TonyB

Reaction score
Handicap
This is what I spend most weekends doing from April to Sep. I race Top Dragster and some bigger bracket races. I work from home so most of my golf is played during the week after I get everything done for the day, usually by 10-11am.

cool we do that too
attachment.php

Attachments

• start 2016 tire.jpg
    start 2016 tire.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That's awesome! Are you running a big block chev in that??
We lost our drag strip probably 5 years ago so I haven't been to any racing in a long time. It was always fun going to Friday night drags to see what people drove every day or what they kept in their garage.

One of the coolest experiences I ever had was experiencing Fuel Altereds running all out on one wheel

Yes It is a 618 ci BBC with 1250 hp.

I do not race, but really cool pictures.

I grew up ,and still live ,in NASCAR country but I love to watch NHRA drag racing.

I've been a drag racer for 45 years. The latest ride, a 1965 VW Karmann Ghia (don't giggle yet). I've run at western US tracks since 2000. I recently retired from driving, and handed the car off to my son.
Here's the reason you shouldn't giggle....
Street legal in full trim, all steel, glass windows, steel bumpers. Best ET of 9.70 (Yes, quarter mile) at 142mph. The air cooled VW engine makes nearly 500hp, with mechanical injection, methanol fuel and turbocharging.
Bakersfield March Meet 2009 winner. The only VW to win any class at the March Meet ever.
Photo is from Irwindale in 2018. Also "Hot VWs magazine" cover car

Attachments

• WKRatIrwindale.jpg
    WKRatIrwindale.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 9
  • FB_IMG_1503757536615.jpg
    FB_IMG_1503757536615.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 9
This is the Bone Bucket fuel altered

sddefault.jpg

It has a 500 cubic inch top fuel hemi in it that burns nitromethane. Mitch is having a birthday party next month where its going to get fired up for the first time in 5 years. This thing has run in the 3.50s eighth mile. I drove this thing once and crossed it off my bucket list. I passed on going to the birthday party because of covid but I am going to go build the motor and get it fired up before the party.

I plan to take my '18 S5 and '07 GTI to the track and strip once they are ready. S5 will be making 450 whp/500 wtq and the GTI will be about 400 whp/400 wtq.

I have never seen top fuel dragsters in person though, seems pretty crazy!

I got the top end of the Hemi put together today and fired it up for the first time in five years. It had been too long since I have smelled some nitro. This is a 500 cubic inch top fuel motor that is detuned but still makes 6000 horsepower.

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

I got the top end of the Hemi put together today and fired it up for the first time in five years. It had been too long since I have smelled some nitro. This is a 500 cubic inch top fuel motor that is detuned but still makes 6000 horsepower.

Got the "Safe Tune" in it! Love it man!

Got the "Safe Tune" in it! Love it man!
Nothing is safe when your burning 98% nitromethane haha. This is a motor we ran 3.80 with in an NHRA top fuel 1000 foot pass. We put a smaller blower and fuel pump on it in this configuration and its easier on parts.

I reckon "Safe" is relative!

Years ago, when NHRA was trying to come up with a solution to the insane speeds TF and FC were going, Dale Armstrong suggested single mag and a spec fuel pump. Much like nostalgia fuel racers have. They elected to go 1000 feet instead. And now, they are nudging up to the 1/4 speeds of a few years back. Seems all they have accomplished is lengthening the shut down distance.
I'd imagine those arguments can rage forever! But an any rate, it matters very little to me anymore what NHRA does. We just do our local stuff any more. The association is so far removed from the Wally Parks era, that he would not recognize what it has become. They lost me when the CEO (Compton I think?) was quoted....."The racers are an asset to be monetized."

Been enjoying the hell out of bracket racing again. Just a stock car on a radial, but scary consistent.
20210330_220155.jpg

Nothing is safe when your burning 98% nitromethane haha. This is a motor we ran 3.80 with in an NHRA top fuel 1000 foot pass. We put a smaller blower and fuel pump on it in this configuration and its easier on parts.

That is wild! I know little about Top Fuel, but read an article recently that was describing that with the fuel rate and compression of charge involved, the cylinder on those things is basically packed just shy of hydrolock with fuel every cycle. Article said plugs wires were running 40+ amps a piece, arc welder territory.

20230321_174013.jpg

Back