Dr. Kwon youtube channel - before and after with 2 step drills.

A challenge I see with this is when playing an actual shot the golfer doesn't have the benefit of the first of the two throws in the drills. The before video is an actual shot and at the end it's compared to the new drill swing where a ball was not struck.

I am confused about what exactly Dr Kwon is teaching with this step drill. On one hand his recentering move of shifting the closed trunk towards the target in transition from backswing to downswing during the drill is a contradiction of his demonstration of the pivot action without a club. One is a stack and tilt pivot where the body weight shifts to the front foot with a closed hip/body bump, the other is the athletic pivot that is a feature in tour players' swings. In the athletic pivot the weight doesn't shift to the front foot until the forward hip thrust during impact or early into the follow through.
The players he was teaching the step drill all had trouble with it despite his guidance. Makes me wonder how anybody would learn the drill by themselves.

I went down to my shop and hit some driver shots, but I also worked on Dr. Kwon's drills and after a bit I could definitely tell that it started to feel more and more natural and easier with every swing. Sort of like finding what I already had buried. I do plan to do more work with this, but I was tiring down some.

During 2021 I took a fair amount of practice swings and would often notice a good "feel" would occur after a bit. This is what Dr. Kwon's instruction seems to bring back for me. Kind of hard to describe, but I think you fellow golfers know the feeling. IMO this has a lot to do with keeping centered.

I've been practicing with a wedge as my ceilings are only 8 ft. tall. That and it's -11° outside. Trying to get the easy swing "feel".

I don't think I get the same feels that I would get with the driver. But I do get a sense of the free flowing swing as I went through the step drills. Will it transform over to hitting the ball straight. Only time will tell.

I have an ACU strike mat that shows the direction of your strikes. After doing the step drill I set up to the mat to see what my strikes would look like. I'm generally a sweep type of hitter. So I'm pleasantly surprised that my strikes have moved past the ball rather than behind the ball as I usually do. As shown below.

My strikes moved forward when I concentrated on moving the upper body forward with the back facing the target as I was still swinging backwards. My strikes were also more square to target than I have been seeing on the mat. Another pleasant surprise :):love: I fight a pull hook when I 'm not swinging well.

I think a free flowing swing will help me. I've noticed over time that I have certain holes that I almost always drive the ball better than other holes. They just seem to fit my eye better. And I think I swing more freely on those holes compared to holes that I have narrow fairways or lateral hazards. So hopefully, I can swing more freely on those holes if these practice sessions carry over to the course20220101_115046.jpg

Last edited:
Certainly, Bill’s physical limitations and swing look more like myself and the many other 20-30 years older guys I play with.
I am very interested in trying this as I tend to have an “arms” swing. From what I have watched so far it looks like it helps. Just think it would be nice to have Dr. Kwon there to personally tweak your swing.

Last edited:
Certainly, Bill’s physical limitations and swing look more like myself and the many other 20-30 years older guys I play with.
I am very interested in trying this as I tend to have an “arms” swing. From what I have watched so far it looks like it helps. Just think it would be nice to have him there to personally tweak your swing.

Same here since I'm 66. You've got to have patience with this swing since it's continuous - there is no rush, just rhythmic.

Same here since I'm 66. You've got to have patience with this swing since it's continuous - there is no rush, just rhythmic.
I agree. There is one point in the video where he tells Bill to swing faster in the back swing. This resonated with me and I got more rhythmic myself. I've always been a slower, more controlled, get in the right positions, type of back swing player. Once I'm in the rhythm I tend to swing more freely. So the days I feel looser I strike the ball better.

I also like the idea taking 3 swings, doing the different steps before hitting the ball at practice and finding the one that works or feels the best at giving you best feel.

I agree. There is one point in the video where he tells Bill to swing faster in the back swing. This resonated with me and I got more rhythmic myself. I've always been a slower, more controlled, get in the right positions, type of back swing player. Once I'm in the rhythm I tend to swing more freely. So the days I feel looser I strike the ball better.

I also like the idea taking 3 swings, doing the different steps before hitting the ball at practice and finding the one that works or feels the best at giving you best feel.

The body-controlled backswing is a game changer - I was always worried about taking it back and it was a disaster. Now the hip movement takes care of it.

In the last vid, he talks about swinging at him - but in the vid, you can not see the Doc. I did notice that it was easy to draw with this swing. Might have been my grip. I felt a bit in to out and I want to be neutral in my path. But I don't step on Trackman for two more weeks.

