Drills for putts 6 foot and in?

cpljohnst

Go Jackets! Go Sun Devils
Reaction score
Handicap
16.0 GHIN
Hi Freddie, You've seen my game quite a bit so you know where my struggles lie. My ball striking seems to be on the upswing the last month but my putting is still really hurting me. Yesterday had six 3-putts. Also missed several makeable up & down opportunities inside 6 feet.
It's time to put in some serious practice work to turn this around. I'm easily losing 4 to 7 strokes a round recently just from putting.

Today before my round I put in about 30 minutes of putting practice before the round. Took 8 balls and placed them in a 5 foot circle around the hole. Did this over and over.

I'd like to put in 30 minutes to an hour of practice at least 3 times a week until my club championship on August 4/5th.

Do you have some other drills to offer so I'll have some variation?

And any mental tips you can offer? Today on the first 3 holes I made solid putts inside the 6foot range. I missed a 4 foot putt on the fourth hole and downhill it went from there. Once I miss a short putt, I tend to focus on that miss for the rest of the round. You saw that in person at the RR when I putted decently until missing that short putt on our 14th hole.

Barry, your distance control on the greens seems to be the biggest issue. You also have a tendency to push your putts which comes from deceleration.

I like to place a tee on the opposite side of the hole about 18" or so. My goal is to make putts but if I miss I want to miss at least 18" beyond the hole. Find your line and putt to the tee. Let the hole get in the way of the path of the ball.

Mentally, once the hole over you can't play it again during that round. Dwelling on it will only take your mind off the rest of the round. Start trying to get that dropped stroke back on the next hole. You're driver and iron play is way too strong for you to be losing shots on the greens.

I like to place a tee on the opposite side of the hole about 18" or so. My goal is to make putts but if I miss I want to miss at least 18" beyond the hole. Find your line and putt to the tee. Let the hole get in the way of the path of the ball.

drill seems so easy, but it's really hard from over 15'. great drill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Panda. I love the simplicity of the drill. Going to be using this. I'll post some feedback after a few times at it.

Freddie, I've been doing the drill on the putting green. Also decided to start tracking two new putting stats:

1st putt on green past or in hole
Solid stroke (not tentative, decelerating or a push or pull)

1st round today keeping up with these and I had 17 of 18 1st putts past the hole or in. 14 1st putts were solid strokes too. Will keep up with these stats for the next few rounds and see if keeping these two stats on mind on my first putts helps me putt better. Had 6 one-putts today, and 3 three-putts for a total of 33 putts. Hit 7 GIR.

Freddie, I've been doing the drill on the putting green. Also decided to start tracking two new putting stats:

1st putt on green past or in hole
Solid stroke (not tentative, decelerating or a push or pull)

1st round today keeping up with these and I had 17 of 18 1st putts past the hole or in. 14 1st putts were solid strokes too. Will keep up with these stats for the next few rounds and see if keeping these two stats on mind on my first putts helps me putt better. Had 6 one-putts today, and 3 three-putts for a total of 33 putts. Hit 7 GIR.

Love it, keep at it and match your speed with the break to eliminate those 3 wiggles

Back