Dream Foursome Diary

Looking forward to following along with this. No doubt it will be an awesome experience and will fun to see how the "diary" unfolds as the days get closer.

The Sunday afternoon tee boxes are where y’all should play the Bear Trap. We did that in the Graphite Challenge and it was a blast. We had a good stiff breeze out of the NE that made pulling a club a perilous choice. But, if you pulled off a good shot, it felt pretty special. When the Honda comes on in February, you’ll be watching to see who hit shots not as good as your shot.

The Sunday afternoon tee boxes are where y’all should play the Bear Trap. We did that in the Graphite Challenge and it was a blast. We had a good stiff breeze out of the NE that made pulling a club a perilous choice. But, if you pulled off a good shot, it felt pretty special. When the Honda comes on in February, you’ll be watching to see who hit shots not as good as your shot.

We’ll have to see. But, it’s an interesting thought for the reasons you stated.

Ah I can’t wait to add a bit to this, but I’m on vacation in Riviera Maya so I’ll have to add a bit here when I get back to the states.

Played PGA Riviera Maya here this week off whites at 6000 and it was the hardest course I’ve ever played. They say a slope of 121 and I say no way in hell lol. If you weren’t in the fairway, good chance you were dead in the jungle or water. The rough was super thick too. I feel like it was good prep for the bear trap.

Enjoy your vacation. Looking forward to you joining in on the diary.

I don’t know what a Sunday afternoon tee box is?

Gross. That does not sound fun at all to me haha.
When JB announced it, I was sort of thinking along with you. But, it was a shamble so the pressure to hit a really good shot was lessened. By the time we got to 15, we were all fired up for it. Afterward, we were really glad we did it.

Last edited:
I played Torrey Pines this year just before it closed for the U.S. Open. I couldn’t have even played the Sunday boxes. Some of the forced carries required club speed I just don’t have. And the rough? Whoa Nellie.

I'm currently around an 11. Putting and wedge game from 50-100 yards really holding me back. Been working on it as much as I can.

I can and can’t putt this season. I’m great on one putt par putts but absolutely horrible on most birdie attempts.

I can and can’t putt this season. I’m great on one putt par putts but absolutely horrible on most birdie attempts.
My struggles occur on the first few holes. I have difficulty adjusting to the speed, and breaks. I don't play the same courses too much, always travel around, so I wish I would adjust quicker. By the end of the round I'm usually pretty good, so if I can just chip in the first 3-4 holes that would be ideal :ROFLMAO:

Really looking forward to this!!! I will also need extra balls for the Bear Trap but based on photos I think I will need extra for the entire course!! I recently purchased a Caddy Daddy for my last travels and would recommend it!

I am excited to meet you and the rest of the gang in Florida! It is going to be a great time and let the birdies roll!

Really looking forward to this!!! I will also need extra balls for the Bear Trap but based on photos I think I will need extra for the entire course!! I recently purchased a Caddy Daddy for my last travels and would recommend it!

I am excited to meet you and the rest of the gang in Florida! It is going to be a great time and let the birdies roll!

Did a little reading up on the course. Holes 15-17, the Bear Trap, are not the hardest holes statistically on the course for the Tour players. Holes 6, 10, 11 and 14 are the holes that are statistically harder than 15-17. Looks like an easy back 9. 😂

Thanks for the travel bag recommendation.

We will have a great time and a lifetime of memories regardless of how we play. But, I will give it my best effort

Did a little reading up on the course. Holes 15-17, the Bear Trap, are not the hardest holes statistically on the course for the Tour players. Holes 6, 10, 11 and 14 are the holes that are statistically harder than 15-17. Looks like an easy back 9. 😂

Thanks for the travel bag recommendation.

We will have a great time and a lifetime of memories regardless of how we play. But, I will give it my best effort

Sounds like we might need some liquid courage at the turn!

Thanks for the travel bag recommendation. Looking forward to making some memories with you in November.

Keenan and Finley are going to be a ton of fun to play with. Can’t wait to follow!

It’s going to be awesome to play with them. I can’t believe this ordinary mid-handicap golfer is going to play with such important people in the golf business. And I’m going to enjoy every moment.

Well from what I can tell I'll most definitely be the high handicapper of the group at around 21 and by a pretty good margin. I've spoken of my golf history a bit in other posts, but this will be the end of my 3rd season, so I'm relatively new to the sport. I had bounced between a couple instructors towards the beginning of this season, and landed on a 3rd one that was really able to just get me to understand how to swing a club. I started back in March around a 35 handicap probably, I danced around the 110-120 mark. Since that instructor was able to make it click, I've dropped down to 21, and mostly hovering around the mid 90's.

