I have a pair of Black Leather Bostonian's from Macy's with the leather sole so if needed it can be replaced. They only cost me about 60 dollars and have lasted through daily use for about a year now. The rubber on the bottom of the heels has shown some abuse but other than that they have not shown any issues with quality. Comfort wise they are great for a desk job. If I were to be on my feet all day though I would prefer something with a little more padding throughout.

Well, after 6+ years, they could certainly use a shine! :act-up:

Better?
c92f39d3ec46ad869419c2251d07fa4e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I was wearing business/dress casual J&M was my go to. Since then just wear casual most of the time even for dress unless it a formal dress. Casual shoes are, Trask, Frye, Pikolinos, and Cole Haan.

I still have a few pair of Cole Haan, J&M and Allen Edmonds dress shoes from my "main" office life that I use for the rare the dress up days I have now (with some zerograndes coming). For my satellite office, it's Cole Hann driving mocs, Johnston & Murphy McAfees or Stan Smiths.

I've never tried Johnston & Murphy and I love my ECCO Biom golf shoes. With that being said, my dress shoe brand of choice is Allen Edmonds. My suit and tie days are, thankfully, fairly infrequent. However, when I do I'm on my feet constantly 4 to 6 hours at a time and my feet are fine at the end of the day. That's the beauty of a hand lasted shoe with a cork footbed.

Over the last year or so AE has added some styles/colors to appeal to the "less traditional" buyer. I can't speak to those newer styles except to say that if they are recraftable than they should be fine. Yes, you will probably pay more initially for AE. However, you are buying a real leather pair of shoes that were handcrafted in the USA. Other than Alden, no other company can say that.

picked up a black pair and brown pair of allen edmonds salerno penny loafers today. not the most aesthetically pleasing shoe i’ve ever seen, but they were very comfortable and should last a lot longer than the zellis i’ve been wearing for the past 10 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've been wearing Toms for my dress shoes, super comfortable!

When I wore a suit, J&M, etc. were good to go. But when we got bought out and the dress code changed to jeans except for travel, that changed. Went to Bass loafers for airport use and everyday. I still have two pair of wingtips for weddings, etc. Have to be 15 years old, but still in perfect shape. Ecco is my preferred golf shoe, I have 4 pairs, but the two older ones will be tossed soon.

I wear Samuel Hubbard's which are more business casual. They fit great and are extremely comfortable....

I'm in Florence today and stumbled into Mannina shoes. It I make it back here I will definitely be picking up a pair, if not from there from somewhere similar. They were beautiful shoes, much better fit and finish than my Allen Edmonds. They are fully bespoke, and are pretty reasonable in price. It was towards the end of the day,and I didn't have time to research and make it happen. But it seems like a hell of a deal, and the reviews are mostly stellar.

I'm retired, and don't have much need for dress shoes anymore. However I kept one pair of black leather Florsheim plain toe oxfords from my "working" days. I think the original cost was about $50 - 20 years ago. They still fit great, look great, and are VERY comfortable. One quick pass with black polish, a quick brushing, and they look good as new. I have a few other pair of more casual leather shoes, brown and black, for different occasions.

Allen Edmonds are amazing dress shoes. Along with Florsheim and ferragamo.

Rockports are also quality shoes for the price.

From my working days 3 pair J&M. Comfortable, last, and classic style.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I wear Samuel Hubbard's which are more business casual. They fit great and are extremely comfortable....

+1 on the Sam Hubbards. Super comfortable.

Have enjoyed Allen Edmonds for a long time - still have a couple of pair from the early 1980's. American made although they started importing Italian made for 10+ years.

Ecco Biom Hybrid 3 are my choice now for golf shoes - have the white/blue BOA and black/blue lace Shoes.

Tennis Shoes, causual shoes - I like SeaVees online and wait for a sale

Have a selection of smart boots, suede shoes and full on shiny smart shoes from Clarks over here in the UK. Their sizing is a bit wierd but works

I’ve tried a few different shoes, but always come back to Cole Haan. They cost a little bit more, but last a long time if taken care of properly.

Another brand to checkout is Thursday Boots (they also do some shoes), I have a pair of chukkas from them as well as a nice cap toe oxford that I have been happy with. I find them to be good bang for your buck.

For quality, and for those who appreciate in Made in USA products, Alden brand is as good as it gets.
The company website is www.aldenshoe.com , and only a few retailers sell this relatively low production quantity volume brand.

For quality, and for those who appreciate in Made in USA products, Alden brand is as good as it gets.
The company website is www.aldenshoe.com , and only a few retailers sell this relatively low production quantity volume brand.

Aldens are great quality but IMO are not very different but quite a bit more expensive than Allen Edmonds. Aldens and AE both buy their leather from Horween Leather in Chicago which might explain some of their similarities.

Any opinions on Gucci vs Ferragamo? I have a pair of the Gucci Jordaan loafers. Love them. I love the classic look of the Gucci shoes but noticed Ferragamo is not that much different in style. Anybody know if there is a difference in build quality? I’m assuming at that price point both are using quality materials.

Ordered a pair of To Boot NY lace ups to add to the rotation. They look good and seem to be good quality. I’ll report back after I wear them some.

I was always a cheap-as-possible guy with dress shoes because I rarely have the need to wear them, but with getting married this past year, I decided to actually look into getting a quality pair and kept coming back to Allen Edmonds. Didn't think I'd be able to get a pair for a price I could live with, but then stumbled upon a couldn't-say-no deal on a pair of leather soled dark brown Park Avenue (cap toe oxford) and went for it. SO glad I did. I always thought of dress shoes as uncomfortable, feet cutting nightmares, but it turns out that's only because I was using crappy shoes. Went all day in those Park Ave's during my wedding and barely even thought about my feet. Guess there's something to that cork footbed business!

Anyways, longer story, but I was so sold on their shoes after that that during their holiday sale I came across a good deal on walnut Dainite sole McAllisters (wingtip brogues) and jumped on it. They'll be used for business casual and nights out mostly, where the Park Ave's will be reserved for the slightly more formal occasions. I actually find myself trying to find reasons to wear dress shoes now - never thought I'd say that!

Aldens are great quality but IMO are not very different but quite a bit more expensive than Allen Edmonds. Aldens and AE both buy their leather from Horween Leather in Chicago which might explain some of their similarities.

Have you owned pairs of Alden shoes and, or boots?

a bit unconventional but I wear a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile Heritage boots as my dress shoes. Horween leather and goodyear welt construction. I Like the way they can dress up a pair of jeans and still look good with a suit. Admittedly I dont have many occasions to wear a suit since I work in a shop/production environment. Otherwise, I would likely invest in a pair of Allen Edmonds Indy boots.

Back