Dr. Kwon youtube channel - before and after with 2 step drills.

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
Dr. Kwon has his own youtube channel. Saw this video (hour long) and thought I would post it. Kwon is working with a student.

He breaks down a 33 year old 13 handicap golfers swing.

This is good stuff , much more detailed than Shawn Clement instruction but still essentially aligned . At 13.27 he even mentions gravity which is something that SC advocates (he calls it 'the fall'). This is basically feeling the force of gravity on your arms/club unit first and then assisting/adding impetus like the timing of pushing a kid on a swing (no jerky pulling down movements).

It's all about creating a natural rhythmical swinging action.

Last edited:
I notice Dr. Kwon says you don't try to pull the club down with the arms. He says it is modern teaching, but is against the rhythmic motion and not good. I like the way this is simply natural once you get into it and looks extremely powerful with minimum effort.

The young man was a natural with Phase 1 step drill. It seemed that Brendon had a hard time getting that part right. Kwon's emphasis is on a balanced body driven swing.

Yes, I'm definitely going to give these step drills a try just to see if I can improve my lower body movement. Not sure whether I have the flexibility like Brendon and the 13 handicapper to help fling the arms back and forth without the use of my shoulder girdle muscles .

What I find interesting is how quickly the 13 handicapper picked this up and how Brendon seemed to struggle with each stage and especially the first stage. It was as if the 13 capper could quickly engage what Kwon was saying and put it right to work in his swing and within minutes Kwon was moving forward with him. His swing looked very fluid, had good power, and very nice speed. I really wanted to see him hit some balls at that point to see what the output was like.

Brendon has had a huge variety of instruction over the years which may keep way too many thoughts going in his mind while trying to learn something like this from Dr. Kwon. Even the young lady Kwon was working with seemed to have a decent hold on what Kwon was teaching. Something about Kwon's teaching I like and I think it is the natural rhythmic concept. I think combined with some other good coaches something of value can be attained.

I cannot begin to picture myself being able to get each phase of this within 10-20 swings and without Kwon to instruct how would you begin to know what you are doing wrong, so you don't learn a bad behavior? For instance, I think I am like the 13 capper in that I probably open my chest way too early during release and no doubt much more armsy swings as my body doesn't always want to cooperate. Kwon kept saying (I think it was stage 2 or 3) to Brendon and the 13 capper along the lines of, hit the person you hate out in front of you toward the target.

From what I have seen so far, it appears that Kwon is really on to something with the importance of rhythm that would be of great benefit and so much more natural, especially for an older guy like me. I am going to have to go back over these Kwon videos with much more intensity.

I really like Dr Kwon's stuff. I just went into the SIM area and started doing what he says in this video. I'm a high handicapper and my swing felt more natural and more powerful. I'm gonna try and this all winter and see if it helps my driver next season. The driver is the bane of my existence, at the moment.

I really like Dr Kwon's stuff. I just went into the SIM area and started doing what he says in this video. I'm a high handicapper and my swing felt more natural and more powerful. I'm gonna try and this all winter and see if it helps my driver next season. The driver is the bane of my existence, at the moment.
Please keep us updated on your progression. I plan on doing this a little today to see if I can get a feel of the movement.

Please keep us updated on your progression. I plan on doing this a little today to see if I can get a feel of the movement.
The worst part about video instruction is wondering if I'm doing it right or not. I could be wasting the next 3 months because I don't have Dr Kwon to tell me "turn this, move that, don't do this". The first thing I immediately realized is that my set up may be too far away from the ball. I have a ball mark on the mat and I can see my swing trails going inside of the mark but the swings feel natural. Which may explain why my driving results are trash.

I notice Dr. Kwon says you don't try to pull the club down with the arms. He says it is modern teaching, but is against the rhythmic motion and not good. I like the way this is simply natural once you get into it and looks extremely powerful with minimum effort.

The young man was a natural with Phase 1 step drill. It seemed that Brendon had a hard time getting that part right. Kwon's emphasis is on a balanced body driven swing.

I haven't watched this yet but I agree you don't pull with the arms. Pulling with the arms leads to over the top action. I will try to watch this when I get a chance but an hour of watching a lesson that isn't yours is a lot.

I am kind of a Brendon guy with too many different swings taught over the years. For the last 2 months, I've gone from body driven, to arms-driven, back to my instructor (who knows Kwon)-Kwon-driven. It's one heckuva ride.

