Dormant greens - rotating hole locations

orchard53

Reaction score
Local golf course lets greens go dormant, has several hole locations each green. One active with flag, the others have plastic caps.
Do you have similar at your course? The holes are getting a volcano effect after they get used a few times.

Second question - if one of the caps is in your putting line is that ground under repair? Can you move ball or play it as is?

Are there any local rules for the questions you asked? Are you in your off season for handicap purposes right now?
I would have to believe you wound't have to put over a flat cap of a hole.

They used to do this at my course with our old superintendent. They had 3 pins that they would rotate. I do think you could move it a little if they were in the way.

Never seen anything like that. If there wasn’t a local rule granting relief from them, we’d form our own “committee” right there on the course and make our own local rule for it (not in a competition though, obviously). Having to putt over a plastic cap is ridiculous.

Local golf course lets greens go dormant, has several hole locations each green. One active with flag, the others have plastic caps.
Do you have similar at your course? The holes are getting a volcano effect after they get used a few times.

Second question - if one of the caps is in your putting line is that ground under repair? Can you move ball or play it as is?

The worst local course never changed their pin locations all year this year. Played in a scramble (4 man but basically honest as you played as an 8 some). The winning score was -13 IIRC and was comprised of +2 to 3 guy and three single digits. This on a 5600 yard course. Our team had a close to scratch, about a 10, a 15, and a 36+. We were 3rd at 7 under. My son and I have played it in under that as a 2 man scramble. No one made putts all day as every hole was a joke when it came to putting from more than 5ft.

I think -19 won it the year before. There are only a couple 4’s that aren’t driveable and I’ve hit less than full GW into both 5’s which are 5’s in name only. Not that I always or usually do, but they’re at most a mid iron with a decent tee shot.

I'll ask at course about any local rule. The holes are also getting deformed from people using a grabber on the grip end of their putter and just so much use. It's California so golfing all year,

My course has two flag locations on each hole which are supposed to be rotated by each group. No one in my group has ever questioned the legality of moving their ball if the unused cup hole is in their path - they just move their ball.

My course has two flag locations on each hole which are supposed to be rotated by each group. No one in my group has ever questioned the legality of moving their ball if the unused cup hole is in their path - they just move their ball.
I've seen this before on very busy public courses as a way to reduce some of the traffic around the hole. I've never seen multiple cups with any type of "cap" covering them. During the winter with a drastic reduction in play I've seen holes remain in the same location for many days.

I've seen this before on very busy public courses as a way to reduce some of the traffic around the hole. I've never seen multiple cups with any type of "cap" covering them. During the winter with a drastic reduction in play I've seen holes remain in the same location for many days.

The one I referenced left them in the same place from opening day to closing day. I’ll play it over the winter if we have two days over 40 so all the greens thaw, but only because it’s the only one I can get on. I don’t worry about the pins much then. We play loose with winter golf. It’s just practice anyways and unless it’s an eagle putt it’s just to big of PITA to clear the detritus out of the way so if the first putt doesn’t go in the second is good. These are not greens you’d (or even me) often 3 putt.

Good luck as they all look like mini volcanoes with mini volcano rocks the last dead 5ft. It’s pretty sad.

we are hoping to play at noon today at 35 degrees at start. 22 right now. I don't think the green keeper has any choice on dormant or otherwise.

They don't move the pins in winter very often. Has been location 6 for 8 weeks now.

Back