Dartgod

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I last played golf on July 15th (Sat.), my birthday. The next day I had a knot in my lower back, right side. No biggie, I've had that before, it'll be better in a couple of days. That Monday, I started having pain in my right thigh whenever standing or walking. I had a couple of chiropractor treatments Tue and Thur. Friday at work it was so bad, I tried to get in to see my doctor, no openings. Took off work early and my wife took me to the emergency room. They treated me for sciatica, gave me a shot of steroids for the inflammation and muscle relaxers.

Monday and Tuesday the following week, I was no better and stayed home from work. Went to a back doctor on Wednesday, he says what I think he's going to say, disk issues at L3-L4. I go get an MRI on Wednesday and back to the doc's on Thursday. Doc says this is probably the best MRI I'll see all week. No disk issues at all. The pain seems to radiate from my hip, so he sent me back for another MRI on my right hip. He is out of the office this week, but supposed to have another doc in the office read my MRI tomorrow. Meanwhile, I am in pain anytime I am on my feet for more than a few minutes. The pain starts in my hip and radiates down the front of my thigh...sometimes I even feel it in my knee and shin. Sitting and laying down I'm ok for the most part, just a little discomfort in the hip area.

This really bums me out because I don't see any relief coming for at least a week or more with my doctor being out. And this weekend's weather is supposed to be fantastic, but no way I can golf now.

I even got new golf shoes and 5 dozen new balls for my birthday but haven't been able to use any of them for the last two weeks.

Thanks, just had to vent...

Damn man, sorry to hear about that. Keep positive and take it one day at a time.

Sorry to hear that DG, positive thoughts headed your way.

Head up and here's to praying they get this figured out SOON!

Oh man....hope you recover quickly and get back on the course !

Hope you recover quickly DG.

Hopefully it is a short break from the golf and you are feeling better soon my man.

Hope you heal soon, I would skip the doc and go find a good chiropractor. Works best for me generally to get a good tuneup from my chiropractor.

Feel for you! Winter before last I had a fragmented disc that was laying on a nerve causing immense pain down my leg. Chiropractor buddy that ordered the MRI saw the results and told me I'd need surgery. Orthodpedist had other ideas and after 4 months of being more or less incapacitated for a second opinion and had surgery that week.

Was by far the worst 4 months of my life, so hope yours is resolved sooner than later!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hope you're back to 100% soon DG.

Feel for you man. I've dealt with Sciatica myself in the past, very badly for one full golf year but I trudged on by using meds. Doesn't bother me much anymore except for when it's cold out. You are doing the smart thing and seeking help from a doctor. That's what I should've done and probably should still do.

You'll get better.

Thanks for all the replies and well wishes.

Quick note that some may have missed. The MRI of my back came back clean and this pain is not a result of back issues. There is something else going on in my hip. Hopefully the doctor identifies the issue tomorrow and it's an easy fix.

Hope they get it diagnosed quickly and you're on the road to recovery quickly. That's a real bummer man!

Listen to the docs!!!!!

I put off disc injuries for years and it lead to a pretty serious nerve issue.

If you can find a good sports physiotherapist, give them a shout, you may be suffering from something similar to me where the sciatic nerve has been trapped and compressed which is causing the pain

A good one will be able to identify if this is the problem and can stretch out the hip area where the nerve is being trapped - after only a single session I had major relief and was back on my feet within a couple days and back to full mobility within a week. I do still take Ibuprofen before playing golf to help ease the muscles but that along with stretches most days keeps me moving well

Be careful not to overdo it but there is no reason why you can't be fully sorted within a week or so without major treatment

Obviously this is all dependent on your problem being the same as mine, but if it is, you shouldn't be suffering for long

Sorry to hear, buddy! Hoping you heal up quickly!

Had the same pain two years ago and then had total right replacement. I hope that's not it. The good news is that a pain doc can give you shot via X-ray and the pain will be gone unless it's none on bone.

Dang, man, sorry to hear about your struggles! Good luck! I hope it's temporary and resolved soon so you can play again.

Hang in there Don! Struggling with an injury is really tough, especially if they can't identify the source with a high level of certainty. I really hope the doctors find the problem quickly and solve it even faster! Get well soon.

Last edited:
That's a bummer to hear, hopefully the next MRI helps them figure out what's going on so they can fix you up quickly.

If you can find a good sports physiotherapist, give them a shout, you may be suffering from something similar to me where the sciatic nerve has been trapped and compressed which is causing the pain

A good one will be able to identify if this is the problem and can stretch out the hip area where the nerve is being trapped - after only a single session I had major relief and was back on my feet within a couple days and back to full mobility within a week. I do still take Ibuprofen before playing golf to help ease the muscles but that along with stretches most days keeps me moving well

Be careful not to overdo it but there is no reason why you can't be fully sorted within a week or so without major treatment

Obviously this is all dependent on your problem being the same as mine, but if it is, you shouldn't be suffering for long

I suspect it's something like this. I did some research this weekend and bursitis of the hip can present many of the same symptoms. One of which is the pain seems to be the worst when I get up after a nights sleep.

Doctor appointment is tomorrow so hopefully some good news.

Thanks again all for the good thoughts.

That stinks buddy. Wishing you a full and speedy recovery.

Hang in there. You'll be back on the course before you know it.

Hope you get it figured out and make a full recovery. I had something similar a couple of years ago. It turned out my hip labrum was torn.

Back