Double Carpal Tunnel Surgery - a golfer's experience

ClarkeWoodfin

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello Everyone,

I recently had Carpal Tunnel surgery in both hands, and I wanted to share with everyone my experience in detail. I'm sure that many of you know you have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) and a lot of you may suspect that you have it. I'm hoping this post will encourage people to get the problem diagnosed and fixed.

Common Sense Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor, and I don't play one on TV. Don't take this as medical advice from me, since I'm not qualified to give any. Go see a real doctor (and not one that's just on TV) and get advice on CTS from him/her.

I've suspected for about 10 years that I've had CTS in both hands. My hands would get numb whenever I painted, rode a bike, played tennis, or held a fishing rod. What's really odd was that my right hand would get numb while holding a pair of chopsticks. Isn't that weird? I thought so too. My CTS would get aggravated whenever I'd do yard work, went fishing, etc. It never go so bad that I went to the doctor, but I knew that eventually I'd need to do that. Some people have more severe CTS symptoms like severe numbness and pain. Mine hadn't gotten that bad.

In 2013 I dedicated myself to really improving my golf game. After many sessions at the range hitting balls, and hitting them off those lame plastic mats - my hands were really sore and really hurt. Besides the frustrating of dealing with it, I started worrying that I might have something more serious than just CTS, so I finally went to the doctor.

At my first appointment the doctor did a quick manual test and said it was highly likely that I had moderate CTS in both hands. At my second appointment they did an electrical test to verify it. Indeed, I had moderate CTS. Oddly enough, I was relieved that it was "only"moderate CTS and not something more serious. The doctor said that with moderate CTS the only long term solution is surgery. You can wear braces at night that relieve the symptoms but it won't cure it. The doctor recommended a cortisone shot to relieve the symptoms for a few weeks, which would get me through most of the summer and then I could have the surgery in the winter. I didn't want to have the surgery in the summer, since it would keep me away from golf for at least two months, and would keep me out of my swimming pool during the prime summer months. So I decided to get the cortisone shot. I got relief immediately, and the effect lasted about six weeks. The interesting part was that for the first time in over 10 years, I was free of CTS symptoms. I didn't remember what it was like to have "normal" hands since I'd had CTS for so long. It was at that point that I decided the hassle of surgery would be worth it to get back to having "normal" hands for the rest of my life. I also talked to several friends and family members (including my father who is a retired doctor) that had been through the surgery - and everyone said it was really minor and they are glad they had the surgery.

I needed to have both hands fixed, and the doctor recommend a minimum of three weeks between the two surgeries. I wanted to get it over with and get back to normal and back to playing golf again, so I scheduled the first surgery for mid November which is the real beginning of winter here in Maryland. The surgery itself was quick and easy, only 10 or 15 minutes (although I was in twilight sleep so I don't remember any of it). All the "overhead" was a hassle,though, as it is with any surgery. Pre-op consult, blood draw, no food after midnight the night before, taking off work, going to the hospital, etc. Then I spent the weekend with my hand in a bandage watching TV (mostly the Golf Channel and ESPN, of course). The real hassle is not being able to get it wet for two weeks, which means sticking your hand in a plastic bag every time you take a shower (until the stitches are taken out). It's interesting that after the surgery I got immediate relief from the CTS symptoms. Sure, my hand and wrist were swollen from the surgery but the CTS was GONE! I only had minor pain and soreness and only needed to take a mild pain killer for one day. After that I got by on Motrin. Overall, the surgery itself is really minor, but the doctor says it takes 90 days to get back to normal. My first question (of course) was how long before I could hit golf balls again. To my surprise, he said it was only 6 to 8 weeks and that even if I wanted to try hitting balls at 6 weeks, there was no possibility of doing any damage to my hand or wrist. It might hurt some, but it wouldn't do any harm.

After the minimum wait of three weeks after the first surgery on my right hand it was time to go back AGAIN to do the left (3 weeks later). It was like the movie Groundhog Day - same hospital, same surgical center, same prep procedure, same operating room, same doctor, etc. The second one was a little easier than the first, but was pretty much the exact same process.

As I write this, it's been 9 weeks since my right hand surgery and 6 weeks from my left hand surgery, and I'm about 80% back to normal. I only have a little bit of soreness from the surgery and I'm delighted that the CTS symptoms are GONE in both hands. I haven't missed any golf (since I don't like to play in cold weather) with the exception of hitting range balls on the few nice days we've had. My pool is closed so I haven't missed any swimming time with my wife or kids. I'm really looking forward to riding my bike, eating sushi, and doing yoga or push ups without my hands being numb. I REALLY looking forward to playing golf with my "new" hands.

Honestly, going through the process of having the surgery and the recovery for both hands was a big hassle. But as expected, I feel like it's definitely been worth it.

If you're dealing with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome symptoms, go see your doctor. At least you'll find out what your problem might be. And my doctor told me that moderate CTS will eventually turn into severe CTS with the possibility of permanent nerve damage. Don't take the chance !

Good insight buddy...thanks for the write up. Where do you play in Annapolis? I'm live about 20 minutes from there.

Thanks for the write up. I'm fairly sure I have CTS, so that was quite an interesting read for me.

Nice to hear from another Marylander! I live in Arnold and usually play Bay Hills (I live about a mile away) but occasionally play Eisenhower and once in awhile at Renditions or Queenstown. Would love to play Navy more often but don't know anyone who's a member. Where do you play ?

Sounds like you are on track for a full recovery.
Really glad it's working out !!

Nice to hear from another Marylander! I live in Arnold and usually play Bay Hills (I live about a mile away) but occasionally play Eisenhower and once in awhile at Renditions or Queenstown. Would love to play Navy more often but don't know anyone who's a member. Where do you play ?
I play all over the state really. I'm retired Navy, maybe we can get in over there one day this spring/summer

Thanks for sharing. Glad the surgery went well along with the recovery. Sounds like you will be ready to go for golf for the spring.

Found this post doing a search on carpal tunnel and decided to bring it back from the dead...

I am familiar with the surgery; had my left hand done about 2 years before I started playing golf, so I was obviously fully healed by then.
My right hand has gotten progressively worse the past couple years and I've put it off long enough, so it's finally time to get it taken care of.
The EMG and meeting with surgeon are scheduled, and I'm looking to have it done sometime in mid-November.

Since the OP never posted any follow-ups, has anyone else had this surgery, and if so, how long before you were back to golfing again?

I had both hands done 2 years ago this November. 2 weeks between the surgery's. I was riding my mountain bike 10 days after my first surgery, 4 days before the second. I was washing my car the day after with my op. hand with a latex glove on it to not get it dirty.

As a downhill/enduro bike rider, before golfer, there's a lot more stress than golf IMHO.

The next day I was able to pick things up and had no problems at all. It's not the least bit painful. They tell you to keep it clean.

Do it. You'll be thrilled you did.

Ttyl, Rob

Back