Drills to lengthen putter stroke back swing.

mtbloco

Grandaddy X!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve been told by two very knowledgeable people that I need to start working on lengthening my putter stroke backswing. How does one go about that?

I hope to avoid looking at my back swing to ensure it’s far enough as that would be a disaster.

I have a Blast Motion. So plan to use it to monitor progress/ work. Anyone got good drills for this?

I’ve been told by two very knowledgeable people that I need to start working on lengthening my putter stroke backswing. How does one go about that?

I hope to avoid looking at my back swing to ensure it’s far enough as that would be a disaster.

I have a Blast Motion. So plan to use it to monitor progress/ work. Anyone got good drills for this?
I’ll go with what helped me. I had to develop a routine to get set up to the ball. Nothing crazy or long but something to do every time. Then it was all about my stance and being shoulder width apart as my “neutral position”

From there it was a stroke of “toe to toe” and I control distance with pace. In rare situations where it’s a long putt or going across the green it’s more length but the basic is to get a good set up to start.

I’ll go with what helped me. I had to develop a routine to get set up to the ball. Nothing crazy or long but something to do every time. Then it was all about my stance and being shoulder width apart as my “neutral position”

From there it was a stroke of “toe to toe” and I control distance with pace. In rare situations where it’s a long putt or going across the green it’s more length but the basic is to get a good set up to start.
Toe to toe. I’ll try that. I’m do focus on the area around the ball. 6” back 6” through. Finding new markers to extend that window, I can envision a path to that.

The goal…reduce my acceleration rate through the ball.

Toe to toe. I’ll try that. I’m do focus on the area around the ball. 6” back 6” through. Finding new markers to extend that window, I can envision a path to that.

The goal…reduce my acceleration rate through the ball.
The hardest thing for me was finding the right “rhythm” in my stroke. I have a quasi “pop stroke” and it gets me in trouble sometimes

The hardest thing for me was finding the right “rhythm” in my stroke. I have a quasi “pop stroke” and it gets me in trouble sometimes
My pop isn’t quasi.

1702602995244.jpeg

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

The lie angle of the shaft causes the putter head to move on two arcs - a horizontal arc and a vertical arc during the back stroke and during the forward stroke when the putting stroke is 'on plane'. To lengthen the stroke there needs to be a feeling of the putter head lifting without moving inside.
'On plane' has the shaft moving backwards and forwards against an imaginary fixed rail.

I move the ball closer to my lead foot and practice taking the putter back 1/2 way to back foot, then 3/4, then all the way. Tends to lengthen the stroke and hits various ranges

Back