Dream Foursome Diary

Yea, I'm totally messing with you. I can definitely see how the ball would be awesome for alignment.

Two things I have been doing have been settling on my bag make up and my choice of ball for the remainder of the season.

I have made a recent putter change. I had been using a face balanced mallet but was not putting well with it.

I went back to my Ping Anser and my putting improved. Recently, I put the Ping DS 72 in my bag. It’s a plumber’s neck mid mallet - like a mid mal I have used it now for two rounds and it has performed well for me. I think having some toe hang is just what I needed.

The only remaining bag battle is between a 7W and a 4h. I have played both this year with some success. However, I’m leaning towards the 7W as I am just more confident with a fairway wood over a hybrid.

So, that leaves the ball. As someone who plays several different brands of balls during a season, settling on one is very difficult. I’m not a long hitter and I’m always looking for more distance. (My 150 yard club is a 6 iron). But, I really like a ball with ample greenside spin. So I tend to prefer a urethane ball.

I had played the B RXS previously. That was a good ball and I have a dozen remaining. And after reading the reviews here on the E12 Contact, I got a dozen of those. Haven’t played with them yet. And they’re not urethane. However, they may give me more distance off my irons.

Two things I have been doing have been settling on my bag make up and my choice of ball for the remainder of the season.

I have made a recent putter change. I had been using a face balanced mallet but was not putting well with it.

I went back to my Ping Anser and my putting improved. Recently, I put the Ping DS 72 in my bag. It’s a plumber’s neck mid mallet - like a mid mal I have used it now for two rounds and it has performed well for me. I think having some toe hang is just what I needed.

The only remaining bag battle is between a 7W and a 4h. I have played both this year with some success. However, I’m leaning towards the 7W as I am just more confident with a fairway wood over a hybrid.

So, that leaves the ball. As someone who plays several different brands of balls during a season, settling on one is very difficult. I’m not a long hitter and I’m always looking for more distance. (My 150 yard club is a 6 iron). But, I really like a ball with ample greenside spin. So I tend to prefer a urethane ball.

I had played the B RXS previously. That was a good ball and I have a dozen remaining. And after reading the reviews here on the E12 Contact, I got a dozen of those. Haven’t played with them yet. And they’re not urethane. However, they may give me more distance off my irons.
I play 2018 Pro V1x's from lostballs. I don't think you can beat the value.

Snuck out at 3:30 sharp yesterday, teed off at 3:54, and finished 18 in the dark. Felt great to get out. I got an email that I made it into my club championship this weekend. I cannot wait to start playing more. Road to PGA starts here! Let's go!!!

Played Friday and yesterday in a member guest with my brother at his club. I was a member there previously from 1988 - 2008. We finished 2nd in our flight of 6 teams.

I didn’t hit the ball well either day. I had a serious power outage as I was driving the ball about 40 yards less than I did when I played last Sunday. I was driving the ball high and short and even when I thought I hit a good one, it wasn’t going anywhere. I’m thinking that I was plagued by being too steep. I was shorter than usual with my other clubs too.

Fortunately, I brought my putter with me. I putted very well both days. The Ping DS 72 will be staying in the bag!

I played Friday, and I have no idea how to even describe the round. I had probably 5 of the best holes (4 pars and a birdie) I've ever played in a round of golf. 3 of the 4 pars were very makeable birdies where I hit the green in regulation maybe 10-15' from the pin.

Unfortunately, everything else felt like a colossal nightmare. My mental game was at it's absolute worst. I had high expectations headed in and par'd the first hole with an up and down, but then hole #2 I shot a +4 with a horrifically duffed tee shot and then shanked a 5 wood left that I had to take a drop, and I could just never reel back mentally. Even when I went birdie, par, par on holes 7, 8, 9 I just couldn't quite seem to overcome it. I've got to figure it out that's all I know.

Ended up with a pretty bad 101, that was littered with penalties. +10 in penalties, I could not keep the ball on the golf course. :(

I played Friday, and I have no idea how to even describe the round. I had probably 5 of the best holes (4 pars and a birdie) I've ever played in a round of golf. 3 of the 4 pars were very makeable birdies where I hit the green in regulation maybe 10-15' from the pin.

