Driver Adjustability?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Not speaking to shaft adapters to adjust loft or face angle. My question is about movable weights or sliding weights.

Do you use them? Do you find them effective?

I have tried a few side to side weight adjustments and have never really found them to change my ball flight. At least not enough for me to notice. But, the front to back adjustability, I have definitely seen a difference in launch, spin, and feel. I prefer that to side to side.

They're effective, but once I find a setting that seemingly works, I don't move mine. One less variable to worry about. It is nice to have though if I noticed a pattern of misses or something I wasn't happy with, but that hasn't happened in months.

Just picked up a Ping 425Max..
Hitting it so well I'm afraid to mess with it.
Set at neutral.
Years ago I used to have a long slice but lessons cured it..

I have found front to back more effective. The side to side movement in my mind is helpful depending on where you miss it on the face and in terms of feel. It seems to me that if you miss on the toe and put the weight out in the toe it produces a more solid feel. Same with the heel. But as far as flight correction. I have not noticed much.

For me, Ping G410 plus and Epic Flash weight move did correct a fade into less of a fade.

Have them set and haven't moved them. Not sure if I did I'd even notice. Epic Flash current driver.

It’s amazing how many drivers with movable weights I’ve had and left them in the neutral position not wanting to ‘mess with things’ 🤣

Set smack dab in the middle on my Epic Flash since day one.

I used to use the sliding weight on my old F6+ driver. Messed with it on occasion, but usually found a setting that worked and stuck with it.

Until it didn't work... :ROFLMAO:

I have drivers that have them, but don't move them after the initial fit. I honestly should look into this instead of constantly making micro adjustments in my swing.

I actually really don't like the adjustments. Call it a mental illness haha. I adjusted my drivers hoszel settings once, but refuse to acknowledge anything else ha. Again, mental.

yup, will adjust them from time to time.

I've used them when the driver was new, found what works best for me, then left them alone.

I'm not sure I have ever owned a sliding weight driver. Not opposed it it, just never had one land in the bag.

Oh yeah. Give me toe weighting on a slider.

Front to back weighting doesn’t seem to make enough of a difference in launch and spin to be a necessity.

Heel to Toe can definitely help with rate of closure and I think it should be standard at this point.

I use them on my SIM and G425 LST and they definitely work on those heads, on the range before a round I'll adjust it to straighten out the miss.

When I tried drivers with adjustable weights I preferred the side to side.

Used them a little the farthest front, back, or side on a head with actual weights seems to work pretty well don’t think the sliding as much due to the weight of the tracks. That said be interested to see with all the carbon being added to both top and bottom of the heads to reduce weight and ad elsewhere

The weights do seem to work in my own testing. Front to back movement seems to offer a bigger effect (forgiveness-wise) than side to side to me. But if enough mass can be moved far enough to one side or the other it does seem to make a difference in my ball flight. And certainly makes an even bigger difference in how solid a strike feels vs where weight is.

I did some testing with my previous, and now current drivers to find a feeling and shot that I liked but now they're set. On the TaylorMade M3 I added a little weight and moved them slightly back of neutral. On my Cobra F9, I again added a little weight and moved the heavier of the two back.

Not speaking to shaft adapters to adjust loft or face angle. My question is about movable weights or sliding weights.

Do you use them? Do you find them effective?
I hadn't found sliders effective until this years Callaway MAX LS all the way in the heel

They're effective, but once I find a setting that seemingly works, I don't move mine. One less variable to worry about. It is nice to have though if I noticed a pattern of misses or something I wasn't happy with, but that hasn't happened in months.
Yep this. I’d rather they be there if I need them then not be there at all

I don't use it often but if I see a big change in my ball flight (left or right movement) I'll make an adjustment for whatever help I can get.

I was very surprised in my driver fitting at how persistent my fitter was that he wanted me in a driver with an adjustable weight. He left some heads off the list to try because of it. He truly believes that anyone who is a less then stellar ball striker should have and use the adjustability when they start having issues.

Back