Dream golf trip June 11-14

Great trip!!! Are you playing the public or private side of Pumpkin Ridge? Both are great and different in so many ways.
Have a bite to eat at on of the Mcminamins restaurants while in Portland. Great micro brews and food.
Bandon Dunes is going to be a treat, I'm mean like nothing you have ever experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are playing the public side. Thanks for the food and beer tip. Anyone who knows me knows I love BOTH food and beer! LOL

We will be staying in Portland on Monday night (June 13), and were planning on playing the home course in Lacey WA on Tuesday. What course do you work at? We may be able to swing it if it is early Tuesday morning...

I have played with Steve before, we had a great time and I am looking forward to it.

I work at Heron Lakes in Portland. We have 36 holes and both 18s are completely different. I will check my schedule for next Tuesday, and see if we can work it out. I would love that! Let me know if your plans change, or if you have solidified other plans.

www.heronlakesgolf.com

Last edited:
I work at Heron Lakes in Portland. We have 36 holes and both 18s are completely different. I will check my schedule for next Tuesday, and see if we can work it out. I would love that! Let me know if your plans change, or if you have solidified other plans.

www.heronlakesgolf.com

I have heard of Heron. Very nice. We have left Tuesday open as we will be driving back from Bandon late Monday and will have just played 5 rounds of golf in 3 days. None of us are sure how we are going to be feeling physically. We have never played 5 rounds in 3 days and walked all of them. Our plan was to stop in Portland for the night and either play early in Portland so we can take off for Seattle by midday, or leave Portland early and get to Lacey or Tacoma and play mid morning and only have an hour left to drive after golf. Or if we are dead tired (HAHA) not play... which is very unlikely.

Well, I don't work until 2 on Tuesday, so I would be available to play if you guys would like to. If not, no worries. How many people are there? I can always make the reservation for us and cancel if it doesn't work out. Just let me know, I am open, but completely understand if you guys are beat from such a wonderful weekend. We could alway meet for breakfast or lunch if you guys don't want to golf, it would be fun meeting some fellow THPers!

Well, I don't work until 2 on Tuesday, so I would be available to play if you guys would like to. If not, no worries. How many people are there? I can always make the reservation for us and cancel if it doesn't work out. Just let me know, I am open, but completely understand if you guys are beat from such a wonderful weekend. We could alway meet for breakfast or lunch if you guys don't want to golf, it would be fun meeting some fellow THPers!

We have 3 coming from Seattle. We are meeting Dr Teeth in Portland for the Saturday round, then the 3 of us continue on to Bandon for Sunday and Monday. There would only be 3 for Tuesday. If we were to play in Portland, it would need to be around 8:30ish. How much are greens fees at Heron?

I would love to go on a trip like this...have fun!! I'd just have to talk the wife into letting me go and spend more $$$ on golf.

We have 3 coming from Seattle. We are meeting Dr Teeth in Portland for the Saturday round, then the 3 of us continue on to Bandon for Sunday and Monday. There would only be 3 for Tuesday. If we were to play in Portland, it would need to be around 8:30ish. How much are greens fees at Heron?

We have two courses. Both are reasonable for what they are IMO.

Greenback - More "traditional" style golf course with plenty of trees and not as many hazards. $26 (walking)

Great Blue - More of a "links" style golf course with plenty of hazards. Still some trees and such but closer to a links style. According to the website, the "course's fairways ramble between Scottish-style mounds and pose a collection of excellent risk/reward riddles for all four sets of tees." $27 (walking)

Both are great courses. Personally, I like the Great Blue a little more than the Greenback. It is definitely more challenging than the Greenback, but it is a lot of fun. The Great Blue was ranked 4 stars by Golf Digest in their "Best Places to Play" in 2008/2009 (again, from our website).

8:30ish is completely fine. Like I said, it is completely up to you guys and would understand if you don't want to play after playing 5 rounds in 3 days. If you want, I can go ahead and make the tee time and we can play it by ear over the weekend and Monday. We can always cancel if it doesn't work out, no big deal. Let me know.

Greenback - More "traditional" style golf course with plenty of trees and not as many hazards. $26 (walking)

Great Blue - More of a "links" style golf course with plenty of hazards. Still some trees and such but closer to a links style. According to the website, the "course's fairways ramble between Scottish-style mounds and pose a collection of excellent risk/reward riddles for all four sets of tees." $27 (walking)

Both are great courses. Personally, I like the Great Blue a little more than the Greenback. It is definitely more challenging than the Greenback, but it is a lot of fun. The Great Blue was ranked 4 stars by Golf Digest in their "Best Places to Play" in 2008/2009 (again, from our website).

