem, it is other areas I suck at. LOL

I'm left eye dominant... matter of fact, I'm left side dominant so I tend to do things based on approaching from the left. I don't close either eye when lining up a putt or a shot.

So how does one handle this? Does a right handed right eye dominant putter open the stance, tilt his head? What? To take advantage of the dominant eye

I don't worry about it. I have other/bigger golf swing related issues to worry about.

for putting I realize my alignment and positioning are often way off

With my left eye being screwed up, I have to trust my alignment once I'm over the ball. It NEVER looks aligned when I get there. I can still read a green and find the break from behind the ball, but once I'm over it, everything looks different. I can't count the number of times that I've decided my alignment was "just a little off" and tweaked it at address only to miss it by that much.

My brain tells me what eye it prefers be dominant. I’m right handed and left eye dominant, if I try to force my right eye to take over, things go haywire. After my sons eye surgery we have eye patches galore, so I’ve played around with patching my left eye and it’s not a good experience. Your dominant eye is that way for a reason.

This is interesting because I trained myself to be left eye dominant for golf and right eye dominant for shooting sports.

So how does one handle this? Does a right handed right eye dominant putter open the stance, tilt his head? What? To take advantage of the dominant eye
I think the way to handle the situation is to aware of your dominance when you are looking at a target with both eyes. Then be consistent.

For example, looking at a putt from behind the ball would involve using both eyes. If you are right-eyed dominant that will be the line you see. Now slide into putting position. When you reaffirm the line and distance be sure to swivel your head enough so your Right eye can SEE. Not enough swivel and your nose bridge will force the left eye to take over. Then returning our head to the ball and putter we go back to the right eye dominance. This confusion can lead to the indecision of where the intended target line is.

So when I pick a target line from the side I make sure I know whether it been a binocular or mono ocular view.

Driving the ball requires a big shoulder turn for me. I can lose sight of the ball unless I have closed my stance. Also, I tilt my head to the trailside similar to Jack Nicklaus. Now I am very aware of looking at the ball with my left non-dominant eye. I have practiced keeping that eye point of view during the swing. This helps me with the plane angle I plan on sticking the ball. How much inside to out.

I'm now glad that I'm so strongly right eye dominant that I never have to think about it. Being blessed with the ability to go back and forth, like Teddy Ballgame, Stan the Man, and the OP, might indeed provide advantages, but it sounds pretty hard.

I'm left-eye dominant and swing right handed. I have no idea what the optimal head/eye position might be though?

I’m left eye dominant, so as a righty it creates some issues to overcome when putting. It’s why dots typically works beat alignment wise for me.

Left eye dominant. Never gave it any thought on the full swing but I am very aware of it when putting.

Back