Dream golf trip June 11-14

tomahawk18

Waiting for some sun!?
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.6
Myself and two of my buddies are taking a little golf trip to Oregon next week. We will also be meeting up with Dr Teeth for a round. On June 11th we play Pumpkin Ridge (with Dr Teeth), June 12th we play Bandon Dunes and Old Macdonald, June 13th we play Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails. June 14th is The Home Course. These are 5 of the top 50 public courses (3 of the top 10) in the country and all 6 are in the top 100. The weather looks good right now and I will take lots of pictures, as well as give a review of all the courses. :mohawk:

Enjoy it.
I played all of the 4 Bandon Courses last year. There are a ton of pics.

Off topic, I would love to meet the people that rate these courses.

We had the same debate about those ratings a few days ago and can't wait to see for ourselves. The ratings referenced were from Golf Magazine. Here is a link. I take it you weren't too impressed?

http://courses.golf.com/top-courses-and-resorts/top-100-courses-you-can-play-2010.html

Oh no, I thought they were incredible golf courses. I just always wonder where the ratings come from. Its clear to me that the people doing it have a certain course type they like. Have I played ones I preferred more? Absolutely. Heck I have in hte last year. But it was an awesome trip and great golf. If you use a caddy, ask for David. Tell him you are a friend of mine from THP. He will remember me from the TaylorMade/adidas Where in the World trip.

Sounds incredible TH! Have fun man!

Oh no, I thought they were incredible golf courses. I just always wonder where the ratings come from. Its clear to me that the people doing it have a certain course type they like. Have I played ones I preferred more? Absolutely. Heck I have in hte last year. But it was an awesome trip and great golf. If you use a caddy, ask for David. Tell him you are a friend of mine from THP. He will remember me from the TaylorMade/adidas Where in the World trip.
I don't know David but if you can take a caddie or caddy (isn't that a big car?) do so. They help a lot and are usually a lot of fun.

Sounds incredible TH! Have fun man!

Thanks SS!

That was part of our argument too. Lots of links style courses in the top 20. I wonder what the criteria are, or if it a reader feedback type of thing? It has to be hard to rate thousands of courses. Thanks for the caddy tip. We are debating a caddy...

I can't wait to get tee it up with you again! I love Pumpkin Ridge and love Bandon even more. I wish I could swing the Bandon trip. I am going to be so jealous when you guys are down there. For me the Bandon courses I played (Bandon Dunes and Old MacDonald) are easily in my top 5. You guys are in for a treat!

I can't wait to get tee it up with you again! I love Pumpkin Ridge and love Bandon even more. I wish I could swing the Bandon trip. I am going to be so jealous when you guys are down there. For me the Bandon courses I played (Bandon Dunes and Old MacDonald) are easily in my top 5. You guys are in for a treat!

Yeah Teeth, wish you could make Bandon! But at least we will be teeing it up at the Ridge!

Enjoy your trip Mohawk, it sounds awesome. Dr. Teeth is good people.

Enjoy your trip Mohawk, it sounds awesome. Dr. Teeth is good people.

He is a good dude. This isn't the first time we have teed it up.

Sounds like a fantastic trip!

And I agree whole heartedly...Dr. Teeth is a great guy !

wow, have fun and take lots of pics....

Awesome trip! Good luck out there, I'd love to play those courses someday. Dr teeth is a very good golfer and a great dude to swing around the course with. We tackled the champ course together and had a great round.

Sounds like a blast toma, and I love it when I get to tee it up with fellow THPers. Enjoy and take lots of pics.

We had the same debate about those ratings a few days ago and can't wait to see for ourselves. The ratings referenced were from Golf Magazine. Here is a link. I take it you weren't too impressed?

http://courses.golf.com/top-courses-and-resorts/top-100-courses-you-can-play-2010.html

I have used those lists to choose courses as I travel. I find the courses on Golf Digest 100 Public Courses http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-05/100-greatest-public-golf-courses?currentPage=1 more to my liking than the Golf Magazine list. There are subtle differences. I have only played about 25 courses on both lists and some of those overlap. All the courses I have played on those lists have been very good and I know how I would rate the ones I played but JB raises a good question how do they put those lists together.

Last edited:
Sounds fun . Have a Great Time

I have used those lists to choose courses as I travel. I find the courses on Golf Digest 100 Public Courses http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/2011-05/100-greatest-public-golf-courses?currentPage=1 more to my liking than the Golf Magazine list. There are subtle differences. I have only played about 25 courses on both lists and some of those overlap. All the courses I have played on those lists have been very good and I know how I would rate the ones I played but JB raises a good question how do they put those lists together.

The lists are fairly similar, so there is at least some consistency. I also wonder how they compile these things.

I played all four courses at Bandon at the end of April. It is an amazing place and the courses are incredible. You are going to have a blast!

Are you coming back through Portland on your way back to Bothell, or are you flying? I will be home from college next Friday and work at a golf course in Portland. I would love to get together with some fellow THPers if we can figure out a day/time that works.

Sweet trip! You will enjoy Dr. Teeth. Good people.

I played all four courses at Bandon at the end of April. It is an amazing place and the courses are incredible. You are going to have a blast!

Are you coming back through Portland on your way back to Bothell, or are you flying? I will be home from college next Friday and work at a golf course in Portland. I would love to get together with some fellow THPers if we can figure out a day/time that works.

We will be staying in Portland on Monday night (June 13), and were planning on playing the home course in Lacey WA on Tuesday. What course do you work at? We may be able to swing it if it is early Tuesday morning...

Sweet trip! You will enjoy Dr. Teeth. Good people.

I have played with Steve before, we had a great time and I am looking forward to it.

Great trip!!! Are you playing the public or private side of Pumpkin Ridge? Both are great and different in so many ways.
Have a bite to eat at on of the Mcminamins restaurants while in Portland. Great micro brews and food.
Bandon Dunes is going to be a treat, I'm mean like nothing you have ever experienced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great trip you have planned, I wish I could join you. Have fun!!!!

tough trip to beat quality wise, enjoy!

Back