Dr Kwon (World Renowned Golf Biomechanics Expert) vs Shawn Clement

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wish I had started at that age. Competition for Charlie Woods

Wish I had started at that age. Competition for Charlie Woods
The step drill at a young age! Fascinating how natural that is and someone in diapers proves it without all the brain clutter to confuse it.

See, that is why I like Kwon. He knows his stuff, but doesn’t try to teach the golfer biomechanics. He just developed drills to get golfers moving in a more fluid and natural way that aligns with what he has seen is in his biomechanic studies. He has said numerous times that he is not a golf teacher but that his theories and drills will help you.

I am not to far into his teachings, but I do like the rope drill in terms of finding a good and repeatable swing plane. But if I do his drills without hitting balls shortly after, I can get wonky. I was swinging a rope all week and the first 10 balls at the range today were awful.
Yes Sir - and- IMO - and the results of your next million shots will work out the same. Again IMO , that is about the worst advice anyone
could ever give a golfer and extremely detrimental to learning a correct golf swing. That rope illustration is 180 degrees opposite the correct swing . Sorry, but it just doesn’t work that way - exactly the opposite !

Yes Sir - and- IMO - and the results of your next million shots will work out the same. Again IMO , that is about the worst advice anyone
could ever give a golfer and extremely detrimental to learning a correct golf swing. That rope illustration is 180 degrees opposite the correct swing . Sorry, but it just doesn’t work that way - exactly the opposite !
During the time of silence from you yesterday, I was thinking you might have went away and took your agenda with you. Today we find we are not so fortunate.

See, that is why I like Kwon. He knows his stuff, but doesn’t try to teach the golfer biomechanics. He just developed drills to get golfers moving in a more fluid and natural way that aligns with what he has seen is in his biomechanic studies. He has said numerous times that he is not a golf teacher but that his theories and drills will help you.

I am not to far into his teachings, but I do like the rope drill in terms of finding a good and repeatable swing plane. But if I do his drills without hitting balls shortly after, I can get wonky. I was swinging a rope all week and the first 10 balls at the range today were awful.
I would mix the drills up some. I tend to drill some hit balls, drill another drill hit balls, etc. That way it ingrains the objective. I have been doing some rope drills, kettlebell drills, step drills etc. I played 3 sim rounds yesterday and swung some of my most consistent shots throughout all 3 rounds. IMO these drills are very good, but too much of a drill can cause adverse affects.

Felt like I should explain more. When I imply that too much of a drill can cause adverse affects what I am referring to is how you notice that Kwon uses a methodology of phases. He doesn't keep a person on a single phase too long before he goes into another one. Then he might go back to the original phase again.

I'm jealous:unsure:

Amazing young athlete - still in diapers , but is able to form a lever with her HANDS and ARMS ( and also a third lever / coupling / joint in her right elbow ) . Even with these somewhat awkward extra levers / joints —- and EVEN with all that extra unnecessary foot and leg movement ( which is expected at this age ) - and even with her HANDS being apart on the grip end—even with ALL this extra -this young Phenom was STILL able use her DOMINANT RIGHT HAND TO LOCATE and to strike the ball in the very center of the face . AWESOME !
Maybe her parents taught her that, but I don’t think that’s possible. She is certainly to young to understand this , but her natural talent allows her to measure and use her * dominant right hand * to do this. She has already acquired hand - eye coordination.
A very talented Phenom !

During the time of silence from you yesterday, I was thinking you might have went away and took your agenda with you. Today we find we are not so fortunate.
I am so sorry to disappoint you !

Dominant hands? :ROFLMAO:

Look at this swing!

Yep- as I have stated many times . You hand a kid a club and they will pull it back there somewhere and form a lever with their DOMINANT HANDS and swing it down and around them to strike an object, until misinformed adults get them thinking about their legs !
Its a shame . Sad .

I am so sorry to disappoint you !
It is all good. Glad you are posting. The self-exposition of errors takes care of itself and no need to call it out. Back to Kwon who actually gives proven evidence...

If this thread is going to turn into the same pissing match that every single swing thread has come to be, then we will just close it up.

Want to state something? Great
Want to debate something? Great
Want to repeat the same ******** over and over again and call people names? Take it elsewhere.

Apparently, this kid hasn’t been taught about leg drive, ground forces and ground reaction . I can only hope he isn’t.

Yes, there are different ways to swing a club. I think several work, depending on that individual. And all methods have much in common, because I always look for commonality even though some will differ. One method is driving the hands and the lower body supports by allowing it to do so, and the other method uses the lower body as the major power source. And that's in general. Since I am doing more along the lines of Kwon and my son is doing more along the lines of dominant hands, I get to see both methods taught.

Yes, there are different ways to swing a club. I think several work, depending on that individual. And all methods have much in common, because I always look for commonality even though some will differ. One method is driving the hands and the lower body supports by allowing it to do so, and the other method uses the lower body as the major power source. And that's in general. Since I am doing more along the lines of Kwon and my son is doing more along the lines of dominant hands, I get to see both methods taught.
Good post. Just like no one size golf swing fits all, not one size fix, fixes all. Some lack good hand and arm movement and others lack good body movement. I was watching SC videos and noticed that he taught some of the same things that Kwon teaches just from a slightly different angle. SC had some stepping/walking drills to promote more body centered swing instead of swaying swing.

Here is one of SC's videos dealing with this walking drill action. While watching I could see what Kwon and SC are trying to get folks to learn -

Ignore option keeping me sane.