8:30ish is completely fine. Like I said, it is completely up to you guys and would understand if you don't want to play after playing 5 rounds in 3 days. If you want, I can go ahead and make the tee time and we can play it by ear over the weekend and Monday. We can always cancel if it doesn't work out, no big deal. Let me know.

Sounds good. I will stay in touch over the week. I need to talk to the other guys, but if you want to make a tee time preliminarily I am all for it.

I have heard good things about Heron Lakes. I have heard that the Great Blue course is one of the tougher courses in Portland. Great Blue and The Reserve are two Portland courses that are on the top of my list of places to play. I was thinking about playing a second round on Saturday and it would most likely be one of those two. Jeff we will have to do a Portland get together soon.

I would go for Great Blue at Heron. The Greenback is pretty wet and soggy in the winter and with all the rain we have been having, (including now in Juneuary), I bet it is still a bit soggy. Great Blue is a better course all around IMO.

I have heard good things about Heron Lakes. I have heard that the Great Blue course is one of the tougher courses in Portland. Great Blue and The Reserve are two Portland courses that are on the top of my list of places to play. I was thinking about playing a second round on Saturday and it would most likely be one of those two. Jeff we will have to do a Portland get together soon.

For sure. I will be home from college this Friday, and would love to get together with some fellow THPers sometime soon. You will enjoy the Great Blue if you end up playing there, and I have heard nothing but good things about The Reserve.

I would go for Great Blue at Heron. The Greenback is pretty wet and soggy in the winter and with all the rain we have been having, (including now in Juneuary), I bet it is still a bit soggy. Great Blue is a better course all around IMO.

Good point, and I agree that the Great Blue is a better course all around. I have been away at college so I am not sure about conditions.

Sounds good. I will stay in touch over the week. I need to talk to the other guys, but if you want to make a tee time preliminarily I am all for it.

Ok, awesome. I will make a preliminary tee time and we will go from there.

Man the weather forecast for this weekend could not be better!

Enjoy it.
I played all of the 4 Bandon Courses last year. There are a ton of pics.

Off topic, I would love to meet the people that rate these courses.

Golfweek has a pretty in depth selection process that I would have to believe trumps any other publication. I can post their raters hand guide if you wish when I get home. Basically, not just anyone can call themselves a rater without some knowledge of architecture or the willingness to learn about it.

To the OP, nice trip! I can't wait to get to Bandon as playing it on Tiger '07 doesn't compare!

Man the weather forecast for this weekend could not be better!

Yeah it looks great. 70 and partly sunny on Saturday. Pumpkin is going to be beautiful Teeth!

Plus Sunday at Bandon is supposed to be the best day of the week! Great timing!

You guys are going to have a blast! We sure did.

Make sure you bring your sand game, there are about a million bunkers. As I have mentioned before, I was lucky enough to play all four courses at the end of April. On Pacific Dunes, I hit just over a green and found myself in the deepest bunker I have ever seen. I had to take stairs to get down into it (yes, stairs!) and the surface of the green was about 15-20 feet above my ball! I probably hit one of the best/luckiest sand shots of my life, and was about 12 ft from the hole.

Also, check the firmness of the greens. When we were there, if you carried the ball to the green, it had practically no chance of holding. Had to play a bunch of punch shots, bump and runs, etc.

Play smart and you will be rewarded on the courses at Bandon. Playing agressive can get you in lots of trouble there.

Enjoy your trip and soak it all in! Don't forget to go to the Bunker Bar. Great bartenders and usually great atmosphere.

Plus Sunday at Bandon is supposed to be the best day of the week! Great timing!

NICE!!! I am looking at accuweather right now! Looks like Monday is good as well!

Have a great trip Tomahawk! I have never played on the west coast, so post lots of pics.

Have a great trip Tomahawk! I have never played on the west coast, so post lots of pics.

Thanks, and we will post lots of pics Yorkem. I'm sure Dr Teeth is bringing his camera to Pumpkin, so both of us will have some pics from there, and I can't wait to photograph Bandon. Weather looks good, so pics should be great!

Ok, awesome. I will make a preliminary tee time and we will go from there.

Jeff, My playing partners and I are looking to play a bit closer to home than Portland on Tuesday. They really want to play The Home Course so I guess we are out for Heron. Thanks for the great offer and if you are available, drive 90 minutes North and play THC with us?

Car is loaded, here we go. Portland here we come.

See you tomorrow and drive safe!

Back