Drills or Tips to Stop Topping and "drop-kicking"

h0ss66

Reaction score
I've been playing only for a short time and it seems that my main issue is topping the ball. No matter how hard I try to "hit down to the ball" I still top, top, top. When to make better contact, my divot is behind the ball. With my driver, the "drop-kicking" effect is even more pronouced. I've been working on shortening my take back and trying to keep my lower body as quiet as possible on my backswing, but are there any specific tips/drills to help me with my topping issue?

Also, its been mentioned that I am using my hands/arms way too much in the swing. Any tips/advice for loosening up my grip and the tension in my arms?

I guess these are issues all beginners go through...:beat-up:

Bumping this up to the top for an answer from the pro. Thanks!

I know I am not the pro here and should wait but I was watching the golf fix on the golf channel one night and he showed how you can work on this. When working with your irons, put a tee laying down on the ground an inch in front of the ball and try and hit the ball and the tee. This should force you to stay down.

I'm going to leave this to a pro because there's a lot of things that could be causing you to top the ball. Get a video of your swing so he can help you out more.

Thanks guys. I think I've started to figure it out. I have been trying that tee trick and it helps. I've also been trying to aim in front of the ball rather than AT the ball. Also, I saw an article in an old golf digest about the "chicken-wing" on the follow through. That's my main issue and it comes from not bringing my hips through enough. Interestingly, the article says that in order to lead with the hips at the end, you have to work on rotating the hips at the beginning of the backswing. THAT has helped me tremendously. It also helps for me to rotate my head during the backswing rather than keep it statically straight down at the ball, which otherwise stymies my ability to bring my hips through first. I'm working on it!

I know I am not the pro here and should wait but I was watching the golf fix on the golf channel one night and he showed how you can work on this. When working with your irons, put a tee laying down on the ground an inch in front of the ball and try and hit the ball and the tee. This should force you to stay down.

Again, please leave these threads clean until Andy has a chance to respond. Thanks.

Back