Franklin51

On the Verge
Reaction score
Handicap
Been wearing Johnston and Murphy for years. Got a relative trying to get me to switch to ECCO. Wondered if any of you guys have tried both.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I personally haven't tried the dress shoes, but one of my good friends and golf buddies swears by his Ecco dress shoes as well as casual and golf shoes. He won't wear anything else.

I was 100% Johnston and Murphy for the last 15-20 years up until this year. Unfortunately I've had some serious quality issues with them constantly ripping at the stitches or the stitching coming un done. I loved my Ski Mocs and would have them re-soled 4-5 times - basically until there was nothing left to attach the sole to.

I LOVE my Ecco Biom Hybrid II golf shoes, so I imagine that the dress shoes are very comfortable. Personally, I don't like the dress shoes because they aren't designed to be resoled and I'm the type that wants to wear a dress shoe years!

I have J&M and Ecco dress shoes. Both companies make good products. Ecco probably has a slight lead with comfort.

I actually switched to Toms for all of my dress/casual shoes, super comfortable.

Haven't had those issues. I think I tend to wear them till they are gone. I wear the same brown pair 3 days a week atleast.
I was 100% Johnston and Murphy for the last 15-20 years up until this year. Unfortunately I've had some serious quality issues with them constantly ripping at the stitches or the stitching coming un done. I loved my Ski Mocs and would have them re-soled 4-5 times - basically until there was nothing left to attach the sole to.

I LOVE my Ecco Biom Hybrid II golf shoes, so I imagine that the dress shoes are very comfortable. Personally, I don't like the dress shoes because they aren't designed to be resoled and I'm the type that wants to wear a dress shoe years!

I wear dress shoes 5 days a week. I have several pairs of J&M and Ecco dress shoes. I found that J&M makes a good shoe, but they became uncomfortable after wearing them all day. I really like the Eccos I have, and they are much more comfortable than the J&Ms. However, I tend to buy a lot of my shoes online and I have found that because of the European sizing and the small variations from style to style, the sizing can be a bit inconsistent. But overall I would choose an Ecco shoe over a J&M shoe.

That said, the shoes I am currently wearing are a rotation of several pairs of Cole Haan zerogrands. If you can get past the non-traditional soles they are very comfortable and overall a decent quality shoe. One of my pairs took a bit of time to break in the arch, but another pair of the same shoe but in a different color was fine out of the box.

I haven't worn either, but I wear a pair of Clarks to work that are scuffed and beat up because I don't care if they get stained and they're still so comfortable.

Been wearing Johnston and Murphy for years. Got a relative trying to get me to switch to ECCO. Wondered if any of you guys have tried both.

Have you tried Salvatore Ferragamo's? They last forever.

I swear by Ferragamo. Once you break them in they'll last forever. I think I've had one pair re-soled, and that was only because I wanted something a little different.

I have a few pairs of J&M, and have owned one pair of Ecco. I'll never buy Ecco again. I found them to have a very short life span.

You Ferragamo guys are paying $700 for shoes?

Never paid that much. There is a place in Arizona called Nordstrom’s last chance...$100 loafers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That said, the shoes I am currently wearing are a rotation of several pairs of Cole Haan zerogrands. If you can get past the non-traditional soles they are very comfortable and overall a decent quality shoe. One of my pairs took a bit of time to break in the arch, but another pair of the same shoe but in a different color was fine out of the box.

I ordered a pair of the CH zerogrande wingtips the other day. This thread sent me to the ECCO site. I like the look of the ECCO Jared better and will probably return the CHs, depending on fit and comfort.

Never paid that much. There is a place in Arizona called Nordstrom’s last chance...$100 loafers

I've bought many a pair of shoes at last chance. They up them all to $100 it just the Ferragamos?

I've bought many a pair of shoes at last chance. They up them all to $100 it just the Ferragamos?

Just the designer brands are that much. So Ferragamos, Gucci, etc.

If J & M works, why switch?

My need for dress shoes has diminished, though, I did pick up a pair of gray suede Ecco Wing Tip golf shoes on close out, which, could sort of pass for dress shoes.

When I was wearing business/dress casual J&M was my go to. Since then just wear casual most of the time even for dress unless it a formal dress. Casual shoes are, Trask, Frye, Pikolinos, and Cole Haan.

I have to admit, I just bought a pair of genuine shell cordovan shoes that cost north of $700. They are the most comfortable, most beautiful loafer I've ever worn and I intend to keep them a lifetime.

I have to admit, I just bought a pair of genuine shell cordovan shoes that cost north of $700. They are the most comfortable, most beautiful loafer I've ever worn and I intend to keep them a lifetime.

What brand? I just got a pair of shell Aldens that I love.

99% of the time though I'm wearing Allen Edmonds because of the quality and they make 3E width for my brick feet :D

Haven't had those issues. I think I tend to wear them till they are gone. I wear the same brown pair 3 days a week atleast.

This is a pair that had just 5 months of wear on them. Coincidentally, it replaced another pair that did the same thing. The leather is actually ripping through the seam. I normally get 4+ years out of these shoes. I am currently wearing a black pair of the same shoe that is actually going on 6 years.
DXPLVgMXkAAYF_6.jpg

Here is the 6+ year old black pair I have on - same shoe, same size, same SKU except for the color. I started having quality issues about 2 years ago.
IMG_7289.JPG

99% of the time though I'm wearing Allen Edmonds because of the quality and they make 3E width for my brick feet :D

Aldens sold at Brooks Brothers. I like unlined penny loafers so I went with the Brooks Brothers version of the shoe I liked since it's unlined.

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/Cordo...dwvar_034H_Color=BLCK&contentpos=14&cgid=0522

I'm probably going to buy the black version too as they are so comfy.

Here is the 6+ year old black pair I have on - same shoe, same size, same SKU except for the color. I started having quality issues about 2 years ago.
View attachment 32767

Well, after 6+ years, they could certainly use a shine! :act-up:

Well, after 6+ years, they could certainly use a shine! :act-up:

I was actually walking around our construction site home today and made them a mess. They will be shined before my board meeting tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also need the 3E width. I do not wear dress shoes often so I have one pair of Allen Edmonds Dark Chili shoes. I have had them for 3 years and worn them probably 70 times. I polish them every now and again and they look brand new. Great pair of shoes and I expect they will meet my needs for years unless I get a job that requires more formal dress.

I like Johnston & Murphy. I know some complain about their quality, and I do think it's dipped...but...if you have 4 pair of dress shoes and rotate them around you can generally make any shoe last quite a while...take care of them with shoe trees and keep 'em clean.

I have a pair of Cole Haan dress shoes that I love...wear them one or two times per week to work and they look great with suits.

Back