Unfortunately, everything else felt like a colossal nightmare. My mental game was at it's absolute worst. I had high expectations headed in and par'd the first hole with an up and down, but then hole #2 I shot a +4 with a horrifically duffed tee shot and then shanked a 5 wood left that I had to take a drop, and I could just never reel back mentally. Even when I went birdie, par, par on holes 7, 8, 9 I just couldn't quite seem to overcome it. I've got to figure it out that's all I know.

Ended up with a pretty bad 101, that was littered with penalties. +10 in penalties, I could not keep the ball on the golf course. :(
You'll get there! A lot of this game is forgetting the bad shot, and just moving on. We all have shots that could derail a score throughout a round, it's just how you bounce back. Just take what you learned from that 5 hole stretch, keep it simple, and always have fun! I get frustrated like the rest of us on a bad hole, unlucky shot, but don't let it get in the way!

Once you have completed a hole, there is nothing you can do about that hole. Approach the next hole as if it is your first without thinking about any prior holes or shots.

Played in one of my Men's Club Championships this weekend. 78-71. Wasnt happy either day with how I hit the ball. Keep losing it high right, but Sunday felt mentally a lot better about. Just hit it and play it. Won some skins, which was a nice bonus.

Frustrated that the 71 made my handicap fall by 0.5, but the 78 did not factor in. I still don't understand the new handicapping system. Note that this course is par 70 and pretty short, typical muni, spray it and play it (and hope someone doesn't pick up your ball after you spray it), so I don't feel like this handicap would travel well.

Hoping to hit the range more to straighten out my ball!

Played in one of my Men's Club Championships this weekend. 78-71. Wasnt happy either day with how I hit the ball. Keep losing it high right, but Sunday felt mentally a lot better about. Just hit it and play it. Won some skins, which was a nice bonus.

Frustrated that the 71 made my handicap fall by 0.5, but the 78 did not factor in. I still don't understand the new handicapping system. Note that this course is par 70 and pretty short, typical muni, spray it and play it (and hope someone doesn't pick up your ball after you spray it), so I don't feel like this handicap would travel well.

Hoping to hit the range more to straighten out my ball!

That 71 was a nice round.

Coming out of quarantine, so I have a round planned for this Friday. Excited to get out for the first time in a few weeks.

Last evening I was able to get some short game practice in. My oldest, 5 y.o., walked around the backyard with me as I hit from tree to tree. He even took a couple swings. It's a part of my game I hope to continue to sharpen, as it is usually a strong suit. I also hope that by getting better with my short game, I'll leave myself with shorter putts, because putting is my weakness currently.

Coming out of quarantine, so I have a round planned for this Friday. Excited to get out for the first time in a few weeks.

Last evening I was able to get some short game practice in. My oldest, 5 y.o., walked around the backyard with me as I hit from tree to tree. He even took a couple swings. It's a part of my game I hope to continue to sharpen, as it is usually a strong suit. I also hope that by getting better with my short game, I'll leave myself with shorter putts, because putting is my weakness currently.

So happy to hear that you're getting ready to get back out on the course. That short game practice with your oldest sounds like a good time.

What do you think is behind the putting weakness?

So happy to hear that you're getting ready to get back out on the course. That short game practice with your oldest sounds like a good time.

What do you think is behind the putting weakness?
Part reading greens, and part poor lag putting. Both of those lead to mental issues, where I have little to no confidence in the putt I'm about to hit.

Also, a few rounds ago on the first 4 holes, I had all 3 putts. Settled down after that and did well, but need to avoid the early 3 putts. I always get to the course early and always roll a few before the round, but it's just not translating now. Hoping to put in some putting practice on my putting mat, and also at the local course's practice green.

Part reading greens, and part poor lag putting. Both of those lead to mental issues, where I have little to no confidence in the putt I'm about to hit.

Also, a few rounds ago on the first 4 holes, I had all 3 putts. Settled down after that and did well, but need to avoid the early 3 putts. I always get to the course early and always roll a few before the round, but it's just not translating now. Hoping to put in some putting practice on my putting mat, and also at the local course's practice green.

Putting is the one thing that I actually enjoy practicing. Hope you see some positive results.

Today's entry:

I still can't believe that I was selected to be part of this Experience. Every day I just reflect on how fortunate I am to be on THP.