Dr. Kwon rope swing video:

Kwon says speed comes from the lower body:

I view the Kwon rope video as being nothing more than teaching someone to throw the club face at the bal . To HIT and release . This is exactly opposite if what happens in a correct efficient golf swing. The correct powerful swing is not performed by using the hands and arms to propel the ball. They only CONTROL the body movements . Have you ever seen a great or good player finish hie swing with his shoulders facing his intended target - ? NO - and you won’t either , unless the player is performing some specialty shot.
Sorry - just incorrect and the exact same way that millions of poor players perform today . The Golf swing is *NOT NATURAL ! * it is
*TOTALLY UNNATURAL* AND A LEARNED CONSCIOUS TASK .
OK - preparing for you to tell me how wrong I am !

I wonder if Dr Kwon would approve of lifting the left heel to get a longer turn.

Lane's opinions vs Dr. Kwon's proven facts? Now there is a chasm never to be bridged. This thread is about Dr. Kwon's instruction and let's keep it that way. If you cannot contribute, or you oppose Dr. Kwon's teaching then start another thread.

I noticed something in the Dr. Kwon rope video where he stressed and that was using the rope to actually make the lower body move correctly which he demonstrated. In observation you see he really moves his knees and lower body. It wasn't about simply swinging the rope with the hands and arms, but getting the lower body to work correctly in the swing.

I know my lower body movement at times is a weakness in my golf swing. Sometimes I do it well and other times not so much. For some reason I want to start everything with my hands instead of body initiated like the better golfers and the pros do. In my case, I need to ingrain a good natural swing pattern. Yesterday while doing some centering drills I noticed that the swing can be so natural when everything moves in sync well.

Kind of an important point in all of this, IMO. While the drill has the student's head and upper body moving drastically left and right, when this student is making a swing (not the drill) his head is somewhat steady left and right. The student mentions it at about 8:15.

I tried this drill in my pre shot routine for about 8 holes. It worked really well to get me into my front leg. That has been one of the things I struggle with. I’ll typically get almost there, but I won’t have a vertical post. I tried to pick up the pace for my playing partners and got away from it. There was a pronounced difference in my scores. 8 shots. There was also a big difference in my percentage of ball first strikes with divots 2-4 inches beyond the ball. I may have taken the idea and applied it to a different problem, but it worked for me.

Dr. Kwon has his own youtube channel. Saw this video (hour long) and thought I would post it. Kwon is working with a student.

He breaks down a 33 year old 13 handicap golfers swing.

I like his statement at 28:39: "The shift motion is leading the turn motion."
This seems to square pretty well with what I've been trying to do based on some of Mike Malaska's lessons: push back & away from the ball/target line with rear hip on backswing, & that push back/away with lead hip on downswing

Part II of the rope swing...

Okay, I had a similar rope and whipped myself. Make sure you wear a hoodie or sweater so you don't whip yourself badly. It stings a little.

Okay, I had a similar rope and whipped myself. Make sure you wear a hoodie or sweater so you don't whip yourself badly. It stings a little.
That a the sin coming out.
#askajesuit

Just started watching the first post and it is interesting. This video by Danny Meade covers some of the same concepts:

I wish I had somewhere inside to swing a club this winter.

Kwon's been around for over a decade collecting data as has Clements. This was posted a few weeks ago on youtube. Happy the info is getting out.

Just started watching the first post and it is interesting. This video by Danny Meade covers some of the same concepts:

I wish I had somewhere inside to swing a club this winter.

There are definitely some similarities here. I think learning what is natural to us and building on that will save so much wasted energy. I know that I use energy in my swing that I simply don't need to. Often when my game goes south, I feel like I have to force something to happen, when in reality if I just swing with a normal fluid motion there is really nothing to force.

I know a really solid golfer that I admire. I was asking him the other day if he had one piece of advice to give from his years of golf what that would be. He basically told me swing within yourself. When most of us get outside of that nothing of benefit happens.

There are definitely some similarities here. I think learning what is natural to us and building on that will save so much wasted energy. I know that I use energy in my swing that I simply don't need to. Often when my game goes south, I feel like I have to force something to happen, when in reality if I just swing with a normal fluid motion there is really nothing to force.

I know a really solid golfer that I admire. I was asking him the other day if he had one piece of advice to give from his years of golf what that would be. He basically told me swing within yourself. When most of us get outside of that nothing of benefit happens.

But, but, it's all about speed!o_O Swing fast!

:ROFLMAO:

Guess ya' gotta have a rhythm for consistency and speed.

Back