It was not yet time to take it to the course, but the course is the best test of what work is needed. On the range before the round, some of the best swings in my life - lots of energy delivered.

On the course, a different matter - inconsistency. Definitely pushing the ball and could not get that look over my shoulder or I rushed without the needed rhythm. On some swings, was late on the lead foot.

Diagnosing the problem, too much right side bend as the arms began causing a path push, and was out of sequence on other swings.

I believe that I need to not wait on getting on the lead foot - like throwing a ball as soon as you go to the trail foot, you are going to the lead foot. Need to do the Kwon movement of lower body.

Need more time to ingrain the patterns.

This is how my natural golf swing feels without a ball. The problem is I hit all over the face of the club when swinging free like what is shown here.

I went down and practiced the step drill some and it would take me some time to do it. I am simply too out of sync when trying it, but the centering piece I can feel nicely.

This is how my natural golf swing feels without a ball. The problem is I hit all over the face of the club when swinging free like what is shown here.
Same. That's why I'm swinging over a ball mark on my mat. If I went to a golf course and tried this right now, it's the worst Easter Egg hunt imaginable.

Here is another one - well over an hour though. Dr. Kwon takes a guy name Bill Shea before and after with the step drills.

Here is another one - well over an hour though. Dr. Kwon takes a guy name Bill Shea before and after with the step drills.

I've been watching this one off and on for more than an hour ... the guy is a little tight. I was waiting for him to throw down the club and leave.:ROFLMAO::oops: But I'm only 16 min in.

I've been watching this one off and on for more than an hour ... the guy is a little tight. I was waiting for him to throw down the club and leave.:ROFLMAO::oops: But I'm only 16 min in.
A type A, older Irishman getting a "little tight" huh. I can't imagine it. ;)

The guy did appear super stiff. I know a guy that swings just about like him too. He just doesn't have a lot of separation.

Bill and Brendon struggled with the phase 1 step drill. I noticed Kwon moved him on to the other drills faster and did not stay on phase 1. He seemed to do so much better on the other drills, which made me think it may be worthwhile to skip through the first one and work on the second one to get the timing down.

Kwon told him that the importance of timing in the first drill was critical to the process, yet still moved him to the other drills. Once he did that it seemed to click more for the guy. I had a timing issue on Phase 1 when I tried it. It feels like you are countering the actual swing. Watching Kwon do it makes it look super easy. Kwon told him he had developed a bad swing for so many years it would be hard to fix it quickly :ROFLMAO:

After watching this I now think I will try the second phase instead of one if I still have problems with one. One thing is for sure, it is amazing the difference in the swings after a simple hour long session, but my guess is you would go back to your old ways quickly. I think the challenge is not having Kwon there to pick up on the small things that a person might do. Kwon is quick to notice and correct deficiencies in what someone is doing.

I'd like to edit out all and just see and hear Dr Kwon!

The guy did appear super stiff. I know a guy that swings just about like him too. He just doesn't have a lot of separation.

Bill and Brendon struggled with the phase 1 step drill. I noticed Kwon moved him on to the other drills faster and did not stay on phase 1. He seemed to do so much better on the other drills, which made me think it may be worthwhile to skip through the first one and work on the second one to get the timing down.

Kwon told him that the importance of timing in the first drill was critical to the process, yet still moved him to the other drills. Once he did that it seemed to click more for the guy. I had a timing issue on Phase 1 when I tried it. It feels like you are countering the actual swing. Watching Kwon do it makes it look super easy. Kwon told him he had developed a bad swing for so many years it would be hard to fix it quickly :ROFLMAO:

After watching this I now think I will try the second phase instead of one if I still have problems with one. One thing is for sure, it is amazing the difference in the swings after a simple hour long session, but my guess is you would go back to your old ways quickly. I think the challenge is not having Kwon there to pick up on the small things that a person might do. Kwon is quick to notice and correct deficiencies in what someone is doing.

Yes, I finished up the vid last night. I was surprised how quickly they picked up the new pattern. Bill is stiff - he needs a masseuse to loosen him up - has issues turning the hips in the backswing. But with Kwon there, his swing is very rhythmic. We saw him go through the swing with shift, up, turn, recenter, shift, turn up.

The "kick" was interesting - you kick before you turn in the downswing - which makes sense Need to look at that again..