Thanks to a suggestion from my foursome member @gkeller813, I spent some time this week in True Temper School. I watched a handful of videos from Keenan Phillips. Very informative and I now have several questions regarding shafts and True Temper. I also followed closely the thread from @JB on Callaway Golf Balls. As an aside, I do like the Truvis and have played the ball previously.

I'm going to play on Sunday. Because of work and time of the year, I am limited to weekends only for play. I'm hoping my swing is better than last weekend and I'm hoping that my putter remains hot. Despite hitting the ball poorly and seriously lacking distance, I was still able to score because of putting and a good short game. I know I'm OTT and too steep and that is something that I will try to address,

I'm also going to begin working on my game so that I am the best I can be in November. I'm going to work on increasing flexibility and addressing my OTT move.

Got out for 18 holes, and a quick 9 holes at a par 3 course. Shot 46/43 89, but a 4 over on one hole really did me in. Overall putting was good, 32 putts. Been around 40 lately so a definite improvement. Short game was really good. Approach was hit and miss. Unfortunately what has been a strength, driver, left me. I did make an adjustment that worked, but that was in holes 17 and 18 :rolleyes:. But, I actually feel ok, because my change is repeatable and allows me to come less over the top.

Par 3 course, hit 7 of 9 greens. Struck my irons and wedges very well. Greens were just aerated so putting was hit or miss, and very bumpy.

Overall a good day especially after a few weeks off.

Got out for 18 holes, and a quick 9 holes at a par 3 course. Shot 46/43 89, but a 4 over on one hole really did me in. Overall putting was good, 32 putts. Been around 40 lately so a definite improvement. Short game was really good. Approach was hit and miss. Unfortunately what has been a strength, driver, left me. I did make an adjustment that worked, but that was in holes 17 and 18 :rolleyes:. But, I actually feel ok, because my change is repeatable and allows me to come less over the top.

Par 3 course, hit 7 of 9 greens. Struck my irons and wedges very well. Greens were just aerated so putting was hit or miss, and very bumpy.

Overall a good day especially after a few weeks off.

Nice playing off the layoff.

Finished today’s round. Hit the ball better than last weekend. Still lacking distance off the tee. Swing was a little better but I know I’m still too steep. Putting and short game were good and saved the round.

Last edited:
Current index is 11.5. Going to start working on my game as my swing has been off the last couple weeks. Fortunately, orunfortunately for my index, I have been putting. Made 3 par putts of more than 10 feet yesterday.

Current index is 11.5. Going to start working on my game as my swing has been off the last couple weeks. Fortunately, orunfortunately for my index, I have been putting. Made 3 par putts of more than 10 feet yesterday.
You think you're putting has improved due to the putter change, or from a change in approach?

You think you're putting has improved due to the putter change, or from a change in approach?

My putting noticeably improved when I switched from the face balanced Elevado back to my Ping Redwood Anser. Since I put the DS 72 in the bag (it's basically a mid mallet Anser to me), my putting has gotten even better. My index is where it is because of putting and to a lesser extent short game.

I think that my aim or my ability to start the ball on the intended line has improved with the switch back to the Anser and then to the DS 72. I struggled with the Elevado. I'm assuming that having a little toe hang is what I need with my stroke.

My putting noticeably improved when I switched from the face balanced Elevado back to my Ping Redwood Anser. Since I put the DS 72 in the bag (it's basically a mid mallet Anser to me), my putting has gotten even better. My index is where it is because of putting and to a lesser extent short game.

I think that my aim or my ability to start the ball on the intended line has improved with the switch back to the Anser and then to the DS 72. I struggled with the Elevado. I'm assuming that having a little toe hang is what I need with my stroke.
Always good when a club change pays off.

Always good when a club change pays off.

Although I'm not sure how my putting will be on TifEagle Bermuda greens. Putting on bent and poa annua, I can do. Haven't played Bermuda greens in 16 years.

Although I'm not sure how my putting will be on TifEagle Bermuda greens. Putting on bent and poa annua, I can do. Haven't played Bermuda greens in 16 years.
Better than me, never played on Bermuda before. Here's to hoping the turf fits my putting :ROFLMAO:

Back