Dr. Kwon youtube channel - before and after with 2 step drills.

ALL effort should be made to PULL the heel and bottom of the club into and under the ** inside quadrant of the ball ** . The swing is performed on an inclined arc and the face is only looking at the intended target during that arc/circle for a inch or two before impact.
It is the turning / rotating torso ( inner circle ) that squares the face, not the hands!
This is why the golf swing is so difficult . It is totally opposite and incompatible to the human brain. It is a hard concept for the brain to grasp bc it is not in its subconscious. It is a learned conscious task . It becomes much easier to learn when you understand this.

the main thing, Ithink, is most golfer's(self included sometimes) target is the ball. The target should be in front of the ball.
Also, most try to hit the back of the ball. I get much more compression(hence ball speed) if I try to hit a little above the equator, depending on which club is chosen. Edit: not actually trying to "hit" above the equator, but that is what I look at as a "line of compression".View attachment 9076659
I would absolutely positively , ** respectfully **, disagree 100 % with this !

conservation of momentum; kinda. The body, during the golf swing is acting like a double pendulum.
wehn the club releases, either naturally or contrived, the other part of the pendulum will slow down.

You got one pendulum, the shoulders and arms that rotate and when the hands/club release, the hands act like a pivot joint and the inertia/centrifugal(I know, no such thing) exerts pressure via that pivot point into the upper pendulum.

Back in the 1600's, people discovered that a catapult( rock thrower) woud achieve more distance if it were mounted on wheels so it could move backwards a bit during the toss. same principle.

Yes , that makes sense with a passive release because energy is being transmitted from shoulders/arms to the club , the club speeds up while the arms/shoulders slow down . But when Dr Kwon talks about an active wrist torque I think its a different release mechanism . Here is my logic on what is happening but please correct me if I've made a mistake.

I understand that there are equal and opposite torques involved (ie. Newtons 3rd Law) so if I :

1. Actively ulnar deviate my left wrist with wrist torque (ie. anticlockwise rotation looking down at my wrist)
2. This will cause an equal and opposite reaction torque (clockwise rotation) exerted on my forearm below the elbow joint
3. Which would cause an equal and opposite reaction torque (anticlockwise rotation) on my humerus just below the shoulder joint.
4. Which would cause an equal and opposite reaction torque (clockwise rotation) on my scapula.
5. Which would cause an equal and opposite reaction torque (anticlockwise rotation) on my ribcage.
6. And if the golfer has a flexible spine , one would probably get an equal and opposite torque (clockwise rotation on the pelvis).

Phew!

But if the above is the case , an active left wrist torque from radial to ulnar will have an end effect where my ribcage would tend to accelerate anti-clockwise (not slow down) but it would tend to slow down the rotation of the pelvis.

Did Dr Kwon want Ben Crane to slow down just the lower body and not the ribcage?

Yes , that makes sense with a passive release because energy is being transmitted from shoulders/arms to the club , the club speeds up while the arms/shoulders slow down . But when Dr Kwon talks about an active wrist torque I think its a different release mechanism . Here is my logic on what is happening but please correct me if I've made a mistake.

I understand that there are equal and opposite torques involved (ie. Newtons 3rd Law) so if I :

1. Actively ulnar deviate my left wrist with wrist torque (ie. anticlockwise rotation looking down at my wrist)
2. This will cause an equal and opposite reaction torque (clockwise rotation) exerted on my forearm below the elbow joint
3. Which would cause an equal and opposite reaction torque (anticlockwise rotation) on my humerus just below the shoulder joint.
4. Which would cause an equal and opposite reaction torque (clockwise rotation) on my scapula.
5. Which would cause an equal and opposite reaction torque (anticlockwise rotation) on my ribcage.
6. And if the golfer has a flexible spine , one would probably get an equal and opposite torque (clockwise rotation on the pelvis).

Phew!

But if the above is the case , an active left wrist torque from radial to ulnar will have an end effect where my ribcage would tend to accelerate anti-clockwise (not slow down) but it would tend to slow down the rotation of the pelvis.

Did Dr Kwon want Ben Crane to slow down just the lower body and not the ribcage?
I'm not so brazen to "correct" anyone.:)
Ulnar deviation, interior rotation....all makes my head hurt. I haven't studied enough of that to speak the language.
About as far as I get is supination and pronation.

