Driver head specs interpretation/clarification

OGputtnfool

Reaction score
Handicap
Can anyone explain the annotations on this head?

SIMTour.PNG

Specifically, FA, CTF, CTI, Ra1, Ra2, HT, T, CF, H, and LH.

I could but you’d have to pay me (because I’d have to look a couple of them up). Tour head, exact specs.

Too much loft though. This ain’t loft up time anymore, right Bryson?

(I’ve always been a “crank that **** down” sort of guy).

I could but you’d have to pay me (because I’d have to look a couple of them up). Tour head, exact specs.

Too much loft though. This ain’t loft up time anymore, right Bryson?

(I’ve always been a “crank that **** down” sort of guy).

I'm actually fine with that because I want to be able to open up that face at address which will, theoretically, lower the loft.

Oh I’ve never looked at that as a loft lowering adventure, more of an open up the face one.

Still a lot of loft. I know with your shaft choices you get the ball, ahem, airborne as well.

Get down to stupid low lofts and hit up on the ball 5* or so. You’ll see some amazing results.

Plus the face will be as open as possible.

No one?

Email Will Peoples.

He’ll know and I’ve found him super knowledgeable and heard nothing but great things from him.

He may talk you into a club though, lol.

I also know @Golfers Anonymous here may know. I don’t know how many Tour heads he messes with though.

Well the CTF and CTI are obviously some exact versions of CT tests on the face. They're in milliseconds a ball stays in contact with the face, and when we hear about a driver failing a test it's gone over 257 on one or both of those I assume. Ra1 and Ra2 should be something about the texture of the face. It's usually kind of a roughness/smoothness descriptor. That's all I got without doing some research. Not within my knowledge base.

Specifically, FA, CTF, CTI, Ra1, Ra2, HT, T, CF, H, and LH.

FA = Face Angle (positive is open)
CTF/CTI = characteristic time. My understanding is that the additional letter measures the speed of the face at different specific locations ('F' and 'I') where A is the center.
HT = Height (sole to crown) * Not positive on this

No clue on the others.

Try asking Chris Trott of Taylormade via his Instagram page.

Lot more on that head than the Tour Burner '07 TP I have. No CT1,2,3,4 info back then.
I know you have an open face by 1.1º already, so open it up more with caution. ;)
(-1.1 would have indicated a closed face angle.)
I think the 2 CT readings are for QA more or less? Two measurements just to be sure? Maybe two more spots for truly dedicated "Tour" heads.
They push it as close as possible on tour. That head they probably measured halfway so to speak? They may do two more tests to find the truly "hottest" heads to give to the pros. Yours may be a "starter" tour head, as boggling as that may be to think about.

quick google search and someone else asked your exact question posting a very similar pic. an answer was given by another member (may or may not be an industry person) who said:

fa = face angle, positive number means face open, negative closed
ctf and cti could be testing ct at different parts of the face since twist face could result in different measurements
cta might mean ct test out of the middle of the face
ctb might mean ct test slightly toe side

Back