I also liked the idea of the kettle bell - what keeps your shoulders back for an extended moment is pretending you are swinging with a kettlebell in your arms - you've got to wait a second with your shoulders to throw it - and that's where you have this tremendous connection with your lead oblique and arms as you throw and turn your pelvis.

He also said while it is a body driven swing, the wrists produce speed. But he doesn't talk about the wrists

I have no idea if this swing will reduce in more speed or not, or control over the ball. Our weather is going to go in the gutter for a few days or I'd be out at the range this morning.

Yes, I finished up the vid last night. I was surprised how quickly they picked up the new pattern. Bill is stiff - he needs a masseuse to loosen him up - has issues turning the hips in the backswing. But with Kwon there, his swing is very rhythmic. We saw him go through the swing with shift, up, turn, recenter, shift, turn up.
How quickly the students, even Bill the stiff guy, picked up the new pattern really impressed me. I simply cannot get it wrapped in my brain that it can be picked up in such a way. Kwon reaffirms with each student that it is natural once you find it and I think that is why they pick it up. Whether they can keep it is another question.

It also appears that each have greatly increased their swing speed. Maybe that was a perception issue on my end, yet it sure seemed they did. I think Kwon's "let it go" that he repeats at certain times during their swings seem to catch on with them. Once it clicks they just look as if it just works for them.

Did you also notice that once they get it, each of their swings are very similar in a natural way? When I look at Bill at the beginning, I thought he looked like an 18 hole round where wear him out. Once he was done, I thought that swing would be so much easier on his body.

How quickly the students, even Bill the stiff guy, picked up the new pattern really impressed me. I simply cannot get it wrapped in my brain that it can be picked up in such a way. Kwon reaffirms with each student that it is natural once you find it and I think that is why they pick it up. Whether they can keep it is another question.

It also appears that each have greatly increased their swing speed. Maybe that was a perception issue on my end, yet it sure seemed they did. I think Kwon's "let it go" that he repeats at certain times during their swings seem to catch on with them. Once it clicks they just look as if it just works for them.

Did you also notice that once they get it, each of their swings are very similar in a natural way? When I look at Bill at the beginning, I thought he looked like an 18 hole round where wear him out. Once he was done, I thought that swing would be so much easier on his body.

Yes, I did notice that ... now I need to put together my Livestream video I got last Christmas and haven't used.

I'm doing the Stack System - so it will be interesting to see if I have gains.

A common thread with his students is the need to generate more separation between the shoulders and hips at the top. The drills seem to do this with the required throw throw and throw along with the lower body moves.

I went down to my shop and hit some driver shots, but I also worked on Dr. Kwon's drills and after a bit I could definitely tell that it started to feel more and more natural and easier with every swing. Sort of like finding what I already had buried. I do plan to do more work with this, but I was tiring down some.

During 2021 I took a fair amount of practice swings and would often notice a good "feel" would occur after a bit. This is what Dr. Kwon's instruction seems to bring back for me. Kind of hard to describe, but I think you fellow golfers know the feeling. IMO this has a lot to do with keeping centered.

Yes, I did notice that ... now I need to put together my Livestream video I got last Christmas and haven't used.

I'm doing the Stack System - so it will be interesting to see if I have gains.
Given that you have been pushing yourself with the Stack System it will be interesting to see if you can get faster with applying Dr Kwon principles.

Given that you have been pushing yourself with the Stack System it will be interesting to see if you can get faster with applying Dr Kwon principles.

I am going to give it a couple of range sessions using what we know of Dr. Kwon's methods. But a couple of things tell me that I won't gain 5 mph right off the bat. :ROFLMAO: My instructor already uses some of Dr. Kwon's methods (or they look very similar) but the Doc explains it in more detail.

I did try using it today. Hit about 200 balls. Did some stage 3, 2, and Stage 1 swings. It took a while to incorporate everything. It took time to grow accustomed to using the obliques instead of swinging the arms and kicking the lead foot. I had a tendency to swing the arms - I think the arms/wrists come in somewhere in the Doc's swing but we haven't heard much. The re-centering was tough - if you did not do that, it was Fat City.

The numbers I saw were similar to what I've been doing with Stack. It will take a few sessions to learn to max out the obliques, etc. and build a new pattern. What I saw on the range with range balls looked like a much higher flight - more spin. The descent angle looked almost straight down in 8-PW. Irons felt more powerful. The driver was more of a mid-high line drive instead of a high flight. We will see. Weather doesn't look good the remainder of the weekend. Need to check the weather for next week.

Back