The body and the mind do crazy things sometimes and the inner workings of the human reactive/nervous system is a whole nother story.
My onliest guess about your "chain of reactions" goes to another physics postulate; a body in motion tends to stay in motion....or something like that.

My Thoughts and Practice on Dr. Kwon

I think Kwon has helped in having me focus more on the body driven part of the swing - using the pelvis with speed as I have a tendency to use the arms too soon.

Assisted me in getting to the front foot before I get to the top.

I think, in theory, the faster backswing does get you more speed - but does it improve your ball striking? My opinion is not if you're not ready for it.

As a result, I've used some of Kwon - my instructor noticed that my backswing wasn't high enough and was too much around me so I've done more vid and mirror work. I am not certain about Kwon as a golf instructor although in terms of the science of getting the body to swing faster, he is the guy.

My breakthrough came when I returned to my former golf tempo and more of my instructor's thoughts on the swing -- decreased the speed of the swing itself, began using Tour Tempo again to get the 3:1 ratio of backswing to downswing and found my individual tempo which is 27/9 in long game.

I also began sequencing using Pete Cowan's spiral staircase, which seemed more similar to the sequence that my instructor prefers. He and I discussed loading the shoulders going back and down and Cowan has something to say about that ... Had my best range session in a couple of years or best ever - was hitting the ball well and consistently.

Assisted me in getting to the front foot before I get to the top.

I think, in theory, the faster backswing does get you more speed - but does it improve your ball striking? My opinion is not if you're not ready for it.
Desmond, I hope you don't mind. A couple of these you listed I thought I'd highlight.

Most of the golfers I see don't get their weight to the front foot at any time during the downswing--much less before. So, I see this one as a real eye opener for a lot of golfers. The common faults are: a reverse pivot, swaying on the backswing, going from backswing to 100% at the start of the downswing thus losing getting stuck on the back foot. All of these would benefit from this focus on weight transfer.

When I read your second statement above I immediately thought of two things. Theory doesn't translate to reality when you have the faults in the prior paragraph. Second, I took my granddaughter Ellie out to the range yesterday. She too was getting stuck on the back foot and since she was focusing on turning around her body this caused her to spin out with the front foot sliding or completely off the ground. I pointed out the flying front foot and introduced the concept that we want the weight to transfer from the back foot to the front. She's a beginner, so she didn't notice this. But it was easily related to throwing a ball, or flinging a frisbee. Then I told her how we were going to correct that and told her to slow down her backswing to half speed and then smoothly accelerate on the downswing. Instant success.

Now later on I might let her speed up the backswing, possibly with introducing a pause at the top. The point is a fast backswing is a DETRIMENT if it causes you to lose your balance or get stuck on the back foot.

Desmond, I hope you don't mind. A couple of these you listed I thought I'd highlight.

Most of the golfers I see don't get their weight to the front foot at any time during the downswing--much less before. So, I see this one as a real eye opener for a lot of golfers. The common faults are: a reverse pivot, swaying on the backswing, going from backswing to 100% at the start of the downswing thus losing getting stuck on the back foot. All of these would benefit from this focus on weight transfer.

When I read your second statement above I immediately thought of two things. Theory doesn't translate to reality when you have the faults in the prior paragraph. Second, I took my granddaughter Ellie out to the range yesterday. She too was getting stuck on the back foot and since she was focusing on turning around her body this caused her to spin out with the front foot sliding or completely off the ground. I pointed out the flying front foot and introduced the concept that we want the weight to transfer from the back foot to the front. She's a beginner, so she didn't notice this. But it was easily related to throwing a ball, or flinging a frisbee. Then I told her how we were going to correct that and told her to slow down her backswing to half speed and then smoothly accelerate on the downswing. Instant success.

Now later on I might let her speed up the backswing, possibly with introducing a pause at the top. The point is a fast backswing is a DETRIMENT if it causes you to lose your balance or get stuck on the back foot.

Let's discuss! Thx for your post.

Yes, throwing any ball is a great example of what golfers should do during the backswing. Kwon's stage 1 and 2 helps with getting you to the front foot early. I attempt to feel that as the backswing gets halfway, I am making that move to the front foot - as if throwing a ball. Kwon helps you turn the pelvis so you almost fall onto the front foot fully as you reach the top.

