Driver Aerodynamics

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been studying this stuff pretty extensively over the last 72 hours and realized that this video has a lot of the stuff I am sorting through. Aerodynamics is something often under thought by us golfers and here is Mike Yagley and Michael Vrska for THP TV breaking it down in a cool way.

and imagine there was a major brand out there that did not put resources in to developing any type of aerodynamic advancement in their drivers.

So much information!! I can't wait to see the tweaks in Cobra's new lineup.

I love listening to Mike talk, still one of my favorite experiences at the Morgan Cup. It's pretty interesting to think how difficult it is to add effective aerodynamics to a driver head.

I know a few years back there was a big push for aerodynamics as a selling point, but I feel like we haven't seen that as much these days. I know there is still a lot of work going into it, but is part of that just that it didn't resonate?

I could listen to Yagley talking about this stuff forever.

Therefore, Ping's Turbulator technology should now increase their driver/fw metals sales exponentially!
To infinity and beyond...

Therefore, Ping's Turbulator technology should now increase their driver/fw metals sales exponentially!
To infinity and beyond...

Are they truly effective though? I thought I recalled something posted in the G30 or G driver threads about the effect of Turbulators for lower swing speed players being minimal (only proving fully effective for higher swing speed) and next to nonexistent on fairways and hybrids and just an alignment aid.

and I just thought that stuff was for looks

This is a great video. When Yags says that the biggest misconception is that it doesn't matter and that every little bit counts is huge.

The need for more distance will always be out there.

Are they truly effective though? I thought I recalled something posted in the G30 or G driver threads about the effect of Turbulators for lower swing speed players being minimal (only proving fully effective for higher swing speed) and next to nonexistent on fairways and hybrids and just an alignment aid.

Ping did say that after G30 was released.
Their Dragonfly Tech on the crown is interesting and Marty Jertson told the group of THPers it assisted in some weight savings as there is more on the underside as well.

Ping did say that after G30 was released.
Their Dragonfly Tech on the crown is interesting and Marty Jertson told the group of THPers it assisted in some weight savings as there is more on the underside as well.

Over the last two years I've had the opportunity to hear both Marty and Mike discuss aerodynamics in person and it's very interesting hearing them both talk about it. I can't remember exactly at what swing speed the aero tech begins to be effective but my takeaway was that it is definitely legit. I think Marty said their testing added something like .6 or .8 mph (I should have brought a note pad!) with Turbulators which doesn't sound like a ton, but when you consider what they are working with and the limits on clubs that can be huge.

Before listening to Mike last year I was completely skeptical of aerodynamics impact on a driver but since then I'm bought in. Even if there is no substantial gain the placebo effect may help with confidence.

I can see the day when the driver head at address is the size of a hybrid but as it gets closer to impact the head expands increasing the size of face and releasing all the stored energy created during the downswing. I think the science behind aerodynamics is an open book and the limits are only inhibited by the lack of creativity. The challenge is to be successful with the thousands of different swings from the everyday golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bumping this one per request.
Two of the smartest in golf talking tech here.

That was excellent and well presented. I am very interested in how aerodynamics plays a role in the design of the golf club.

Neat insight from Ping...

And then there's this...

Callaway also collaborated with Boeing on their heads shapes. Realistically, with a swing that only lasts a second, gains aren't going to be massive but every little bit helps.

Last edited:
Gotta love the G30 turbulator song video. I'm in the camp that questions if aerodynamics really helps those of us who are speed challenged much at all. I suspect it does not.

Mark Crossfield / James Robinson posted a driver video and the G30 still holds up matching or exceeding both guys current fitted drivers.

Dave

Such a cool video. I wish I had an ounce of the club design knowledge that Yags and Vrska have.

Can’t beat a Yags/Vrksa Tech Talk such an informative watch

Aerodynamics is the next past thing. What do I mean? I mean, the tech story in golf clubs is much the same as fashion. It all comes full circle at some point.

The current big iron tech is hollow irons. That was done years ago. Yes, they have changed things since taylormade came out with the ICW and burner irons many years ago. (y)

I mean Everyone has chased and is chasing aerodynamics.

I am sure there have been major major statistical improvements in that area. Adams did it with the speedline and fast 12 drivers, TM did it with the 2014 aero Burner (remember the fin on the hosel). Ping has done it with the dragon fly. Everyone has been trying to reduce drag for years now. Except for maybe Titleist... :unsure:

I think with the face of the driver being maxed. The ball being maxed. The only way to get more distance is to create more speed. That is why drivers are longer. Many are now "standard" at 45.5 or longer. they are ligher. I think when I weighed my epic flash subzero it was like 191 grams. That is why counter balanced shafts have become pretty popular.

the goal now is to create speed so that you can max out the equation Force = mass x acceleration. It is much easier to increase the acceleration part and get more than it is to increase the mass part. Now if you can increase mass and speed. Katie bar the door.

Back