Driver dilemma- distance vs accuracy?

tdinbr

Water hazards are tough!
Reaction score
Handicap
A few weeks ago I developed a long crack where the face of my Mizuno JPX-800 driver is attached to the head. Contacted Mizuno and they asked me to send it in to them to see if I can have it replaced under warranty. Great customer service by the way.

Had to go back to my old driver, 9.0 degree Nickent 4DX Evolver that I haven't played in over a year or so. Felt so much heavier than the Mizuno but I got used to it again on the range and ironed out the kinks in it before taking it out on the course.

Had one of my best driving rounds ever this past Sunday, only missing 2 fairways and both of those not by much. Only thing is, I cannot hit it nearly as far as the Mizuno. My best with the 4DX was 280 yds., and I'd say my avg. was about 260. With the Mizuno I was avg. right at 280 with the occasional 300 yarder but I was nowhere near as consistent hitting fairways.

So, I have a dilemma.....do I stick with the fairway hitting machine of the 4DX or start shopping around (if Mizuno does not send me a warranty replacement) for a new driver?

Just thought, I'd throw it out there to see how my fellow THP'ers feel on the subject...

Fairways. No question about it.

With the correct fitting driver and shaft combo, you should be able to get both distance and accuracy. That being said, I'd take a 260 avg in the fairway any day.

Agreed with the above posters. It's tons of fun to hit the long ball, but 260-280 in the fairway is awesome. I'd gladly take a 6-8I from the short stuff over a 9I or PW out of the rough.

Like others said, at that distance, I'd take the fairways. I'd rather have a 7I out of the fairway than an 8I or 9I out of the nasty stuff!

Agreed with the above posters. It's tons of fun to hit the long ball, but 260-280 in the fairway is awesome. I'd gladly take a 6-8I from the short stuff over a 9I or PW out of the rough.

this right here

Being in my mid sixties I must look at distance first, then I try to find something that is fairly accurate without losing too much distance. An average drive for me is 225 to 230 so I really need to be fairly accurate.

I'll take fairway all day with those numbers. Any time I'm in the fairway at or around the 150 yard marker I'm confident ill be on the green in reg and getting some birdies and lots of pars. Hitting 260-280 should have you in that sweet spot all day.

Play a few more rounds with the 4Dx and see if your accuracy really is higher with that driver.

If it is, then you don't have a dilemma at all. Im hitting the fairway 70% of the time and averaging just over 260yrds with my driver these days and if you told me I could pick
20 more yards or 20% more fairways, I would take fairways every time.

That's not even a question...I would take the 260-280 in the fairway everyday!

If your missed fairways are still hitable (i.e. not penalty risks), I'd go with longer over straighter. 2 less clubs on average is a big advantage I'd think (for me it would be anyway). Good luck!

P.S. If you play a lot and get the Miz back, keep track of your scores, fairways hit and gir stats with your old driver, then compare once you get back to hitting Miz. I'd say whichever leads to more GIR or better scores on average would be the one for you.

I'd take 260-280 in the fairway any day.

Agreed 260-280 in the fairway beats 280-300 in the woods/lake/where ever it may land.

I agree go get fit. I wish I had of when I bought my R11.

Fairways are always good. And its easy to find the ball there. Game more enjoyable and cheaper that way!!

For me,I'd rather have a mid iron from the fairway than a 4 iron 20 yards further,.if you know what I mean

Uh, I thought you mentioned that you had a dilemma? :confused2:

Consistent 260-280 in the fairway, IMHO, is much more conducive to lower scores then a 20-40 additional yard shot that ends up somewhere off the fairway. I am not a long hitter by any stretch of the imagination (my short game starts at the tee). However, I am much more likely to achieve a GIR if my 2nd and/or additional shots are from the fairway vs. anywhere else.

Take the fairways. Wayward drives can cost so many strokes.

I guess that old saying that the woods are full of long hitters is true...

Accuracy. Tour players who consistently win normally have the highest driving accuracy percentages.

I think it depends on:
a) which club results in lower scores (for you on your course)
b) what floats your boat (do you REALLY get a jolt out of hitting it long)

How much more accurate is the shorter club? 2 more fairways? 5?

With your swing speed coming out of the rough may not be that big a problem.

I wish I had this problem. I am short with all clubs and all balls so I MUST be in the fairway.

I wouldnt focus on how many fairways you hit, I would focus on how many greens you hit that day. If you hit less greens or the same amount, Id take distance.

Back