As mentioned above I played PGA Riviera Maya this past week on a big family vacation and really enjoyed it. Not sure if I'm using the diary correctly here @Bernoulli, but this course was incredibly tough with a decent chunk of water, and felt like good prep for PGA National. It was really challenging because the rough was incredibly thick, and if you went even slightly beyond that you were in literal jungle with no chance of finding your ball. It kind of fits the Bear Trap I think?

I tried to play as smart as I could knowing that and I think I hit my first driver around hole 8. Couple pictures below and some holes that I was proud of.

I shot a 96 the first day and a disappointing 99 the 2nd day I played it. Was well on my way to breaking my 96 and then it was horrible downpour for the last 4 and I could barely hang on to my club, so I'm using that as a pretty valid excuse.

1630197052865.png
1630197443573.png
Just a great par 5 here with water completely up the right side and jungle on the left. The green was elevated a snidge, so that LW was out of thick rough up onto an elevated pin and I put it within 2' which is really rare for me with my LW.

1630197147995.png
1630197411401.png
This is another par 5 I par'd but the overhead view of this hole just doesn't do it justice. The narrow part of the fairway right near my AW is kind of a valley where there were these 20' rock walls that you had to funnel through. You can kind of see it above, but that AW was completely blind and really was a result of one of the best 5i's I've ever had. I way overplayed my 5i, and so I ended up needing decent height to get up and over the top, so it was a great shot.

1630197616148.png
Hole #6 and truly awesome. The green was protected by a big sink hole filled with water known as a Cenote. You can see the flag tucked back there. This is me and my mom in the picture. And just a couple other pictures below.

1630197654989.png
1630197944622.png
1630197974225.png

Last edited:
Well from what I can tell I'll most definitely be the high handicapper of the group at around 21 and by a pretty good margin. I've spoken of my golf history a bit in other posts, but this will be the end of my 3rd season, so I'm relatively new to the sport. I had bounced between a couple instructors towards the beginning of this season, and landed on a 3rd one that was really able to just get me to understand how to swing a club. I started back in March around a 35 handicap probably, I danced around the 110-120 mark. Since that instructor was able to make it click, I've dropped down to 21, and mostly hovering around the mid 90's.

As mentioned above I played PGA Riviera Maya this past week on a big family vacation and really enjoyed it. Not sure if I'm using the diary correctly here @Bernoulli, but this course was incredibly tough with a decent chunk of water, and felt like good prep for PGA National. It was really challenging because the rough was incredibly thick, and if you went even slightly beyond that you were in literal jungle with no chance of finding your ball. It kind of fits the Bear Trap I think?

I tried to play as smart as I could knowing that and I think I hit my first driver around hole 8. Couple pictures below and some holes that I was proud of.

I shot a 96 the first day and a disappointing 99 the 2nd day I played it. Was well on my way to breaking my 96 and then it was horrible downpour for the last 4 and I could barely hang on to my club, so I'm using that as a pretty valid excuse.

View attachment 9024833
View attachment 9024838
Just a great par 5 here with water completely up the right side and jungle on the left. The green was elevated a snidge, so that LW was out of thick rough up onto an elevated pin and I put it within 2' which is really rare for me with my LW.

View attachment 9024835
View attachment 9024837
This is another par 5 I par'd but the overhead view of this hole just doesn't do it justice. The narrow part of the fairway right near my AW is kind of a valley where there were these 20' rock walls that you had to funnel through. You can kind of see it above, but that AW was completely blind and really was a result of one of the best 5i's I've ever had. I way overplayed my 5i, and so I ended up needing decent height to get up and over the top, so it was a great shot.

View attachment 9024840
Hole #6 and truly awesome. The green was protected by a big sink hole filled with water known as a Cenote. You can see the flag tucked back there. This is me and my mom in the picture. And just a couple other pictures below.
View attachment 9024841
View attachment 9024842
View attachment 9024843
View attachment 9024844

Congrats on the improvement this year. I hope you enjoyed your vacation and your golf. I started this thread to talk about preparing for the experience. Feel free to add whatever you want. Your post here is a perfect fit.

View attachment 9024833
View attachment 9024838

View attachment 9024835
View attachment 9024837

View attachment 9024840

View attachment 9024842
View attachment 9024843
View attachment 9024844

course looks amazing. Hope you had a great trip.

This will be here before we know it.

Now about my golf game. Played today. Hadn’t played in 3 weeks. Shot 83 (40-43). Played 6300 yards with a slope of 130. It was my best 18 hole round this year at my club. I had 8 pars and only 1 double.

I played a new ball today, the Q Star Tour Divide. Before today I had only used it on the putting green. And I used a new putter, the Ping DS 72. I had been gaming a face balanced mallet but recently went back to an old Ping Anser. The DS 72 is a plumber’s neck mid mallet. The result today was 29 putts. Speed and distance control was very good.

Back