And I can't say enough about Pete Cowen on YouTube - the spiral staircase works well with Kwon to get rid of the arms getting involved too soon.

Tour Tempo - I've had the app on my iPhone for several years and have experimented. But today I took it seriously. I started at 27/9 on full swing and was getting consistent good results. Then went to 24/8 and after about 12 swings, the results were not good. Went back to 27/9 and all was better - so that seems my full swing tempo. It does drive you nuts, but after listening to the tones for some time, you can say the tempo to yourself.

Last edited:
I'm also an advocate of the swing-set-through Tour Tempo and 27-9 works best for me as well. The point is that if you're too slow going back it will throw off your swing, mess up your sequencing, including getting your weight forward before impact.

Let's discuss! Thx for your post.

Yes, throwing any ball is a great example of what golfers should do during the backswing. Kwon's stage 1 and 2 helps with getting you to the front foot early. I attempt to feel that as the backswing gets halfway, I am making that move to the front foot - as if throwing a ball. Kwon helps you turn the pelvis so you almost fall onto the front foot fully as you reach the top.

And I can't say enough about Pete Cowen on YouTube - the spiral staircase works well with Kwon to get rid of the arms getting involved too soon.

Tour Tempo - I've had the app on my iPhone for several years and have experimented. But today I took it seriously. I started at 27/9 on full swing and was getting consistent good results. Then went to 24/8 and after about 12 swings, the results were not good. Went back to 27/9 and all was better - so that seems my full swing tempo. It does drive you nuts, but after listening to the tones for some time, you can say the tempo to yourself.
Good stuff Desmond. I wasn't familiar with Tour Tempo, but have always liked this concept of nailing and monitoring your tempo. When I looked it up on the Apple App Store and the closest match in name was "Tour Tempo Total Game" which goes for $24.99. Is that the app you were referring to? I suspect it was, but want to make sure.

Good stuff Desmond. I wasn't familiar with Tour Tempo, but have always liked this concept of nailing and monitoring your tempo. When I looked it up on the Apple App Store and the closest match in name was "Tour Tempo Total Game" which goes for $24.99. Is that the app you were referring to? I suspect it was, but want to make sure.

Just looked at my phone - that's what they are calling it now... Total Game

They have some instruction, which I've never reviewed. I only go for the tempo tones.

I have the Tour Tempo book and it comes with a DVD.

I started to recently count in my head when my tempo starts getting off and that has worked wonders for me. I noticed when my tempo gets off that is when my game gets way too erratic and that seems to cause my inconsistency on different days. Kwon had some of his golfers say a name in the swing with the trigger short, the backswing a bit longer, and then the swing through short. I simply go 1, 22222222222222, and then 33333 and I am good to go now. Hard to illustrate tempo in typed text, but hope you get the idea here.

The Kwon drills have really had a fantastic impact on my swing. There is one thing though that doesn't work all that great for me and that is the first phase of the step drills. I can do it easily, but it tends to make me want to slide if I am not careful. So I work more on the second and third phase (third phase more than anything) which works great for me. The kettle bell and rope are really good for keeping my swing path stable.

I’ve continued with Dr, Kwon’s drill for the last few months. I use the rope and the kettlebell almost every morning as a part of my workout. It now also includes yoga which makes the wife happy.
I’ve used Tour Tempu over the year. I have the app. I might see how that works with the step drills and my swing.
Driver swing is finally on track and I couldn’t be happier

I did about 15 minutes of kettle bell drills yesterday morning. I do the drills in motion in a hallway at my Y. Probably walked and swung for a 100 yards or so. Then rope swing.

I was wondering if people have had time to see any improvements in their golf swing doing Dr Kwon's drills?

I was discussing this video below on another forum where Dr Kwon theorised the reasoning behind a golfer's snap hook and then started him on his step drills. But they never showed the golfer striking a ball with the assumed better golf mechanics to demonstrate it cured the problem.

I then noticed a frame image below in the video when the golfer did a snap hook and it seemed obvious that he was striking the ball on the toe of the clubface, therefore gear effect could be the reason for the snap hook. I think there are many possible causes for a toe strike so was it really necessary to change the golfers swing mechanics rather than identify something that might have been simpler (ie. might be set up a little too far away from the ball)?

1655642629181.png

Back