Understanding how to use the legs is so important. Understanding that there isn't just one way to use the legs is even more important. I wish I had more time to take in some of the longer videos.

Not Dr. Kwon related, but watching the lower body action here is awesome.

Ignore option keeping me sane.

Understanding how to use the legs is so important. Understanding that there isn't just one way to use the legs is even more important. I wish I had more time to take in some of the longer videos.

Not Dr. Kwon related, but watching the lower body action here is awesome.

Wow - dude got some long legs too. It amazes me how someone like that can get the club back at the ball at a decent address position. I would probably miss the ball entirely :ROFLMAO:

Wow - dude got some long legs too. It amazes me how someone like that can get the club back at the ball at a decent address position. I would probably miss the ball entirely :ROFLMAO:
Wilco's recentering looks to be about an inch, it's there though and it's obvious that it allows him to rotate his thigh towards the target. Think about Dr. Kwon and his ideas, recenter - hips rotate against closed shoulders - hands drop - let it go.

It's almost insulting how effortless Wilco makes that much speed look. Granted, he's only 21 and hasn't had time for the weight of the world to bludgeon him.

Well- no need to wonder any longer ! I will explain it to you ! Since and when the clubhead is pulled back around your body out of eyesight it becomes the task of our DOMINANT RIGHT HAND to measure the location and distance to a golf BALL ONLY 1.680 inches in diameter and to hit it consistently on the middle of grooves only 2 inches long in the center of the face of an iron being pulled down on an inclined arc from a distance of approx. 10-12 feet from the top of the BS - not to mention extremely high clubhead speeds !!!!
That leaves you approx. 1/4 inch on each side of the grooves for either a shank or a toe hit . Those are very close tolerances that ONLY the humans dominant hands can accomplish. The legs , hips , nose , toes , elbows , knees, feet, shoulders nor any other part of the body can accomplish such a difficult task —-try as hard as you might !
Sorry, but FACTS can not be denied . It is what it is !

Well- no need to wonder any longer ! I will explain it to you ! Since and when the clubhead is pulled back around your body out of eyesight it becomes the task of our DOMINANT RIGHT HAND to measure the location and distance to a golf BALL ONLY 1.680 inches in diameter and to hit it consistently on the middle of grooves only 2 inches long in the center of the face of an iron being pulled down on an inclined arc from a distance of approx. 10-12 feet from the top of the BS - not to mention extremely high clubhead speeds !!!!
That leaves you approx. 1/4 inch on each side of the grooves for either a shank or a toe hit . Those are very close tolerances that ONLY the humans dominant hands can accomplish. The legs , hips , nose , toes , elbows , knees, feet, shoulders nor any other part of the body can accomplish such a difficult task —-try as hard as you might !
Your wasting your time and are wrong on so many points. Back to Kwon...

Wilco's recentering looks to be about an inch, it's there though and it's obvious that it allows him to rotate his thigh towards the target. Think about Dr. Kwon and his ideas, recenter - hips rotate against closed shoulders - hands drop - let it go.

It's almost insulting how effortless Wilco makes that much speed look. Granted, he's only 21 and hasn't had time for the weight of the world to bludgeon him.
Some golfers build an amazing amount of speed and force. My youngest son was at a pro tournament last year and was standing directly behind Zalatoris and videoed him. My son told me you cannot pay attention to how their swings look on TV as it doesn't even come close to the actual swing. I watched the video and it was simply amazing at how Zalatoris swung his driver being a somewhat slim guy. It looked like his spine was going to snap in half and like he had used every ounce of everything in his body to swing with. It just looks so violent :ROFLMAO:

I know Dr. Kwon's ideas may not fit everyone and it might be that would not be overly beneficial to a pro, but they are certainly proven to help most people and especially with golfers my age. They just make it easier for me to keep things consistent. I was practicing them just a while ago and the step drills are now so much easier. I think once you find the feel you find it is really natural feeling. I haven't done the stepping forward drill yet.

100% accurate, IMO.
I don’t pretend to know what works for other golfers, I only know what hasn’t worked for me. Maybe I’m freakishly slower or dumber than most, but I have to focus on training my lower body. I have to focus on developing better sequencing. Relying and focusing on the hands has not worked in 10+ years of trying to learn the golf swing. Dr. Kwon may or may not be able to help me, but at least he is helping many others and he’s shown the ability to modify his instruction to better suit individuals.

The world is full of poor instructors who believe there is only one way.

Your wasting your time and are wrong on so many points. Back to Kwon...
Well Sir - please tell me where I am wrong and what I need to correct ? You say that I am wrong , but you provide no evidence why i am !
I am sure others who are looking to learn would also benefit from knowing. I certainly don’t mind being proven wrong , but just saying I am leaves me wondering where I am wrong .

ignore button. For your sanity.

Agreed. Time to say bye bye.

@Lane , I wish you well in your crusade against windmills. I just hope the donkey you are riding can keep up with the pace. I will grant you this. You never disappointed. In fact you you exceeded my expectations. Granted I expected for you shower us in regurgitation of nonsense and a diatribe of cult-like declarations to an almost obsessive level. But you even surpassed that lowered bar. And that I can respect. You were all in on your piggy backing of someone else's flawed idea and that's what I respect about you: your commitment. So I leave you with this and say adeui. Ignore button pressed.

On to Dr Kwon talk!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back