Driver fitting - wrong grip size

Nippon Shafts

AUWU11

Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
9.0 GHIN
I had a driver fitting today, and the demo I used had a standard grip. I have +2 wraps on all of my other clubs and my previous driver. I was using too much right hand today and was turning the club over at impact. With my +2 grips, I have a draw, but today was a ton of monster hooks. Could the smaller grip have led to more right-hand turn over? Or is it just coincidence?

Danimal

Srixon/Cleveland/XXIO Enthusiast
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I had a driver fitting today, and the demo I used had a standard grip. I have +2 wraps on all of my other clubs and my previous driver. I was using too much right hand today and was turning the club over at impact. With my +2 grips, I have a draw, but today was a ton of monster hooks. Could the smaller grip have led to more right-hand turn over? Or is it just coincidence?
It’s possible if you weren’t comfortable. I play a midsize with two extra wraps and it always feels off when I hit a demo driver.

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
Grip size matters, yes. That said, even with too small of a grip size you should be able to get a sense of whether the shaft weight and flex , loft, impact sound etc... is a good fit for you.

OGputtnfool

Do it this way, no that way, no... oh, nevemind!
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I can see that and makes me wonder about a full fitting now, too. I don't use a midsize, but the +4 grips I use are significantly different from "standard" grips. Makes one wonder why fitters don't just blow them on so they could be switched in a matter of seconds.

DG_1234

Reaction score
Handicap
I can see that and makes me wonder about a full fitting now, too. I don't use a midsize, but the +4 grips I use are significantly different from "standard" grips. Makes one wonder why fitters don't just blow them on so they could be switched in a matter of seconds.
That question is one of several I have which makes me skeptical of fittings.

cbaker2882

Ohio - not as cold, now just wet
Albatross 2020 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Just a difference of +2 wraps? No, that's not going to be causing that much of an issue. Maybe change things SLIGHTLY, but no not much. I use midsized + 2 top and 4 bottom and did an entire fitting with standard grips and everything was fine. It could have just been an issue of doing it in a bay instead of outside, or their alignment of their equipment that could be causing the flight to be different. Monster hooks though because of 2 less wraps of tape? No.

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in